autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Marks after buffing the polish off

Hi. After polishing my black car with autoglym srp, I've noticed that when its parked in the sun, there are marks from when the polish has been buffed off. I think its called paint marring. I use a 600 gsm microfiber to rub the polish off. I use a microfiber applicator to apply the polish.
    I know the marks come from when I have buffed the polish off because they go in the same way as how I rubbed to get the polish off. In the past, I polished the car in the sun, and when the marks appeared, I wiped using my microfiber in a up and down way and they disappeared..... However, sometimes they dont
    Can anyone help? Could it be that I am not working the polish in correctly? Or rubbing the polish of too early?
    Btw, I do let the polish dry to a haze before rubbing off....
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marks after buffing the polish off

Quote Originally Posted by Octaviavrs View Post
    Hi. After polishing my black car with autoglym srp, I've noticed that when its parked in the sun, there are marks from when the polish has been buffed off. I think its called paint marring. I use a 600 gsm microfiber to rub the polish off. I use a microfiber applicator to apply the polish.
    I know the marks come from when I have buffed the polish off because they go in the same way as how I rubbed to get the polish off. In the past, I polished the car in the sun, and when the marks appeared, I wiped using my microfiber in a up and down way and they disappeared..... However, sometimes they dont
    Can anyone help? Could it be that I am not working the polish in correctly? Or rubbing the polish of too early?
    Btw, I do let the polish dry to a haze before rubbing off....
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    What kind of polish? Hit with some apc like optimium power clean at 5-1. That should get rid of it. Its worked for me whenever ive had an oily type film. it sounds like thats what you have. You could also try a panel wipe product. Id wipe it with the opc, rinse with water then apply an lsp if its gone. Im not an expert though so see what everyone else says.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    What kind of polish? Hit with some apc like optimium power clean at 5-1. That should get rid of it. Its worked for me whenever ive had an oily type film. it sounds like thats what you have. You could also try a panel wipe product. Id wipe it with the opc, rinse with water then apply an lsp if its gone. Im not an expert though so see what everyone else says.
    I used autoglym super resin polish..... I dont seem to have that much of a problem when I use poorboys black hole

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Octaviavrs View Post
    I used autoglym super resin polish..... I dont seem to have that much of a problem when I use poorboys black hole
    ya i dont really know that product but i like to use a polish that only polishes. then use a wax/sealant that only seals. My life is easier that way lol. black hole is a glaze its meant to clean and fill but then be topped with a wax/sealant. You have to really make sure you know what you are using and why you are using it.

I'd honestly stick with stuff sold here. I have no affiliation with this place but you cant go wrong with the house brands, miguiars and griots is great too. All the stuff they sell here is used, and vetted, Ad nauseam by the posters. Thats just a fact. Not saying there is no other good brands but its a great starting point really.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Super Resin Polish is like a synthetic cleaner wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Can Autogylm be polished in the sun?

Post Thanks / Like

Hand or machine application?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Hand or machine application?
    Hand application

Post Thanks / Like

You may be running into this issue mainly because of applying the product in the sun. When you do this, the panels are now warm or even hot. With the panels being at higher temperatures, you are kind of cooking the product onto the panel and then it gets harder to buff off. Then, as it is now harder to buff off, you are naturally going to press harder. I believe the micro marring is coming from pressing so hard when buffing the product off after it has [cooked] onto the panel.

Try stripping it off with an IPA wipedown and then go at it again in the shade and see if the same markings appear once finished. Btw, are you doing any type of paint correction prior to applying the polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hanson View Post
    You may be running into this issue mainly because of applying the product in the sun. When you do this, the panels are now warm or even hot. With the panels being at higher temperatures, you are kind of cooking the product onto the panel and then it gets harder to buff off. Then, as it is now harder to buff off, you are naturally going to press harder. I believe the micro marring is coming from pressing so hard when buffing the product off after it has [cooked] onto the panel.

Try stripping it off with an IPA wipedown and then go at it again in the shade and see if the same markings appear once finished. Btw, are you doing any type of paint correction prior to applying the polish?
    I dont usually do any type of paint correction before applying the polish. I usually wash and dry the car before applying the polish. My paintwork doesn't really need a paint correction as it is in pretty good condition