autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Black Label Coating Detailer & Booster - Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

Black Label Coating Detailer & Booster - Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

Back when the Black Label line was introduced I was one of the first people to actually use the Surface Cleansing Polish followed by the Diamond Paint Coating and the Diamond Surface Coating.

After using these products on a few cars, both mine and customers, the first thoughts that went through my mind were,

Now how do I take care of the coating finish?

Now how do I tell my customers to take care of the finish results on their car?
    The answer was a spray detailer and a spray booster was needed in the line. I passed this on to Nick and a few months later the problem has been solved.

Black Label Diamond Coating Booster & Black Label Diamond Coating Detailer

But it wasn't till yesterday, Tuesday January 28th, two days after my January Detailing Boot Camp Class did I have the opportunity to use both products in a real world situation.

On Saturday, my class buffed out my buddy Earl's 1970 El Camino using the Rupes Polishers, pads and polishes. The paint went from a swirled-out mess to a flawless finish.

After we buffed out the paint we applied the Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish and followed this with the Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

The paint looked perfect.

Then... time when by...

On Saturday after we finished the El Camino it sat outside gleaming in the sun. On Sunday, again, the El Camino sat outside gleaming in the sun. On Monday, while I cleaned up the garage and re-organized it from the torture we put it through on Saturday and Sunday, Earl's El Camino sat outside.

After sitting outside for at least a portion of three days, the paint had a light dust build-up. Perfect to test out the new Diamond Coating Detailing and Diamond Coating Booster.

Plus... Tuesday would be the day Earl picks up his El Camino and that night he would be showing it off at the local Tuesday Night car show in Stuart.

Spray detailers are for light dust

I can't count how many times I've answered the question,

How dirty is too dirty to safely use a spray detailer?
    But a lot. And the answer is,

Spray detailers are for light dust. Not 4-wheel drive, been in the mud all weekend covered with dried mud dirty cars.

So I asked Nick to lend a hand and he hung around long enough to wipe down the front clip with the detailer and then I wiped down the bed. After wiping the entire El Camino down with the detailer I followed this using the Diamond Coating Booster.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking...

This is light dust...

Diamond Coating Booster

Funny thing, when I'm working... there's never anyone around to take pictures. Suffice to say, I wiped the entire El Camino down using the new Diamond Coating Booster and it maximized the gloss and slickness of the finish.

Now this is how a hotrod 1970 El Camino should look...

Mike Phillips

Re: Black Label Coating Detailer & Booster - Synergistic Chemical Compatability

Like I mentioned above, I'm not 100% sure but outside of any testing Nick and other employees did before the launch of the Black Label coatings, I think I documented the first complete whole car applications of the Black Label coatings before they went public.

Note: Black Label was announced at SEMA which takes place the first week of November each year.

Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Date: Wednesday, October 2nd 2013
    Lady in Red - 1986 Porsche - 4-Step Process

(Asked the owner just last Friday how the paint was looking on the Porsche and he said like the day he picked it up)

Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

Date: Thursday October 24th, 2013
    2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 Show Car Makeover Pictures

Date: Thursday October 17th, 2013
    Candy Apple 1955 Ford F100 with Black Label Diamond Paint Coating
    (This was only to the front clip, hood and fenders, no time for the cab and truck bed due to filming a TV show)

Since SEMA we have applied the Black Label Diamond Paint Coating to two Thursday night project cars.

2013 Dodge Charger - Black Label Diamond Paint Coating- New Rupes Polishers - Pictures & Video

Date: November 14th, 2003

Date: Thursday, November 21st, 2013
    Ready for the Mud!

And I have applied the Black Label Diamond Paint Coating to 3 cars I have privately detailed.

Date: Saturday, November 15th, 2013
    Black Label Diamond Paint Coating on a 2012 Mercedes-Benz E350

Date: Saturday, December 13th, 2013
    How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?

Date: Saturday, December 30th, 2013
    2014 Black Mercedes-Benz E350 detailed by Mike Phillips

So after documenting the above, that is cars I've either buffed out and coated or helped to buff out and coat, the first thing that came to my mind after applying the Paint Coating and the Surface Coating to full cars, (so that would be the red Porsche and the silver Mercedes-Benz SLK 350), was...

I need something to maintain these cars...

In the case of the Porsche, I need and want something for the owner of the Porsche to use to take care of the finish.

The two natural products would be a spray detailer and a spray "wax" except instead of a waxy substance, the spray-on product would need to be chemically similar to the coating.

The two products would need to offer synergistic chemical compatibility as well as be synergistic chemically beneficial. That is similar in chemical make-up.

And the biggest reason why is because after doing all the preparation steps, correction steps, polishing and prepping steps and then finally applying the coatings, I want something that is going to maintain both the results and all the hard work, time and energy that goes behind projects like the above.

To me it seems like a no-brainer. Sure you could maintain the coatings with any spray detailer or any spray wax or spray sealant and when it's your car do as you will.

But for me and my cars and my customer's cars I want to keep everything in the chemical family so to speak. Again, I did the work steps. The cars didn't prep and polish themselves out.

I washed Stacy's SLK on Sunday before the football game and now I'm going to start maintaining it with the Pinnacle Black Label Coating Booster and keep the Pinnacle Black Label Coating Detailer in the Autogeek Detail Bag in the trunk so she can keep the dust off or remove any fresh contaminants.

After washing and drying the finish still looks great but nothing the crisp just waxed look comes from doing something as a part of regular maintenance if you really want this look. It's not that the coatings don't last a long time but to put things in the anal retentive analogy because that fits best for a segment of car enthusiasts that hang out on car detailing forums...

Will the appearance value of a coated car get better and better with time with no maintenance?

The answer is "no" and what's the opposite of better and better?

For me and my customers, it's a no brainer to keep it in the family for best results.

On Autogeek.net

Black Label Diamond Coating Booster

Black Label Diamond Coating Detailer

Black Label Diamond Coating Maintenance Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Label Coating Detailer & Booster - Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

Great Review!

"...
    I need something to maintain these cars...
    "...

Complete F.A.Q., great demonstration. I have my own vehicle coated and coated some clients and all the time I wash / clean a coated car it amazes me with how easy it is to clean, to dry, and to shine. Slickness maintains well.

I've compared sections with coating vs sections with wax (same vehicle), as the weeks/months goes by, the coating holds much better. I mean, it has a just waxed look and feel (~3 months observation).

As stated, maintenance is the way to go for healthy years of durability, and coating booster maybe the jump from the just waxed look to the just coated look.

Although I generally maintain with spray wax / sealant, a proper coating booster maybe much better, mainly because coating behavior to elements is 'superior' to many waxes/sealants behavior.

As far as detailer spray, it's great idea, and a good approach for when you need quick detailing coated cars precisely.

The kit with the Shampoo, Booster, Detailer, Wash Mitt and towels sold by AutoGeek is one of the most 'good taste' kits ever prepared.

Thanks for reviewing,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for explaining this Mike, I was having trouble understanding the utility of these products based on their description alone. I might give the coating booster a shot once I can still feel my fingers after being outside for more than 3 minutes at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

Some questions if you wouldn't mind,

I remember reading a post by you where you used the actual surface coating as a booster after a wash off your wife's Mercedes. That got me thinking: if the coating could be used as a booster with no perceived ill effects on the looks of a vehicle, could it also be used to recoat a spot buff without having to buff out the whole panel? Meaning, can it blend into a previously applied and cured coating without looking bad? Seems like this would be a major advantage over other coatings and a solid selling point.

I know there had been a bit of balking at the price of the detail spray, but as a rebuttal, one of the AG staff mentioned it was hyper concentrated and a little goes a long way.

I don't care about the pricing, folks can spend their money as they wish, but I've not seen recommendations on just how much or little to use to remove light dusting, or quick treatment of bird droppings, etc.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post

Thanks for explaining this Mike, I was having trouble understanding the utility of these products based on their description alone.

I might give the coating booster a shot once I can still feel my fingers after being outside for more than 3 minutes at a time.

The owner of the 2014 Corvette Stingray has already been using the detailer and the booster as it rained on his Corvette the day he drove it home.

How to detail a 2014 Corvette Stingray

Said the two products worked just as I explained.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post

Hi Mike,

Some questions if you wouldn't mind,

I remember reading a post by you where you used the actual surface coating as a booster after a wash off your wife's Mercedes. That got me thinking: if the coating could be used as a booster with no perceived ill effects on the looks of a vehicle, could it also be used to re-coat a spot buff without having to buff out the whole panel?

Meaning, can it blend into a previously applied and cured coating without looking bad?

Seems like this would be a major advantage over other coatings and a solid selling point.
    My guess is "yes". I'm not a chemist so I don't know for sure.

To bring this idea or topic down to "simple" let me just say that after using the Surface Coating as a booster multiple times all I ever saw with her Mercedes-Benz is beautiful, glassy looking paint that is as slick as snot.

No downside.

Keep in mind, I was only using the Surface Coating as a booster because the booster was not in existence yet. It was me using the Surface Coating and knowing what it cost that caused me to bring up to management the idea of bringing out a detailer and a booster as products to use to maintain all the hard work already created while being chemically compatible and beneficial and at a lower price point than the Surface Coating.

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post

I know there had been a bit of balking at the price of the detail spray, but as a rebuttal, one of the AG staff mentioned it was hyper concentrated and a little goes a long way.

I don't care about the pricing, folks can spend their money as they wish, but I've not seen recommendations on just how much or little to use to remove light dusting, or quick treatment of bird droppings, etc.

And my two cents is that I love detailers and even this new booster that have sprayers that do a GREAT job of atomizing the liquid as it's this mechanical feature of transferring the solid liquid into a fine mist on the surface that accomplishes the goal of wetting the surface in a cost effective manner.

As far as how much to use?

The word is ample. If a person reads enough of my posts or articles you'll note that I use the word ample a lot.

From The Free Dictionary.com
    am·ple
    adjective

1. Of large or great size, amount, extent, or capacity: an ample living room.

a. Large in degree, kind, or quantity: an ample reward.
    b. More than enough: ample evidence.

3. Fully sufficient to meet a need or purpose: had ample food for the party.

When I use the word it aligns most closely with the 3rd definition above, that is you want to use enough product to meet the need.

Underusing a product means a lack of lubrication no matter what you're trying to do plus you'll make reaching your goal more difficult.

Overusing a product means you might hinder the products ability to work efficiently and/or you could hyper-lubricate the surface. You could also simply waste product and make working with the product or removing the product more difficult than it has to be.

Using the ample amount of product is finding a balance which enables you to maximize the benefits of the product while reaching your goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, Thank you so much for the in depth response.

I may actually have to try this out in the spot correctable coating extreme. My order of Dr. Colorchip just came in and I've got some road rash chips to fill in. I'll have to remove the coating on all of them to put the touch up in and then re-coat after it cures. I'm thinking superfine sandpaper on a pencil eraser for the clean up, filling and leveling with the Dr. Colorchip, and then coating the corrected spots.

If the coating looks off on a couple of spots, I'll buff out the panel and recoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, what is the difference between the surface coating and the paint coating? Is there a benefit to one over another? I hope I'm asking this right.

Thanks,
    Larry

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post

Mike, what is the difference between the surface coating and the paint coating?

Is there a benefit to one over another?

I hope I'm asking this right.

Thanks,
    Larry

I asked the same question when it was being developed.

The surface coating can be used on multiple surfaces. The paint coating is really only for paint.

The benefit to the surface coating is you can use it on any hard, smooth surface so it's a all-in-one type product.

Before the booster was introduced I was using it as a booster, that is spray on, spread around and wipe off using a microfiber towel. It's kept our MB super clean, super glassy and very easy to wash and dry.

See my recent encounter with some birds here,

Blasting Bird Bombs at the Coin-Op Car Wash!

All this car has seen since we bought it and buffed it out is the Surface Coating and now the Detailer and the Booster.

Good questions... thank you for asking them...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast