autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Aluminum rims

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum rims

Okay its "Maxima dad" again and we are truly greatful for all the advice thus far. Our order 1st order is just about set when I realized we may have missed one important component...the rims!

I have researched the past forums and beleive we should be adding some Poorboys wheel sealant and perhaps even a power ball or power cone (both?) to our detail kit. I am pretty fussy about "ma wheels" and like clean rims and dressed tires, particularly the monster 18's on my ML55. I try to keep up with the brake dust on a regular basis, but do have some build up in the nook and crannies...I can only imagine what the backside of the rims must look like!

I recently had new rear pads put on the ML55 and they are dusting my rims like powder sugar on funnel cake! Next time its ceramic!

I have tried to post pics of our rims, I believe they are coated aluminum, so again your advice is welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aluminum rims-d90-8-13-10-090-jpg   Aluminum rims-d90-8-13-10-094-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum rims

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Mom View Post
    Okay its "Maxima dad" again and we are truly greatful for all the advice thus far. Our order 1st order is just about set when I realized we may have missed one important component...the rims!

I have researched the past forums and beleive we should be adding some Poorboys wheel sealant and perhaps even a power ball or power cone (both?) to our detail kit. I am pretty fussy about "ma wheels" and like clean rims and dressed tires, particularly the monster 18's on my ML55. I try to keep up with the brake dust on a regular basis, but do have some build up in the nook and crannies...I can only imagine what the backside of the rims must look like!

I recently had new rear pads put on the ML55 and they are dusting my rims like powder sugar on funnel cake! Next time its ceramic!

I have tried to post pics of our rims, I believe they are coated aluminum, so again your advice is welcome!
    Hey Maxima Dad,
    First off, here are some links to help you post your photos so we can see them better.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...on-forums.html
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...o-gallery.html
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...r-message.html

Next you can use a few different items for the wheels. P21S and Sonax are expensive but work well. After they are clean, coat them with some PB Wheel Sealant and soap/water should work from there.

Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant: Protective sealant that improves & maintains the appearance of wheels. wheel protection, poorboys wheel wax
    SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner
    P21S WHEEL CLEANERS gel and regular

The Meg's is well reviewed and cheap, but I have never tried it.

Meguiars Wheel Brightener is a professional grade wheel cleaner for factory coated wheels! Meguiars wheel cleaner and brightener makes coated wheels
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

MD,

I like the DP Wheel cleaner DP Wheel Cleaner and a daytona Wheel Brush Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush, auto detail brush, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, Corvette brush, Mercedes brush, sport wheel brush, after they are clean, top them with a coat or two of DP wheel Glaze DP Wheel Glaze cleans and protects all types of wheels! Durable wheel polymer wax coating protects wheels from brake dust adhesion and corrosion. and wash like the car after that. Here is a great combo pack no Daytona brush but this is a great kit at an awesome price to get those wheels sparkling like new. DP Wheel Special combines some of our best wheel maintenance products.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips, I tried the photo tutorial lets see how I did....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips, I tried the photo tutorial lets see how I did....
    You got it, now resize the photo larger and you are done!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I cropped these down cuz I thought they were too big....

Post Thanks / Like

Just about any kinda APC will work great on either set of those wheels. They are both coated aluminum. The PB wheel sealant I have heard is a good product. It will make your wheels easier to clean in the future
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDb8qOxTgjw]YouTube - Sully's Detailing How To: Clean Wheels and Tires[/video]
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I cropped these down cuz I thought they were too big....
    I think you are right clicking on the thumbnail and copying the link. You have to click on the picture so it shows up on your screen. Then right click on it and copy the link. Then paste the link into the image bar.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

on painted wheels a good cleaner (P21S, Sonax, Griots) can be a good start. A Daytona Brush is another as well as a finger mitt for tight spots. Then add the wheel protectant of your choice to make cleanup easier and wheels sparkle.

Scott