autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Etched clear coat. Help

I had beer spilled on the front end of my car this past weekend and what do you know.....it etched my paint.

I first tried to polish it out with some klasse all-in-one and a orange Lake Country pad with my PC. Helped a little bit.

Then I switched to a White LC compounding pad and Megs M105....this helped a little but this is where I stopped. Here is a video showing the spots. Any advice would be greatly appreciated but I think I might be out of luck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKa...QapdyXKGfwsH3A

video isn't the greatest quality but hopefully you can see what i'm working with.

Thanks in advance guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Etched clear coat. Help

i was hoping someone could chime in for some advice....hopefully someone with more experience?

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised beer etched your paint. Probably need a pro to do some wet sanding. I don't have the guts to try it on my cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most of us are surprised that beer would etch your paint. Not that I really know because I try to drink mine and keep it off the car.

Is it possible that it's water spot etching that you didn't notice before? What do the spots feel like? Are they smooth or raised?

Did you try any washing of any kind before the polishing? When you say "white LC compounding pad" what do you mean? The white pads AFAIK are polishing pads.

If indeed they are etchings, you can try your M105 on an orange or microfiber pad to get a little more aggressive, or leave them if you think they are too deep to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

this video don't really show the damage or the type of it.
    try to take close up picture with dime or something next to it for focus.
    where do you live ? might be able to find someone from the forum in your area to take look at it.
    AbsoluteAutoDetailing.org

serving long island and NY area. mention AGO for a discount.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think most of us are surprised that beer would etch your paint. Not that I really know because I try to drink mine and keep it off the car.

Is it possible that it's water spot etching that you didn't notice before? What do the spots feel like? Are they smooth or raised?

Did you try any washing of any kind before the polishing? When you say "white LC compounding pad" what do you mean? The white pads AFAIK are polishing pads.

If indeed they are etchings, you can try your M105 on an orange or microfiber pad to get a little more aggressive, or leave them if you think they are too deep to remove.
    Thanks for the great response. Those are definitely not water spots from before. These appeared after the beer dried on the surface of the paint. I can slightly feel them with my fingernail but I was afraid to get more aggressive before asking you guys for advice. Also to clearify in my original post I made a typo. I compounded using M105 with an Orange pad and Polished with a White pad.

Quote Originally Posted by psdnuts View Post
    this video don't really show the damage or the type of it.
    try to take close up picture with dime or something next to it for focus.
    where do you live ? might be able to find someone from the forum in your area to take look at it.
    Here are some pics of the damage. Is there any way to upload bigger pics? I resized them according to the forum uploading specs 640width x 480height but they seem kind of small in my opinion. Also, if anyone is from the Cleveland, Oh. area and is willing to take a look at this for me please let me know.

Etched clear coat. Help-tn_beeretching-001-jpg

Etched clear coat. Help-tn_beeretching-002-jpg

Etched clear coat. Help-tn_beeretching-003-jpg

Etched clear coat. Help-tn_beeretching-004-jpg

Etched clear coat. Help-tn_beeretching-005-jpg

Etched clear coat. Help-tn_beeretching-006-jpg

Etched clear coat. Help-tn_beeretching-007-jpg

Etched clear coat. Help-tn_beeretching-009-jpg

Etched clear coat. Help-tn_beeretching-010-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that sucks. As far as the pictures, it works better if you upload them to your gallery and link them from there, use the "insert image" icon (yellow square with mountains).

They almost look like bird poop etches with that crazed kind of surface, if you've already done 105/orange it's likely to take quite a bit to get them out. Let's see if someone from your area chimes in, I know there are some pro's out there in Ohio, not sure if they are in the Cleveland area.

Post Thanks / Like

Etched clear coat. Help

So, I have to ask 2 questions....

1. How did this happen (please feel free to embellish)

2. Which beer was it?

Other than that, beer is somewhat acidic (~pH 3.5) and I'm sure it has minerals in it. Etching may be catalyzed or supported by the little bit of ETOH in beer.

The short answer how to attempt to fix it is:

- aggressive MF compounding pad with an aggressive compound.

- wet sanding cautiously if that doesn't work.

Bottom line is / worse case scenario - you burn the paint trying to fix it. But, you would be looking at a hood repaint anyway if it gets to that point. At least it seems isolated to the hood.

Post Thanks / Like

take 3000 wet sand paper and make sure its wet. get a spray bottle and small sending pad. maybe a few drops of dish soap. spray away and lightly send down the affected spot. very light . after you stop wipe it dry and see what it looks like….. you will see matt paint where you sanded the spot the affected etching will either be gone to you will see a shiny ring with matt outside and inside… hope you understand what I'm saying.
    if its all matt proceed with compound and pad. if not try just a little bit more or stop if you not confident in your work and try to polish it .
    thats what i can offer without being there to help you out.

what pads and compounds you have ? can you make a list ?
    AbsoluteAutoDetailing.org

serving long island and NY area. mention AGO for a discount.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow, that sucks. As far as the pictures, it works better if you upload them to your gallery and link them from there, use the "insert image" icon (yellow square with mountains).

They almost look like bird poop etches with that crazed kind of surface, if you've already done 105/orange it's likely to take quite a bit to get them out. Let's see if someone from your area chimes in, I know there are some pro's out there in Ohio, not sure if they are in the Cleveland area.
    Thanks for the advice on the pic uploading. I'll see what others say about the damage.

Here's a test pic using your suggested method. Hopefully it comes out better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast