autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to remove adhesive without removing tint...help

So I had a bit of a bind a few weeks ago and had to put up an adhesive credit card size E-pass to get through some tolls on the day of a road trip, found out my suction cup one wasn't working and no one sold one the suction type that night, so I had to get a sticky kind for the trip. So now I have an issue where I have a 2 inch long adhesive on the inside of my windshield but I also have tint and am afraid to use googone...

Anyone know of an adhesive remover that will get rid of this adhesive but wont damage my tint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to remove adhesive without removing tint...help

I use a product called solvent x. Its for removing sticky stuff. I would think (which can be dangerous I know, ask my wife lol) that as long as you didn't puncture the tint when you removed the pass, that the solvent wouldn't be able to get under the tint to remove the tint binder. I have tinted windows on my work truck that need to have the tint removed (illegal in ca to have front tint) but I would be happy to try it and see what happens on my windows and I can let you know. I would trend to believe that if you controlled where the solvent run off went by placing a rag under the area your working it should be fine. I'll try it tomorrow if you can wait. I also have that goo gone and I can try that as well. Pm to remind me your screen name plz.plz.

Post Thanks / Like

Most window tint is made from mylar, a plastic film just a mil or two thick, and is easily scratched and torn.

Cleaning instructions for most window tint say to never use anything with ammonia, and recommend either a dedicated ammonia-free window cleaner sprayed on a soft MF towel or Plexus (Plexus is the most effective plsatic polish available for cleaning, protecting,and polishing all kinds of plastic. plexus,plexus plastic) or a similar product (Detailer's Pro Series Plex-All™ Cleaner & Polish for All Clear Plastics 3 Pack) for cleaning/sealing purposes. No harsh chemicals that would also be damaging to other plastics.

May I suggest: I use either Stoner's IG or Sprayway...Spray some on a soft, clean MF towel and gently hold the towel against the adhesive/glue area, softening the adhesive. Use another soft, clean MF towel to gently wipe away some of the softened adhesive. Repeat until adhesive is removed. Gently is the definitive word!!

This may be time consuming but may help you get rid of the adhesive without any damage to the tint.

Afterwards, apply your choice of the 'Plexus types' to the tinted areas to further seal and protect the tint, if you so desire.

This how I do it, you may find it useful also.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Use a cleaner wax
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of window cleaners will soften those adhesives too, at least to the point where you may be able to work it off with your finger.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Most window tint is made from mylar, a plastic film just a mil or two thick, and is easily scratched and torn.

Cleaning instructions for most window tint say to never use anything with ammonia, and recommend either a dedicated ammonia-free window cleaner sprayed on a soft MF towel or Plexus (Plexus is the most effective plsatic polish available for cleaning, protecting,and polishing all kinds of plastic. plexus,plexus plastic) or a similar product (Detailer's Pro Series Plex-All™ Cleaner & Polish for All Clear Plastics 3 Pack) for cleaning/sealing purposes. No harsh chemicals that would also be damaging to other plastics.

May I suggest: I use either Stoner's IG or Sprayway...Spray some on a soft, clean MF towel and gently hold the towel against the adhesive/glue area, softening the adhesive. Use another soft, clean MF towel to gently wipe away some of the softened adhesive. Repeat until adhesive is removed. Gently is the definitive word!!

This may be time consuming but may help you get rid of the adhesive without any damage to the tint.

Afterwards, apply your choice of the 'Plexus types' to the tinted areas to further seal and protect the tint, if you so desire.

This how I do it, you may find it useful also.

Bob
    I will try this. Appreciate the help. Think I'll wait on Mobile Detail's report on how the goo gone chemicals do, I imagine not well but I'd like to make sure before I go out and buy some other products. If the goo gone type products don't work well then I'll try the above bolded. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the Invisible Glass with a microfiber towel and it finally came off with a little persistence. Thanks again!