autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is better for cold Canadian winters?

Hey guys,

Where I live the temperature could go as low as -22f and sometimes even colder!
    I was just wondering would be better to protect my car with a good wax or a good sealant ? I'm leaning towards the sealant... and what if you had to choose either one ?

I'm looking forward to some constructive feedback!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is better for cold Canadian winters?

For $14.99 you can get Collinite 845. GREAT wax that last very long. Sealants like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Menzerna Powerlock are other great ones that last a long time also(4-6 months).

For winter protection I use to lay down two coats of a sealant, either DGPS or Blackfire Wet Diamond. This year I am using 845 over DGPS.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure were in Canada you live, but in Michigan we get everything from salt, brine solution, sand and whatever the county decides to put on the roads. My suggestion is to put a couple of coats of any Collinite product on 845 and 476 are two of my favorites. Either will give you 6-8 months of protection till Spring. The sealants will not help. Collinite is called a winter wax to us.
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NICOBKN View Post
    Hey guys,

Where I live the temperature could go as low as -22f and sometimes even colder!
    I was just wondering would be better to protect my car with a good wax or a good sealant ? I'm leaning towards the sealant... and what if you had to choose either one ?
    I live in Sask. 3 coats of Wolfgang or Blackfire sealant topped with 2 coats of Collinite 845 for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Since your Canadian: A warm Canadian woman!

Now for your vehicle: Collinite 845

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Funny that this came out. I was actually about to post the very same question as I live in Quebec. I just did a search and saw that this post just came in this week

I bought in spring time the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant having in mind to use it this coming winter. Was wondering how durable it was.... it should really last 5-6 months in winter ? If it's the case that would be great.

I have collected a few waxes like AutoglymHD, Fuzion, Souveran (Paste and liquid), samples of Zymol Concours, Destiny, Atlantique and currently have Swissvax Concorso on the car. Really wasn't sure if one of them would be good for 5-6 months, I don't think so. My car is a daily driver and always parked outside but at work I manage to park my car always in the shade next to a tall building. It doesn't get really washed neither unless the temperature would go above freezing. So I'm really shoothing for durability. I'm trying to get more info about the Swissvax Shield but will probably for this coming winter opt for the DGPS. Thanks for any feedback regarding durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Im from Quebec too, Montreal to be precise!

Now that everyone voted for collinite 845 I wanted to know the answer for a simple question.. Why is it that this $15 wax will perform better than any other wax out there?

Thansk again guys

Post Thanks / Like

Now that everyone voted for collinite 845 I wanted to know the answer for a simple question.. Why is it that this $15 wax will perform better than any other wax out there?

Thansk again guys

In my 'layman's terms':

It's been tried and tested over many, many years. It's labeled as a wax; but, like many other waxes, it contains chemicals/ingredients that are associated with, and referred to as, 'hybrid waxes'. Collinite seems to have proven to perform, or be more durable, than some others. Plus, as you mentioned, the price is very attractive!

(If you want: See Mr. Phillips comparison article on: Difference between waxes, sealants, hybrids, coatings.)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thansk again guys
    The simple answer is because it just does. Collinite 845 has been around for a long long time and just because it's not expensive doesn't mean it's an inferior product.

To me quite honest, if I had just one wax to choose it would be Collinite 845....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    The simple answer is because it just does. Collinite 845 has been around for a long long time and just because it's not expensive doesn't mean it's an inferior product.

To me quite honest, if I had just one wax to choose it would be Collinite 845....

I realize Pittsburgh winters aren't nearly as severe as the Great White North, but 845 lasted from December through March on my winter driver that sat outside 24/7. I play with a bunch of different waxes on my garage queen Camino, but for a daily driver nothing tops Collinite IMO.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast