autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you clean up rotted rubber window trim?

Hello, I have a 97 prelude, and the rubber window moulding on the rear windows looks spotty, kind of like its rotted. Do you have any advice as to how to take care of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you clean up rotted rubber window trim?

I've used Klasse AIO, DG 105/501, or a fine finishing polishing, all by hand with good results. I suppose you could wash them then wipe with an APC first and see where that gets you, and then go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to tell with the flash--is that black rubber? Or is it silver anodize?

If it's black rubber, I agree with RZJ, a chemical cleaner like KAIO or DG501 is going to help that out a lot.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is black rubber. I've tried wet sanding and using back to black, and it helped some but the rot came back. I have some KAIO in my garage. How would you recommend using it? The rubber isn't just discolored, it's raised and rough. ill get some daytime pictures in a few hours.

Post Thanks / Like

If you wet sanded, that original surface is gone, I don't think the prognosis is very good.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know as well. I posted a thread about this last week and the only thing suggested to me was bleach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    I'd like to know as well. I posted a thread about this last week and the only thing suggested to me was bleach.
    Bleach? Unfortunately the damage to plastic/rubber trim is usually permanent (although there are many new products which can help faded plastic trim). I don't think wet sanding or bleaching rubber is an answer to make it look better.

Post Thanks / Like

Well apparently it will kill whatever is growing on there if it is mold is what I was advised.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Well apparently it will kill whatever is growing on there if it is mold is what I was advised.
    That's probably true, won't do much good for the rubber though. I think I'd use TSP before I'd use bleach...although I doubt I'd use that either. Some APC, and then something like KAIO or DG501, microfiber for both, presuming we're talking about shiny rubber trim.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar problem (as do a lot of other owners, apparently) with the rear window trim on my '05 Tacoma. Very blotchy, and it looks more like some fungus/mold growth more than sun damage.

Test a small spot with some disinfectant other than bleach (just the idea of bleach on something you want to blacken: (?). Maybe pine-sol, or borax. This would just be to kill any living organism that would have caused it, before going and treating further.

Then, I think we only have two types of options, since disinfecting alone will not remove the gunge, only de-activate (kill) any living stuff that is causing the staining:

1. Hope you have killed any living gunge in there, then dye it with some product like Forever Black, which may not be the right one, since it can streak on smooth surfaces where it cannot get a hold into the material; or,

2. Do some sort of scrubbing restorative treatment with the right product, where you actually rub/buff off old, stained or oxidized material to get back to an original type finish. I was looking at a not-AG product that makes great claims in this area, called Acrylic Werks. I have no experience with this stuff, I only saw it used on youtube vids on some of the black trim areas that I need to address: tiger-striped black trim on a Honda CRV, and faded trim on an old BMW on the window columns. It looks like there is a lot of elbow grease with a terry towel involved, but this sort of aggressive approach would intuitively make more sense to me than a wipe on/wipe off approach. I know how deep inside the trim this gunge appears to sit, so wipe on/wipe off surface treatment is not an approach I hold much faith in.

On the other hand, maybe the Acrylic Werks is total snake oil. It's a $30 gamble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast