autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Body Shop Overspray ?

  1. #11
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    37,328

    Re: Body Shop Overspray ?

    Heck just having a car parked NEAR a body shop can result in overspray all over the exterior including the glass, wheels, tires, bed and body panels...


    1949 Chevy 5-Window Pickup Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Videos











    Another cool truck that's been through Autogeek's Show Car Garage where we've taken a diamond in the rough and turned it into a glistening gemstone...





    I could do this all day...


    :D
    Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

    Click on a book to get your own copy.



  2. #12

    Re: Body Shop Overspray ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Ken,

    I've typed this so much in my life I guess it's time to write an article on it...


    "The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop"


    You can quote me on that.


    Why? Simple... because they spray paint at body shops and not just in the enclosed paint booth.

    Even if they only sprayed paint inside the paint booth overspray is still a problem because,

    A: Airborne sticky particles of fresh paint can travel and land everywhere and anywhere.

    B: Not all shops tape-off and cover-up 100% of the portions of a car NOT being painted. For example if painting a fender, some shops won't tape-off and cover all the other parts of the car like the back wheels, or back of car, etc. Overspray paint is non-selective, it drifts in the air and sticks wherever it lands.

    So...

    "The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop"


    See this article, it's also in my how-to book...

    The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants


    Thanks Mike, great information!!! I figured as much, after I got it home I washed it, went with some MG Final Inspection and hit it with the towel. That puppy ddrrraaaggggeeddd big time. Well, I clayed the entire cay yesterday, just soaked it with detailer to lube it up. Smooth as glass to the touch, but when I used the baggie I can still feel material. I guess I should go over the car one more time, or would M205 eliminate the rest? I may have have to apply twice?

    Thanks Mike

  3. #13
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    37,328

    Re: Body Shop Overspray ?

    Quote Originally Posted by KenVette57 View Post

    Thanks Mike, great information!!! I figured as much, after I got it home I washed it, went with some MG Final Inspection and hit it with the towel. That puppy ddrrraaaggggeeddd big time.

    Well, I clayed the entire cay yesterday, just soaked it with detailer to lube it up. Smooth as glass to the touch, but when I used the baggie I can still feel material.

    I guess I should go over the car one more time, or would M205 eliminate the rest? I may have have to apply twice?

    Thanks Mike

    Sometimes the baggie test can be hard to please...

    You can try claying again or do a test post by polishing and then inspect.


    Hard to say what will work 100%. The Nanoskin products, especially machine application tend to really do the best job but in my experience you do then want and need to machine polish.


    A $4.00 Plastic Drop Cloth could have prevented this...



    sorehands likes this.
    Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

    Click on a book to get your own copy.



  4. #14

    Re: Body Shop Overspray ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sometimes the baggie test can be hard to please...

    You can try claying again or do a test post by polishing and then inspect.


    Hard to say what will work 100%. The Nanoskin products, especially machine application tend to really do the best job but in my experience you do then want and need to machine polish.


    A $4.00 Plastic Drop Cloth could have prevented this...



    I think it's time to go to Nanoskin and throw away the clay. Looks much easier...

  5. #15
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    37,328

    Re: Body Shop Overspray ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hi Ken,

    I've typed this so much in my life I guess it's time to write an article on it...


    "The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop"


    Just had a guy send me an e-mail from the state of Washington with this problem.


    I thought I wrote this article? When to search and only found this thread.



    Time to write the article...


    Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

    Click on a book to get your own copy.



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. 11 jcw just out of body shop
    By malibujoey in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2015, 08:01 PM
  2. Getting the run around by body shop
    By Nomadsto in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 02:04 PM
  3. body shop issues
    By builthatch in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 02:43 AM
  4. Body shop approved
    By sqeekykleen in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2009, 12:06 PM
  5. Car goes into body shop, comes out worse
    By lgtspecb in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 05:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» September 2017

2728293031 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30