autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Duo 3.0 OR Meguirar's 105/205 Twins

Which combination is preferred for a beginner detailer. I've been detailing cars by hand for most of my life (only 25), but I wanted to step up to the next level and purchase a DA polisher. I've put together my own shopping cart of the items I'd like, but I'm debating on the type of polishes to get.

I'm leaning toward the Wolfgang 3.0 Duo of total swirl remover, and finishing glaze, but then again I've heard really good things about the Meguirar's 105/205 combo. The only thing with the Meguiar's is that it seems really aggressive, and I only have little swirls and scratches that I'm trying to remove.

Do you think I should just buy the 8oz sizes of each to see which I like better, or would one be Superior to the other, or are the basically the same. Any input on would be appreciated.

My shopping cart so far.....wanting to stay under $300 for everything.

-Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher
    -3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate
    -5" Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate
    -Wolfgang Polishing Pad Rejuvenator
    -Lake Country 4 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack
    * Pad 1 : Orange
    * Pad 2 : Orange
    * Pad 3 : White
    * Pad 4 : White
    * Pad 5 : Gray
    * Pad 6 : Gray
    -Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack
    * Pad 1 : Orange
    * Pad 2 : White
    * Pad 3 : White
    * Pad 4 : Gray
    * Pad 5 : Gray
    * Pad 6 : Red
    -Wolfgang Duo 3.0 - Kit
    Last edited by DavidsV8Mustang; 11-21-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Added Shoping List

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Duo 3.0 OR Meguirar's 105/205 Twins

DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator Buy One, Get One Free!<<same stuff.
    Also, I would get 2 orange 5.5" pad. You will need multiple pads for the correction work. I haven't used either polish duo but the WG should be very user friendly and provide great results, atleast that's what the reviews say.
    Famous last words of a redneck- "Hold my beer, watch this "

Post Thanks / Like

The Wolfgang kit includes another 5.5" orange pad, that's why I decided to get a red in the pick six pads. I've read both polishes seem to be user friendly, thats why I'm having a tuff time deciding which to get. Wolfgang has the deminshing polishes that breaks down while you polish, and the the Megs. polishing technique is based on the pad/pressure used. It's a tuff call....

Post Thanks / Like

Stick w/ the red, get rid of 1 gray, just my opinion.
    Famous last words of a redneck- "Hold my beer, watch this "

Post Thanks / Like

^what he said^ and I would go
    with 105/205. It's nice because you can use 205 for light imperfections. At the same time, if you have a car come
    along with heavy swirls or oxidation, you can turn to 105. There definitely is a learning curve with 105, but it's not impossible to use.

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x: Avalanche White
    2006 Nissan 350Z Touring 6MT: Redline Red

Post Thanks / Like

I would personally go with the 105/205. But why not get both polishes and decide what one you like better? Both "twins" work really well but the 105 is more aggressive than the WGTSR and you may find an instance where you will need it! So the extra $16 for 105/205 8oz bottles would be worth it on top of the WG!

Post Thanks / Like

I started with WG Twins and 6.5" CCS pads and they worked well for me for swirled paint. I found that TSR didn't have the cut needed to remove water spot etching on an Audi A4 that M105 and Megs UC could.

The 5.5" pads will make correction much faster with the PCXP and I prefer now flat pads. I also use 4" pads for thin/tight sections, with 2 orange, 2 white and 2 red pads. Get some pad lubricant like the XMI.

For light to moderate swirls and correction, the WG duo leaves a very nice finish using TSR with the orange and FG with white. I never felt a need for gray pads with the WG duo. I picked up M105 and Megs UC for compounding when I found that TSR and Opt Compound II didn't have enough cut for a couple of projects. Both have more cut than TSR, although TSR will cut with time and pressure.

I have not used M205, prefering to try and like Optimum polishes. If you have more than light-moderate swirls, M105/205 combo might offer the greater utility just because M105 will cut faster and heavier than TSR.

I suggest at least another orange pad instead of the gray pads. I find that I use 3+ orange pads for correction per vehicle and only 2 whites for polishing.

I also suggest that you apply your waxes and sealants with the PCXP. I use the red pads and they work very well for me. Use separate pads for wax and sealant as some sealants can be affected by residual wax in the pad.

You will find things that work for you with time and experience, so experiment and see what works best for you! Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    I started with WG Twins and 6.5" CCS pads and they worked well for me for swirled paint. I found that TSR didn't have the cut needed to remove water spot etching on an Audi A4 that M105 and Megs UC could.
    I found that I needed M105 to remove RIDS on Audi A6
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes to Meguiar's M105/M205 and 5.5" low profile hydro tech pads. I'm certain that Mike will recommend the Wolfgang Twins due to the ease of use, especially being your first run with a polisher. I personally haven't used the WG twins so I can't comment on their cutting ability. Flat pads are nice but I still prefer HT pads. I recommend buying a couple of each style - CCS, Flat, Hydro Tech, and then make the decision of what's the better pad for you. Each person is different and each situation is different. What's cool about M105/M205 and HT pads:

M105 + Cyan HT pad
    M105 + Tangerine pad
    M205 + Cyan HT pad
    M205 + Tangerine pad

...this gives you 4 levels of cutting ability to tackle just about everything with only 4 products.

I know this is your forum Mike, please forgive me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    My vote goes to Meguiar's M105/M205 and 5.5" low profile hydro tech pads. I'm certain that Mike will recommend the Wolfgang Twins due to the ease of use, especially being your first run with a polisher. I personally haven't used the WG twins so I can't comment on their cutting ability. Flat pads are nice but I still prefer HT pads. I recommend buying a couple of each style - CCS, Flat, Hydro Tech, and then make the decision of what's the better pad for you. Each person is different and each situation is different. What's cool about M105/M205 and HT pads:

M105 + Cyan HT pad
    M105 + Tangerine pad
    M205 + Cyan HT pad
    M205 + Tangerine pad

...this gives you 4 levels of cutting ability to tackle just about everything with only 4 products.

I know this is your forum Mike, please forgive me!
    Thanks for all your helps so far everybody. Since I began my research for a buffer/polisher and products earlier this month I've learned that everyone is defiantly different in what combination of products work best with for them. Pad and polish combination has definitely been the area were I've spent most of my time researching. I'm leaning more toward the Wolfgang just for the obvious reason that it looks like an easy combo to learn with. Not to aggressive, yet aggressive enough to remove the light swirls that my vehicles have. Though the Meguiar's twins seem to work extremely well, I'm think I may purchase them later if the Wolfgang Duo cant provide the type of results I'm looking for. But I'm tempted to go ahead and purchase them just because they get so much respect among its users.
    Last edited by DavidsV8Mustang; 11-21-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: grammer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast