autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What can I use to remove Overspray on Trim and rubber areas?

I figure I put this in this section so get mikes thoughts on it because I know that you have come across this at some point. Anyway here the situation, I have a new 2016 honda pilot come to me with little white spot all over. The owner says that she noticed it after her neighbor (she lives in a town home area so she shares a parking lot) was trying to remove oil from his spot with biodegradable clay.

Thinking it was maybe just clay I figure try a little APC and pressure wash it off and I got nothing. Then I tried degreaser, tarminator, xenit, body solvent, alcohol, goo gone, wd40,lacquer thinner (not on the trim) and got nowhere. So I was like ok, clay it is.

After doing a foam bath with CG Maxi Suds II and wash I went on to clay with the Nanoskin Fine autoscrub pad with the PC to see if that would work. I got nothing from that at all. Then moved to the medium, same result. Finally I went to the claymagic medium grade and after hours of working the paint I finally made progress removing the overspray (I felt like I pitched a 15 inning baseball game).

I went on and did the same for the windows and now I am stuck with overspray on the trim. I tried the same stuff I used on the paint other than the wd40, goo gone and LT and got nothing. I also tried steam and a scrub brush and got nothing.

Does anyone have anything I can do to get this stuff off the trim? I'm open to trying anything. Thanks and ill get some pictures up tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can I use to remove Overspray on Trim and rubber areas?

Try some graffiti removal at Home Depot or latex paint remover.I had success with both products.Do a test spot depending on rubber and its current condition.use out of the sun as well good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump! Interested in hearing what Mike has to say!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I'll try it. The car is brand new, I'm more afraid of doing more damage. The picture I took didn't come out that great and they just look like regular white speck overspray. I did well on the sides but the roof was horrable. Yes I can't wait to get some more I put on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 808_detail_nut View Post
    I figure I put this in this section so get mikes thoughts on it because I know that you have come across this at some point. Anyway here the situation, I have a new 2016 honda pilot come to me with little white spot all over. The owner says that she noticed it after her neighbor (she lives in a town home area so she shares a parking lot) was trying to remove oil from his spot with biodegradable clay.

Thinking it was maybe just clay I figure try a little APC and pressure wash it off and I got nothing. Then I tried degreaser, tarminator, xenit, body solvent, alcohol, goo gone, wd40,lacquer thinner (not on the trim) and got nowhere. So I was like ok, clay it is.

After doing a foam bath with CG Maxi Suds II and wash I went on to clay with the Nanoskin Fine autoscrub pad with the PC to see if that would work. I got nothing from that at all. Then moved to the medium, same result. Finally I went to the claymagic medium grade and after hours of working the paint I finally made progress removing the overspray (I felt like I pitched a 15 inning baseball game).

I went on and did the same for the windows and now I am stuck with overspray on the trim. I tried the same stuff I used on the paint other than the wd40, goo gone and LT and got nothing. I also tried steam and a scrub brush and got nothing.

Does anyone have anything I can do to get this stuff off the trim? I'm open to trying anything. Thanks and ill get some pictures up tomorrow.
    your very limited on soft rubber and trim,although you may want to try chemical guys black clay it treated me good on rubber with a coated heavey overspray,clay magic from Automagic is kinda weak.

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of you ever tried a solvent cleaner?
    There is one solvent cleaner which I have used to remove overspray and that really annoying road paint.
    I have had a customer run a freshly detailed Z06 through yellow stripes that were just painted.
    This product has been fail safe for me through many years as I have used it since 1990. It is called Speedy 500 and it is a body solvent that body shops use and I have always relied on it.
    Yes it is hotter than Acrysol that is used for general purpose cleaning. Kent Industries is whom manufactures it and sells it only through your local bodyshop and Kent distributor and this is professional grade so you must be careful with it but it will always seem to do the job. . . . It has for me . . . . Hope this helps you all out . . . . .
    Last edited by hkirch74; 03-02-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: wanted to put more in the quote