autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary only??? 3M Ultrafina

I've used it with both. There is nothing wrong with using Ultrafine with a 3401. Even on the softest paints, it still leaves an awesome finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zinc02gt View Post
    Just remember though that a rotary will finish better than a DA if done correctly.
    THIS!
    Using the Menz or the Ultrafina you can really get a dramatic finish with a rotary. Not saying that it CAN'T be achieved with a DA, but practice your rotary technique and you'll get a better finish usually.

Also like Rasky said though - you should already be "99% correct" before using one of these.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

UF works a lot better with a rotary, it just doesn't play well with a da. Also like Rasky and DLB have said with UF you want the finish dam near perfect before using UF or it will fill. If you do a big jump like I have read either on this thread or another someone skipping a step and said it looked good, it without a doubt filled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    UF works a lot better with a rotary, it just doesn't play well with a da. Also like Rasky and DLB have said with UF you want the finish dam near perfect before using UF or it will fill. If you do a big jump like I have read either on this thread or another someone skipping a step and said it looked good, it without a doubt filled.
    And sometimes it doesn't like to play at all LOL and you need to use something like 85RD
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

I have to do some up close inspecting in full sun and some IPA wipe downs to the test spot I'm working, but I'm pretty confident that Ultrafine DID NOT just fill. I don't doubt that you guy's know Ultrafine better than me, I'm just going off what I have experienced (most of which was yesterday). I'll thoroughly check my work and report back to this thread later today.

Post Thanks / Like

After 5 wipe downs with IPA, wiped until clean and dry each time. In no way am I trying to discredit anyone with this post, it's just the results I got relating to the OP's question.

Here you can see the orange peel that I haven't sanded out yet. The smooth side was sanded with P1500 trizact on the pneumatic palm sander, polished via flex with Menz PG on Cyan HT then 3M ultrafine on gray LC.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsJIFrJnkLw]YouTube - Sun shot vid[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Am I wrong in remembering that IPA wipe downs can also cause paint swelling and defecting hiding and that you have to watch for defect return 3 or 4 days after the wipe down? Maybe i am wrong but I think i brought this up before and the issues was only chimed in on my dana?

Either way it is a nice finish but i have obtained swirl free finishes with PB's SSR lines and a PC XP on LC pads... The top notch guys on here use UF as a third step usually to bring an insane amp'd up finish to the car? Its their OCD getting every last bit of gloss and shine out of a car.

Just thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if UF outperforms menz 85RD when both are applied with a flex. Also I would like to see the difference between UF applied with a rotary and the flex. And the Flex and a PC. If the weather is good this weekend I will try to compare them unless someone has already documented this. I suppose I shouldn't worry about it but inquiring minds want to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fats View Post
    Am I wrong in remembering that IPA wipe downs can also cause paint swelling and defecting hiding and that you have to watch for defect return 3 or 4 days after the wipe down? Maybe i am wrong but I think i brought this up before and the issues was only chimed in on by dana?

Just thoughts
    I've never heard that, interesting. Got a link to the thread discussing the topic? Thanks for bringing it up, I'm still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I wonder if UF outperforms menz 85RD when both are applied with a flex. Also I would like to see the difference between UF applied with a rotary and the flex. And the Flex and a PC. If the weather is good this weekend I will try to compare them unless someone has already documented this. I suppose I shouldn't worry about it but inquiring minds want to know.
    I'd like to see your results!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Thanks for posting a link to the video. It answered a lot of questions. They mentioned that some detailers like to run the rotary at 1000 to make it easier to control but you need at least 1400 to 2200 to get the most out of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast