autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Rupes 5 Inch 2000 & 3000 Grit Sanding Discs

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post

Although the one element I need to ask, how does it feel compared to a palm style sander? More down to user preference I guess,

but how did you find it to the comparable RUPES palm sander?

In our garage we have the 3M Orbital Air Sander, the Rupes Orbital Air Sander and my personal orbital air sander I brought with my from California my Dynabrade.

Here's the skinny...

All thread work great and the ergonomics of holding, using and sanding with a palm sander is much better and easier as well as safer than machine sanding with an electric polisher mostly used for paint polishing.

The big picture however is most people don't' own an air compressor with a large enough reserve tank capacity, let alone the air compressing power to maintain the tank capacity to use an air powered air sander.

Here's ours...

Ingersoll Rand Rotary Screw Compressor

But yeah... I like to sand with them. I don't like the stiff air line that goes with using an air powered DA sander.

Also, if any reps for any companies that sell air powered DA sanders are ever reading this into the future, please make it so the throttle is not a slide switch but use some type of ratchet steps in-between speed settings as these things are just way to easy to bump and adjust when your sanding.

You can see the Throttle next to my thumb on the underside of this 3M Air-Powered DA Sander

Out of the three above air sanders I found the 3M and the Rupes to work faster than my Dynabrade but my Dynabrade is a "finishing" sander, it has a smaller orbit stroke length.

3M Random Orbital 6 Inch Air Sander 20325

Machine sanding a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass with the Rupes Air Sander

This is me using my Dynabrade when I wetsanded the Joker Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Can X Cut foam pads (150 mm) can be used with lower stroke DA Machine than 12 Duetto as I do not have that one.
    From Rupes I have LHR 15 Mark II so I was planing to use X Cut Foam pads with Meguiars MT310 which is 8 mm stroke.
    Also what machine speed is reccomended for these pads.

Thx

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ARTB155 View Post

Can X Cut foam pads (150 mm) can be used with lower stroke DA Machine than 12 Duetto as I do not have that one.
    First, do you mean the

RUPES X-Cut Foam Sanding Discs

I just need to clarify because you wrote

X Cut foam pads

Without the word RUPES in the front and using the word pads instead of discs, I don't like to assume what you mean.

But if you do in fact mean,

RUPES X-Cut Foam Sanding Discs

Then the answer is YES you can use these foam backed machine sanding discs from RUPES with 8mm Orbital Polishers like the Griot's Garage 6" DA, the Meguiar's MT300 DA and the Porter Cable 7424XP DA.

From Rupes I have LHR 15 Mark II so I was planing to use X Cut Foam pads with Meguiars MT310 which is 8 mm stroke.
    Yes you can use the Meguiar's MT300 to machine sand. Because of the long body it will be a little more awkward and cumbersome to sand with but it will work.

Also what machine speed is recommended for these pads.

Thx

You need to maintain pad rotation.

So mark your backing plate so your eyes can see pad rotation and then adjust the speed dial as needed to maintain pad rotation.

Mike Phillips

Just add....

I wrote the below article when shortly after Meguiar's introduced their Unigrit discs back in the fall of 2009. My article came out in May of 2010. It's actually the only article I've ever seen on the topic of damp sanding and it is more than in-depth... it's exhaustive.

All the tips and techniques I shared in this how-to article are just as accurate today as when it was written. All the tips and techniques shared in this article appley to ANY brand of sanding disc that is made to be used with water.

Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Just out of curiosity....

What are you working on?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike

Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, I mean about Rupes X Cut Sanding Discs not pads (typing error) so you were in right direction.
    I am working on a VW Golf 2005. hood as there are lots of scratches causes by the owner when he try to remove some spillage with scotch brite side of dishes sponge together with some dishes abrasive liquid (in my country it is called Arf and it is very abrasive and used for inox dishes washing).
    As there is a lot of clear coat (hood was repainted by previous owner) I had plenty of "space" for sanding.

Thx

Mike Phillips

Mike

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I mean about Rupes X Cut Sanding Discs not pads (typing error) so you were in right direction.
    Check.

I am working on a VW Golf 2005. hood as there are lots of scratches causes by the owner when he try to remove some spillage with scotch brite side of dishes sponge together with some dishes abrasive liquid (in my country it is called Arf and it is very abrasive and used for inox dishes washing).

As there is a lot of clear coat (hood was repainted by previous owner) I had plenty of "space" for sanding.

Thx

Good to hear... more paint is better when it comes to sanding....

Post Thanks / Like

Btw. few days ago I received your book about Rupes Polishing System and it is great - probably first in my country Croatia :-)...

Now looking for your other books to add to my collection.

Mike Phillips

Btw. few days ago I received your book about Rupes Polishing System and it is great - probably first in my country Croatia :-)...

Now looking for your other books to add to my collection.

Thank you!

It takes a lot of thinking work to write a book. It's real easy for everyone to post their opinion on a car detailing topic... try compiling an entire book filled with your opinion and then putting it out on the market for peer review worldwide.

Perhaps consider writing a short testimony and send it to Nick for the Autogeek store. Testimonies help others to decide whether or not to go for it.

Nick@Autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Done...Nick will soon recive my email...so lets back on topic :-)..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast