autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dust magnet-Lucas slick mist speed wax

I need to find a different product to use. Last summer and this summer, I have been using the Lucas Slick Mist, Speed Wax.

The problem I'm having is this stuff is like a dust magnet, worse than sticky fly paper, as far as holding dust like glue.

I need to find a alternate product and I'm open to suggestions. The car in question is a black Chevelle.

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Re: Dust magnet-Lucas slick mist speed wax

Tough problem. Like I say,

"Black is not a color, it's a full time job"

And static is a environmental problem, see here,

Static Electricity and Dust Attraction to your Car's Paint

The spray wax I use and really like is this one...

It goes on easy, wipes off easy, doesn't streak, makes the paint shiny and slick. This isn't now sales pitch, it is what I really use on my own truck.

Review - NEW BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray Wax!

But to be honest....

Anytime you're WIPING paint with a dry cloth, you're going to create a charge in your car's paint and body panel and thus increase static electricity in the panel that will attract dust in the air that has it's own static charge.

There's nothing you can do to avoid this if what you use includes wiping over the panel with a dry cloth.

Wiping over a surface with water acts to remove static electricity but it will come back.

One thing you can do to help is to use a product that is dry after wipe-off and not oily in any way and that is most quality spray waxes and detailers.

Disclaimer: I've never used Lucas Slick Mist, Speed Wax so I have no real-world opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou very much for your advice. I'll try out your recommended product and technique. I have to do something different to try and minimize this problem. If I have the carcover off for 15 min in the garage it looks like I drove thru a dust storm

Your right has far a black paint goes, it's more than a full time job But........It's what she wanted... a Blk 66 Chevelle. My chevelle is red much much easier to keep looking nice.

Regards
    Anderson3754

Post Thanks / Like

Just info for others the Lucas product is very oily when all done. It has a nice shine, but leaves that oily film.
    I'm sure others are satisfied with this product, it's just not working out very well for me.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for a QD type product that has anti static properties, FK425 has always done well for me. As for an LSP that repels dust Very well, Meguiars UFF has been amazing. I have to say that UFF has repelled dust better than any product I have ever used. I just ordered 3 more cans!

Post Thanks / Like

I love this product for drying aid/spray wax megs d156, may not be best at dust repelling but I don't have any issues with it and don't think dust "clings" to it particularly more than any other spray waxes. Try meguiars ultimate quick wax if you don't want to buy a gallon size.

Meguiars Synthetic X-press Spray Wax, X-press car wax, Meguiars X-press spray liquid wax, D156

I have used UFF a few times and as fly07sti said, the dust repelling properties are the best I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle of Lucas Slick Mist on the shelf. I tried it before discovering this forum and didn't know any better. It's been there so long it may have gone bad by now. It does leave an oily film that holds onto dust. When I tried it in my garage, I went in to eat a sandwich, came back out and it was covered in dust. I noticed when I tried to blow it off, the dust wouldn't budge. Had to wash the car again. I later found Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. It was the best OTC quick detailer/drying aid I have used prior to learning what I have here. I still use it from time to time. Like was said earlier, a product that dries completely will help with dust.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I second what Mike said. It's a great product and you easily get 4-6 weeks of longevity from it too as it's a sparay was and not just a detailing spray.

These were all wiped down with it and had not been touched with an LSP for months prior to the BFMSCW

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure it is not a static electricity problem?

Post Thanks / Like

I use many different spray doo dads but usually only as a drying aid after onr, Lucas doesnt attract dust for me when used like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast