autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Removes 1200 grit sanding marks that's aggressive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?-img_20160221_42514-jpg   POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?-img_20160221_14361-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I think it's the abrasives, then pads then paint.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StephenK View Post
    I used 105 cause it is a good quality product that everybody knows but has given alot of people troubles at first. And to be honest you are first person I have seen that has said it worked flawless the very first time you used it. Not doubting you
    I do a lot of research before buying new products. I also start out with reading the directions on the product label. After first trying it how the manufacturer recommends I venture out with my own idea or ideas from the detailing community for how to get even better results.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta go with technique.... No matter what you are using, if you don't know how to use it you're beat
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Mike Phillips

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

In my opinion, and this is just one man's perspective on this topic, the most important factor out of the 5 options listed when it comes to polishing paint is the abrasive technology.

Technique
    Most people say technique is the most important factor but if you're using compounds, polishes or cleaner/waxes that don't use great abrasive technology then all the technique in the world won't change the results.

Paint
    Some people say the paint is the most important factor but in the big picture the paint can either be polished or it can't. If it can and the compounds, polishes and/or cleaner/waxes you're using don't use great abrasive technology then your not going to get great results no matter what type of paint your're polishing. If the paint in question is past the point of no return so that nothing can fix it then the question of whether the paint is the most important factor is a moot point.

Tool
    Some people say the tool is the most important factor But if you're using compounds, polishes and/or cleaner/waxes that don't use great abrasive technology then your choice of tool won't matter because it's the abrasives that come into contact with the paint first - not the tool.

Pad
    Some people say the pad is the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint but if the abrasive technology isn't great or even good then it doesn't matter what type of pad you choose because the abrasives come into contact with the paint surface first... not the pad.

When it comes to polishing paint - the abrasive technology must be able to remove defects without leaving its own defects at the same time.

Now days there are a lot of high quality compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes on the market so it's easier than ever to correct and polish paint to perfection.

That said, there are still compound, polish and cleaner/wax options on the market that don't use great abrasive technology. These products may have the ability to remove defects but due to whatever they are made from or how they are made, after being worked against the surface they leave behind their own marks or scratch patterns.

This could be micro-marring, DA haze or tick marks if using some type of orbital polisher or deep holograms if using a rotary buffer or even scouring if working by hand.

If you're using products that use sub-standard abrasive technology then all the technique in the world won't change this aspect of the equation - that is technique won't make bad abrasive technology good abrasive technology.

If your using products that don't use great abrasive technology to start with then the paint doesn't matter because the products you're using don't work.

If your products that don't use great abrasive technology then the tool of choice or even working by hand won't matter because your products don't work.

If your using products that don't use great abrasive technology then the pad won't matter because the pad material won't make up for the lack of quality in the abrasive technology.

For the reasons listed above, at least in my opinion and experience, polishing paint starts first with the abrasive technology.

Once you have quality products (compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes), then all of the othe factors come into play, that is using the right tool with the right technique with the right pad.

Again this is just one guy's opinion you can feel free to disagree and I'm sure some will. But it's the abrasive technology that comes into contact with the paint first and for this reason great abrasive technology trumps all othe factors as the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint.

And here's a tip... when testing products always do your testing on blak paint because black paint shows everything.

If your products of choice can make black paint look great they can make any color look great. If the cannot make black paint look great then they are not going to make any color look great it's just with lighter colors it's more difficult for the human eye to detect defects.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for paint!! It is the one thing I cannot control when I buy a car (new or used), or if I was a pro detailer, what paint is on the car when the customer brings it to me... The only way I could know for a fact what paint was on the car, would be to purchase the paint and shoot it myself...

For the other four, if money were no option, I can equip my shop with the best tools, pads, and abrasives... If my wife grabs all of those "bests", do not believe she could polish the paint on our new car better than me, because she has never polished a car... So, #2, would be technique...

The last three in order would be what is closest to the paint: #3 abrasive tech, #4 Pads, and lastly the tool...

But, I'm just an amateur... Can't wait til Mike gives us his answer...

Rogman

Post Thanks / Like

compounds and polishes have come a long way from the horse and carriage days, wow what does the next advancement in compounds and polishes hold

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you can't argue with Mike's explanation and logic.

Post Thanks / Like

I say paint. Usually this debate doesn't include the object being worked which makes me lean on technique but with a lot of thought on the variables. But considering that paint is being worked on and what this revolves around (particularly how much paint questions), I have to go to paint.

Post Thanks / Like

As it has been said this all a matter of opinion. I still believe it is the paint. Reason being is in this thread it was said we all need to assume the paint is actually able to be polished. I assumed all of us here are using good abrasive technology to begin with. And what factors do we all take into consideration when determining the less aggressive method thats gonna work as a starting point?

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast