autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3m or menzerna

Mike Phillips

Re: 3m or menzerna

3M caters to the body shop industry not the detailing industry and the body shop industry historically uses rotary buffers for the majority of all their buffing work. That's why so many cars come out of body shops with holograms. There is more to the reason why body shops are prone to leaving holograms in the paint and I've explained the reasons why numerous times on this forum in multiple threads.

Remember, the only true test and good test of anything with abrasives is black paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't 3M buy Megiuars back in 2008? If so, can it be assumed that 3M now covers everything for the DA detailing markets? And that doesn't really contribute anything to the OP's question but Mike answered the 3M focus on body shops and rotary products. Just wanted to offer my thought on 3M's business approach/expansion to cover the DA users with Megiuars.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanx everyone. Your in depth replies really helped me a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Didn't 3M buy Megiuars back in 2008? If so, can it be assumed that 3M now covers everything for the DA detailing markets? And that doesn't really contribute anything to the OP's question but Mike answered the 3M focus on body shops and rotary products. Just wanted to offer my thought on 3M's business approach/expansion to cover the DA users with Megiuars.
    That's pretty much the way I see it also.

If anyone has access to 3M's annual report from '08 or '09, I believe they actually said something to that effect (just going on semi-memory here).

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Mike Phillips

Didn't 3M buy Meguiar's back in 2008?
    Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    That's pretty much the way I see it also.

If anyone has access to 3M's annual report from '08 or '09, I believe they actually said something to that effect (just going on semi-memory here).

Bill

I've told this story elsewhere on this forum but here's the nutshell version,

It was October of 2008 as I was still working at Meguiar's. Mike Pennington called me at home as I worked for Meguiar's from home running their forum and teaching their classes. He asked me,

"Are you sitting down?"

I said "no".

He said... "you might want to sit down for this"

So I sat down in my chair and he told me that Meguiar's had just been bought by 3M.

So yeah I know all about the 3M purchase and I also know that according to my very good sources at Meguiar's that Meguiar's and 3M don't trade technology. 3M has had the good wisdom to not try to fix something that wasn't and isn't broken.

That said, my comment previously in this thread was at this time 3M does not make any products that are formulated for and designed for use with dual action polishers. The 3M Ultrafine is probably completely safe. But on black paint what I've seen with the compounds is micro-marring when used with DA Polishers.

I shared this thread in my first reply,

For Use with Rotary Buffer Only - Read the Directions

And if you click the above thread link and read post #6 you'll see the screen shot I made and shared that is TYPICAL of the types of questions I get from people using the 3M Perfect-it Compounds with dual action polishers.

I think the article I wrote and the follow-up questions and answers in the discussion that takes place in the thread pretty much explains it all but a person would have to click the thread adn read, not scan the thread to get the complete story.

Didn't 3M buy Meguiar's back in 2008?

If so, can it be assumed that 3M now covers everything for the DA detailing markets?
    They do under the Meguiar's brand but not under the 3M brand which was what I said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12