autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Melted CCS Pads? Thoughts?

Hello fellow AG'ers. This weekend I finally got around to doing a full detail on my 2011 Dodge Charger R/T. Over the last 12 months it's gotten more than a few swirls. Here's why.

1.. It's black. Dear Lord I'll never buy another black car. Moving on.....
    2. It sits outside 24x7. I have a nice driveway to work in. But no garage.
    3. I commute in the DC Metro area, so I'm frequently driving through construction zones filled with dust and rocks, etc.
    4. As a n00b in the detailing world last year I was over-committed to keep the car clean on a daily basis. I went overboard with trying to keep it clean with QD and microfiber wipe downs. I'm sure I put some of the swirls in there myself.
    5. Did I mention it's black.

Anyway, on to the pads.

After a 2 bucket wash, clay, and tape, I began the detail from the top down.

I used a product I've never tried before Megs D151. It's advertised as an AIO with an ability to get out swirls and polish down nicely and protect all at the same time.

I used a CCS Orange pad and D151 on the roof and the trunk. Then I switched off to a new (as in brand new, never used) CCS orange pad and did the drivers side of the car.

I used a speed of 6 on my Griots Garage DA polisher during this whole process.

When I pulled off the second pad the center of the pad had melted away and bits of the melted Velcro were on the backing plate! See pics for the melted pads.

I thought maybe I just kept the pad on too long and tried a second new pad. After one panel - same thing. Melted pad. All in all I melted the center of three CCS orange pads.

Why did this happen? Was a speed of 6 just too much for the pads? The GG DA is a year old, but it's only been used over the course of three weekends since I bought it. Could a combo of the orange pads, D151, and GG DA at speed 6 cause some sort of heat build up?

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.

And to finish up the swirl removal story, D151 and the orange pads only got out about 75-80% of the swirls. Good for a daily driver, but I see a few swirls remaining on the hood and trunk I'll go back and hit with a dedicated swirl remover such as Wolfgangs TSW or Megs 105/205.

And despite the claim of protection from D151 by itself, I couldn't help breaking out old reliable - Collinite 845 for the final topping. Sorry, no pics of the car, but check out the pads!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Melted CCS Pads? Thoughts?-meltedpads1-jpg   Melted CCS Pads? Thoughts?-meltedpads2-jpg  
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melted CCS Pads? Thoughts?

It clearly shows the bad quality of LC CCS pads...
    I wonder LC is still doing sales, despite of so much customer complaints.

Atleast i will never buy LC pads ever again in my life, after what i have experienced: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post693830
    Last edited by imranhakro; 06-18-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. I guess I missed that thread. Interesting that of the 2 pads that didn't melt, one of them was old. The new pad that didn't melt was only used it for about 5 minutes. The other pad was old, maybe 1+ years old and had been used previously to detail my truck and my wife's car.

This old CCS pad was the one I used for the longest time- doing the entire roof and trunk with it before switching to the second pad, which eventually melted. Maybe the manufacturing process changed in the time between I ordered the first pad and the other ones. Or it could be the heat just had not built up on the backing plate yet and not had a chance to melt the first pad.

Quote Originally Posted by imranhakro View Post
    It clearly shows the bad quality of LC CCS pads...
    I wonder LC is still doing sales, despite of so much customer complaints.

Atleast i will never buy LC pads ever again in my life, after what i have experienced: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post693830

Post Thanks / Like

Will get a picture posted later, but I had a similar problem. Only mine was with a Lake County Backing plate and Mequiars MF pads. Melted the pad and backing plate together in the center...removal of the pad ended up tearing away the center velcro of the backing plate. I was only using speed 5 though. Griots 6"

I had to switch over to 4" pads at that point and was only half done, got lucky though, there isn't that much paint on an old crx .
    M
    2012 Acura TL Graphite Luster 6MT AWD
    2013 Mazda Mazda3 Velocity Red 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I am sorry to here this.

If you used the same pad for half the car it is very possible that you had product soaking into the pad creating undue heat. This will easily create the problem and cause the glue to let go. The only times I have had pads separate like this is when I used too much pressure to create overheating and had product soak through. On most cars I would plan on using no less than 4 pads.

Based on your pictures it really appears as though you had generated to much heat causing this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your pictures it really appears as though you had generated to much heat causing this problem.
    I didn't upload my pics yet dude. may be you are mixing 2 threads.

Post Thanks / Like

I am basing my info on the pics in the original post. Nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like

this is incredible!!! does this happen often to these pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magna_power View Post
    this is incredible!!! does this happen often to these pads?

No. It is normally due to to much heat, product soaking into the pad, and improper cleaning / use.

Post Thanks / Like

It does seem like a bit of a thread mix up. But maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Thinking about how I loaded up my CCS pads with D151, I think I did it right. I loaded them the same way I did with WTSR and Megs 105/205 in the past. I primed the pads with D151 and put a small circle of product on before doing a section. Same method taught by Mike. Same method I've used in the past without problem. And I did use 4 pads for the whole car (5th pad was only used briefly).

Anyway - interesting to hear others have seen similar issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast