autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearcoat failure, is it ok to polish?

Hey everyone,
    I have been detailing as a hobby for about a year mainly doing my relatives cars for now. My next project is to detail my step-daughters Mitsubishi Galant. I will wash, remove swirls/polish and wax the car. It is black and shows signs of clearcoat failure with cloudy white patches on the paint but no flakes. It looks like this car but but black paint instead of red.

My question is, is it ok to run a DA over the failed clearcoat during the polish and waxing phase? I know I cannot fix/repair the clearcoat but I don't want to make it worse either. The failure is patchy but mainly on the hood, top and trunk lid. I just want to make sure I can polish over the failed clearcoat without causing more damage.

Thanks....Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clearcoat failure, is it ok to polish?

If it isn't flaking yet you should be fine, just watch it carefully for any signs of flaking and avoid areas that begin to flake. A flaky faded clearcoat looks better than a big burn mark on the hood, although it's black so it really wouldn't make a drastic difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really worth the time to try to remove swirls when large portions of the clearcoat is failing? Might it not be a time-saver, and safer, to simply wax the car with a cleaner wax like ColorX (perhaps using a polishing pad on your DA polisher) and then top with your preferred protectant? The car will still look better than it does now. Also remember: the better you make the good paint look, the worse the rest of the paint will look.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Akimel,

if your step daughter's car is as bad as the neon, it might be better to take Akimel's advice. But if this is more of a learning experience with 'what will happen' just do whatever you please!

Mike Phillips

Usually abrading the portion that is failing or turning white will just make it look worse. Maybe just clay and wax the portions that are still smooth and "clear" and that might help the paint to last a little longer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I definately will avoid using the DA over the failed clearcoat.

I like the idea of using a cleaner wax. I have some Meguiars Paint Reconditioning Cream (D151) so I might save some time and use it on the clean parts of the paint. Should remove some swirls and give it a good shine (and protection) at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

The FIRST thing you should do is try a test spot by hand with a polish or compound JUST to make sure it's clearcoat failure and NOT oxidation. They do look VERY similar. If you're not removing the white leaving a clean finish, then you'll want to avoid polishing with your machine in those areas. Good luck with your detail though. Not sure I'd even tackle a car with failed clear once I'd deduced that it in fact WAS failed clear. Wouldn't be worth the risk.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right Adam, I really don't want to bother with it but I have detailed my other 2 kids cars so she was next in line and I really didn't know her paint was in that bad of shape until I looked at it. I may just have to give it a good wash and hand wax and hope for the best.

BTW - Your logo (avatar) is awesome!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

If the clearcoat has indeed failed then it is pointless.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the only place the clear has failed? The rest of the car from what I can see only looks oxidized. You are not going to save the hood, but you can polish out the rest to a brand new shine, and get the hood repainted to match. Then it will look like you have a brand new painted car..
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver