autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

change my pad or polish? and test panel questions - new here.

So I have been using PC 7424XP with Menzera products and CSS pads. Feeling I could get better and faster results I am ordering the Flex 3401 and some new pads. I think with the PC and just in general I was not letting the Menzerna products breakdown enough to get the best out of them. I have been reading a lot but I am a bit confused now on what the best pad/polish combos are.

I had been using the Orange pad with the SF1500, then white with SF4000 and finally red with the Powerlock sealant. It did great, but did not get all the defects removed (Black 2002 Chevy Trailblazer). On my wifes Toyota it dulled really quickly so I think I probably did not even need to go that aggressive. For my truck I ended up getting the FG 400 to try.

My main question is about pad and polish combo. I intend to get the Hybrid pad (5' with the interchangable LC backing plates). Obviously I want to cut as little as possible to get the job done preserving as much clear coat as possible (though i live in Alaska and the paint takes a beating!).

So, do I use a more aggressive compound (FG 400) and a lighter pad - like the LC blue, or even white - or do I use an Orange pad and start with the IP1500 first? If I don't get the result I want do I get more aggressive with the pad or the polish? With the test area, if I don't get the result I intended do I start a new test area (if I am looking for a solution to the paint correction shouldn't I evaluate a combo on unworked paint)?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: change my pad or polish? and test panel questions - new here.

If you are not getting the correction you want from Orange Pad with SF1500...it could be technique or product.

I would initially try changing up your technique:

1. More downward pressure with the same number of passes (Orange w SF1500)

2. Slower arm speed with more downward pressure and same number of passes with (Orange w SF1500)

3. Increase downward pressure and number of passes (Orange w SF1500)

Change products:

4. White pad with FG400

5. Orange pad with FG400

LC Blue Pad has no cut on it's own. Better for SF4500 or applying glaze like EZ Glaze

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

- So, you're suggesting that if I feel the need to go to a more aggressive compound from the SF1500 to try it with a less aggressive pad first?

- In the grand scheme of things, is going to a more aggressive pad (white to orange) more of less aggressive of a step than using the same pad and going from SF1500 to FG400?

- is it preferred to use a harsher compound (FG400) and less cutting pad or harsher pad orange in this case with more gentle compound (SF1500) and why?

I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind the choices.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I have found that I have best success when I limit the variables as much as possible. Don't change more than one variable at a time.

Adjust technique 1st with the products you have.

Maybe this is easiest...

Method #1 is what you are currently doing
    - PC 7424 XP
    - Orange Pad
    - SF1500
    - 4 passes
    - Medium downward pressure
    - Medium Arm Speed

Method #2 is what you are currently doing with (1) change, increased # of passes
    - PC 7424 XP
    - Orange Pad
    - SF1500
    - 6 passes
    - Medium downward pressure
    - Medium Arm Speed

Method #3 is what you are currently doing with (1) added change, increased downward pressure
    - PC 7424 XP
    - Orange Pad
    - SF1500
    - 6 passes
    - Heavy downward pressure
    - Medium Arm Speed

Method #4 is what you are currently doing with (1) added change, slower arm speed
    - PC 7424 XP
    - Orange Pad
    - SF1500
    - 6 passes
    - Heavy downward pressure
    - Slow Arm Speed

Once you gain more experience, you can try changing more than one variable at a time.

make sure you are doing a "Fresh" test spot when trying each different method.

Or....you could just jump to:

- PC on speed 5
    - Orange Pad
    - FG400
    - Moderate pressure
    - Slow arm speed

But, that wouldn't be the any fun or the proper process to manage your clear coat

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

"- is it preferred to use a harsher compound (FG400) and less cutting pad or harsher pad orange in this case with more gentle compound (SF1500) and why?"

Either way will give similar results, but is you are already using an orange pad with SF1500 and not getting enough cut, I would go straight to Orange with FG400, unless you are only planning on doing one-step...in that case you could sacrifice some cut, to obtain a better finish by trying White pad with FG400.

I have not had acceptable results with any one-step combination on my car...it's black.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Either way will give similar results, but is you are already using an orange pad with SF1500 and not getting enough cut, I would go straight to Orange with FG400, unless you are only planning on doing one-step...in that case you could sacrifice some cut, to obtain a better finish by trying White pad with FG400.

I have not had acceptable results with any one-step combination on my car...it's black.
    Thanks again - yeah, one step on my black ride seems unlikely. I am getting the Flex 3401 as I am done with the 7424XP. Too slow for me and I am confident enough now to roll with the Flex and not destroy my paint. Wish I would have bought something more aggressive the first time around but I was too timid.

I think I start at a speed of 4 with 6 passes and try the SF1500 with an orange pad. Hopefully with the forced rotation and an ability to apply some downward pressure that'll get the job done.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

"I think I start at a speed of 4 with 6 passes and try the SF1500 with an orange pad. Hopefully with the forced rotation and an ability to apply some downward pressure that'll get the job done."

If you are going to do two steps...try FG400 w/ Orange Pad and 4 passes on a test spot. Doing two fewer passes can save a ton of time.

I really enjoy my FLEX. I had a PC for a long time and got to use the Griot's 6" last weekend....enjoy the results from the FLEX the best. Keep it flush to the surface and it is very controllable.