autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaf blower followed by detailer

Hi I just purchased a black car. In order to reduce swirls and light scratches, I am using leaf blower after mechanical wash.being a black car it is not perfect I see many imperfections like water not fully gone spots etc. I do use a quick detailer to finish off and to remove last drops of water.
    Question is doesn't this defeat the purpose? If I blow dry Instead of towel drying and then go over it to finish off with a microfiber with a quick detailer or quick wax, how is this better than just towel drying with a drying aid?
    People with black or dark colored cars are you satisfied with just leaf blower,or do you finish off with something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leaf blower followed by detailer

Quote Originally Posted by aqus View Post
    Hi I just purchased a black car. In order to reduce swirls and light scratches, I am using leaf blower after mechanical wash.being a black car it is not perfect I see many imperfections like water not fully gone spots etc. I do use a quick detailer to finish off and to remove last drops of water.
    Question is doesn't this defeat the purpose? If I blow dry Instead of towel drying and then go over it to finish off with a microfiber with a quick detailer or quick wax, how is this better than just towel drying with a drying aid?
    People with black or dark colored cars are you satisfied with just leaf blower,or do you finish off with something else?
    The benefit of using a dryer or leaf blower is that reduces the amount of towels you use or need to wring out per car. After blowing the car, I only use 1 or two small 16x16 FTW towels with a drying aid to finish off.

How effective drying a car solely by air will depend on what LSP you have on the car. This is where ceramic coatings excel, but waxes and sealants allow for this too, although not quite as well. Last week I had to give my Mustang an express wash, I foamed the car down, rinsed and then air dried, no towel touched the paint. Doing this does mean you have to be a bit more methodical in your technique to avoid water drips.

3. Thanks aqus thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, SNP209, CleanIT, PaulMys, aqus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the car is absolutely clean 100% and you are using a quality towel you should not have any issues. I blow dry mine though.

5. Thanks aqus thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have 2 black vehicles..one coated and topped with can coat evo, other is not coated at moment. Leaf blower is extremely more effective on a coated car. Un coated vehicle always gets a wipe down after a blow to clean up what water didnt fully leave the surface. Coated vehicle...For a quicky ill just blow it off, it shes getting makeup then ill do a final wipe down with 3d bead it up. It is quicker for me to do it this way...so i dont chance water spotting.

Anytime you touch the surface you always take the risk of marring the paint. But that risk is miniscule if its a clean surface like luckydawg said. Unless you have soft clear

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7. Thanks aqus thanked for this post
    Likes DFB, CleanIT, aqus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use air as much as I can. I think what I like most about good beading is how easy it is to dry the car with air. I can then follow up with a towel if needed and a detailer.

9. Thanks aqus thanked for this post
    Likes opie, PaulMys, DFB, aqus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    I use air as much as I can. I think what I like most about good beading is how easy it is to dry the car with air. I can then follow up with a towel if needed and a detailer.
    ^^^This^^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Thanks aqus thanked for this post
    Likes aqus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Air dry as much as possible followed by a detailed spritz n towel ( never a towel alone on the little bit of water droplets left on paint).
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

13. Thanks aqus thanked for this post
    Likes aqus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have 2 black cars and use a leaf blower, also the CR spotless. I added a small foam filter to the leaf blower intake, don’t want it to become a sandblaster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aqus View Post
    I do use a quick detailer to finish off and to remove last drops of water.
    Yep, that’s the way I see it. I only have a Metro Sidekick, but even if I had a Master Blaster or equivalent blow dryer, I don’t think I’d like the idea of using it as my primary method of drying because I’d still probably feel the need to go over most of the paint with a towel and some form of lubricant aka detail spray in order to get that perfect finish.

IMO the best way to go about it is to towel dry immediately after the final rinse and then blow dry the nooks & crannies while chasing the drips with a small drying towel.

Trying to touch a dried vehicle even if you’re spraying detail spray along the way seems like an unnecessary tedious task which will require a much heavier hand than if you were to simply glide your drying towel across the paint while it’s still wet.

You don’t really even need a “drying aid”

Post Thanks / Like

Ever since I started using PFM towels I eliminated the need for a drying aid
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

17. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast