autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What can I put on top of blackfire pro ceramic coating.

Hi Mike, question, I just applied the blackfire pro ceramic coating to my new 2020 BMW X 4 M40i white in color my question is can I use pinnacle crystal mist detailer over it after washing the vehicle later on? Also can I use pinnacle signature ll carnuaba wax on top of the ceramic coating it does state there are no cleaners in it but the label says something about it having mineral spirits in it. I also have pinnacle sio2 spray which I was told that I can use over the coating. Can I use any of the items mentioned.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can I put on top of blackfire pro ceramic coating.

Don’t use the wax over the coating. The other two products would be fine. Use the SiO2 spray every few months and the Detailer could be used more often.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

So it’s safe to say the crystal mist detailer does not contain any cleaners, I was told not to use anything that contained cleaners.
    Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, use the SiO2 spray every few months or like I do, every 6 weeks.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom01 View Post
    So it’s safe to say the crystal mist detailer does not contain any cleaners, I was told not to use anything that contained cleaners.
    Thanks for the info
    The problem is when it contains abrasives for the cleaning like and AIO would. That would damage the coating. If it was just a chemical cleaner then it’s fine, the coating is very resistant to chemicals, not so much against abrasives. A quick detailer is fine as it helps add lubricity when you dry the vehicle.

Don’t start adding too much hoping to extend the life of the coating, you risk masking the coatings properties and seeing just those of the inferior topper. I prefer to have a shorter but better life for the coating.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Just wrote an article about this - this week...

Can I apply a wax over the top of a ceramic coating?

I get this question a lot. I see this question posted elsewhere a lot.

Here's the question and the answer.

Can I apply a wax over the top of a ceramic coating?

Yes.

There's no "law" against it but when you put ANY wax or sealant over an Si02 product you then get the benefits and features of the wax or sealant versus the Si02 product and that defeats the purpose of using the Si02 product because generally speaking, ceramic coatings offer MORE benefits.

Here's what I do - after installing a ceramic coating to one of my cars - after that I either do a waterless wash or I wash with the Wolfgang Uber Si02 Coating Wash. For a waterless wash I tend to use SONAX Glass Cleaner.

I don't apply a wax over the coating. I don't apply a sealant over the coating.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom01 View Post

Thanks for the info

The word cleaners is kind of broad, water is a cleaner.

I think what they mean by cleaners is abrasives, for example don't use a "polish".

The best thing you can do for a coated car, or ANY thing on a car is learn to wash and dry it CAREFULLY.

Then - DO find a maintenance product of some type that is compatible with your coating. This can be any of these,

• Spray detailer
    • Spray wax
    • Spray sealant
    • Spray Booster

I will be happy to be the first to admit - it is confusing.

Here's the deal, even though washing keeps the coating CLEAN so it can do it's job, there is something to be said for revitalizing and thus maximizing the gloss, clarity, slickness and shine by doing something or applying something to the finish after first washing or wiping the paint clean.

The good news is there are a LOT of great products to choose from.

Post Thanks / Like

The best rule of thumb to look at is if it wasn't made for a coating, don't use it on a coating. The reason I say that is because some of the products like pure waxes or sealants will ruin the coating's best features and mask it, so for all the time you spent doing up a coating, you basically just masked it by putting on the wax/sealant.

I would say the only exception would be if the wax was made for a coating. My favourite example is Pinnacle Black Label Synergy. Reacts well on a coating but it's fairly obvious that it will only last a month or so and Synergy is a pretty durable wax. So if you really want to put something that'll last longer than the SiO2 sprays and it has an amazing glow, that's what I would suggest.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    For a waterless wash I tend to use SONAX Glass Cleaner.

I've seen you mention this before and somewhere I've watched a video where you used that product as a clay lube for either for a clay substitute pad either by hand or on a DA. It really offers that much lubrication? I would never expect that from a glass cleaner.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

For a waterless wash I tend to use SONAX Glass Cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I've seen you mention this before and somewhere I've watched a video where you used that product as a clay lube for either for a clay substitute pad either by hand or on a DA.

It really offers that much lubrication? I would never expect that from a glass cleaner.

Yes.

First - SONAX themselves recommend it for a clay pad lubricant. I just took that recommendation to the limit and I use that sh*t on everything.

I love it for a waterless when I'm doing a PREP wash. This means I'm PREPPING the car to buff it out. The glass cleaner cuts through normal dirt plus road film.

I do use it for a maintenance wash on my own cars because they never get that dirty AND I'm going to apply the PBL Surface Coating next.

Always a rhyme to the reason...

Here's an article on this topic,

SONAX Glass Cleaner as a Prep Wash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast