autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RV question

Super Member Desert Detail & More's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

RV question

I have a customer of mine who wants me to clean his 33ft RV. It is a fiberglass body, two tone with graphics. It has oxidation, with the clear flaking off, and some spider cracking. He isnt looking for some top of the line buff job, just something to keep his investment lasting a long time. I was looking at the meguairs RV care kit, do you think that is good, or go better. I looking at buying the PC 7424XP this friday. Now we are trading some work so I want to get the job done with killing myself.
    Desert Detail

89 Toyota Cressida with a 2JZ....... Mmmmmmm boost.......

Post Thanks / Like
    You need that pc, before you try and tackle that project, trust me, lol, the Meg's stuff is decent and will get that rv back in shape, they sell a one step compound for fiberglass/gelcoat that rocks on oxidation
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RV question

So with the clear flaking off should I hit it with the DA or buff by hand.
    Desert Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikes02ls1 View Post
    So with the clear flaking off should I hit it with the DA or buff by hand.
    Clearcoat!?!??! If you polish a fiberglass trailer (which I am assuming you mean) it won't last long...... you need a sealant to fill the holes of the fiberglass..... otherwise the wax or polish will only last for MAYBE a month. It is almost impossible IMO to restore fiberglass to its original sheen...... but then again maybe I am behind in that department?!?!!? I offer RV dealerships a deal that I will detail there Class A's or C's for X amount of dollars...... (most are painted surfaces by the way in that class) and if they toss 2 or more I will knock out a trailer or 5th wheel for free...... which many are fiberglass in that class - only because I will go to town on those trailers with a soap/wax and a brush. I never use the brushes on painted surfaces..... only the fiberglass surfaces.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    Clearcoat!?!??! If you polish a fiberglass trailer (which I am assuming you mean) it won't last long...... you need a sealant to fill the holes of the fiberglass..... otherwise the wax or polish will only last for MAYBE a month. It is almost impossible IMO to restore fiberglass to its original sheen...... but then again maybe I am behind in that department?!?!!? I offer RV dealerships a deal that I will detail there Class A's or C's for X amount of dollars...... (most are painted surfaces by the way in that class) and if they toss 2 or more I will knock out a trailer or 5th wheel for free...... which many are fiberglass in that class - only because I will go to town on those trailers with a soap/wax and a brush. I never use the brushes on painted surfaces..... only the fiberglass surfaces.
    Class A RV, it looks like a clear. Example. The clear is coming off my mother fiberglass body kit on her conversion van. Just trying to some what shine her up.
    Desert Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikes02ls1 View Post
    Class A RV, it looks like a clear. The clear is coming off my mother fiberglass body kit on her conversion van. Just trying to some what shine her up.
    Have any pics?!?!?!? If Im not mistaken - and please anyone comment if I am wrong here.... but their is no clearcoat..... only a gelcoat. Thats why fiberglass dulls fairly quick. Toss some pics up if possible.
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I typically do a one step on RVs just due to their size. I usually choose either Megs Oxidation Remover, or a marine sealant that I use on all fiberglass. It really depends on the condition. If he's not completely concerned about the condition of the fiberglass...then I would just lay a sealant on the whole thing using the PC and call it a day.

If he wants to get crazy, he could do both. The whole clearcoat thing...I don't understand. I thought all RVs had a soft gel coat. I've never seen clear coat peeling off of an RV...I don't know whatsup with that. But then again, I've never digged to deep for RV information. I just consider myself to know the basics. I hate doing them! lol

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing that is confusing me - - - - - -you said it is a class A..... but you also said it is a conversion van?!?!?! Confused here?!?!?! Toss some pics up bro!
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    The other thing that is confusing me - - - - - -you said it is a class A..... but you also said it is a conversion van?!?!?! Confused here?!?!?! Toss some pics up bro!
    Just ship it to B&B

Post Thanks / Like

Desert Detail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast