autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

For a Beginner: Meguiar's G110v2 or Flex 3401

Dear Mike and others,

I am trying to decide between these two units.

1) Meguiar's G110v2 with "soft buff 2.0" burgundy (cutting), yellow (polishing) and black (finishing) pads-- $190.

2) Flex 3401 with Yellow, Green, White and Blue CCS pads-- $310.

I am not going into the detailing business, so my work will be limited to my personal cars and maybe a few cars belonging to friends.

The Meguiars G110v2 is $120 cheaper than the Flex, which is a decent amount. I understand that these units have a very good resale value, so I'm sure I can resell either of these units for a good amount in the event I decide to upgrade. Furthermore, would it make sense for me to start out with a lower-end machine such as a G110v2 (as opposed to a Flex) if the next upgrade would be a rotary?

Also, remember that I am a beginner. I am also detailing daily drivers, not show cars, so the results do not need to be perfect.

Therefore, which machine should I get?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For a Beginner: Meguiar's G110v2 or Flex 3401

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    Dear Mike and others,

1) Meguiar's G110v2 with "soft buff 2.0" burgundy (cutting), yellow (polishing) and black (finishing) pads-- $190.

2) Flex 3401 with Yellow, Green, White and Blue CCS pads-- $310.

I am not going into the detailing business, so my work will be limited to my personal cars and maybe a few cars belonging to friends.

The Meguiars G110v2 is $120 cheaper than the Flex, which is a decent amount. I understand that these units have a very good resale value, so I'm sure I can resell either of these units for a good amount in the event I decide to upgrade. Furthermore, would it make sense for me to start out with a lower-end machine such as a G110v2 (as opposed to a Flex) if the next upgrade would be a rotary?

Also, remember that I am a beginner. I am also detailing daily drivers, not show cars, so the results do not need to be perfect.

Therefore, which machine should I get?

Thanks.
    Depends on how many personal cars you own and how many friends you have. You will most likely polish a car once or twice a year with proper washing and drying techniques. If money is not a problem get the Flex. It will correct faster, but not necssarily better than the G110v2.

Post Thanks / Like

^ I agree if money is not an issue then get the flex. If it is then the Megs will do everything you want. I will say though the flex IMO has the capabilities to correct 85%-90% of what a rotary can so if you are just doing your cars there is no critical need to upgrade to a rotary.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice.

Someone on autopia brought up a new idea that I had not considered and I would like your inputs on.

For the price of a Flex, I can purchase both a G110v2 and a Makita 9227C (with a LC 6" backing plate).

Wouldn't it make more sense for me to have both a G110v2 and a rotary? I would assume that once I master the G110v2, I would graduate to a rotary and the G110v2 would still come in handy.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mike Phillips

Doing the combo like you suggest is a good system, having a rotary and a DA polisher will enable you to tackle anything that comes your way.

Maybe we should start a "Tool of the Quarter" club and every quarter, (of the year), you add a different tool to your collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice.

Someone on autopia brought up a new idea that I had not considered and I would like your inputs on.

For the price of a Flex, I can purchase both a G110v2 and a Makita 9227C (with a LC 6" backing plate).

Wouldn't it make more sense for me to have both a G110v2 and a rotary? I would assume that once I master the G110v2, I would graduate to a rotary and the G110v2 would still come in handy.

What are your thoughts on this?
    That's what I have, a DA and a rotary. I was in the same boat when I had to make a choice between the Flex DA or a rotary and a DA. Since you are doing only a few cars...the Flex DA would be a better choice for you. You don't have any experience with a rotary, so a Flex would be a better machine for you. You can alway's step up to a rotary if you need it in the future.

Mike Phillips

Dear Mike and others,

Have you read this yet?

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Ron's right in that compared to a rotary buffer, both the DA style polishers, and the Flex 3401 are a lot easier to learn how to master.

I gave all the tools a "Ease of Use Ranking" in the above article.

Ease of Use Ranking
    Each of the tools below are also graded as to their ease of use using a scale from 1 to 5, with 1 being the easiest and 5 being the most difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Have you read this yet?

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Ron's right in that compared to a rotary buffer, both the DA style polishers, and the Flex 3401 are a lot easier to learn how to master.

I gave all the tools a "Ease of Use Ranking" in the above article.

Ease of Use Ranking
    Each of the tools below are also graded as to their ease of use using a scale from 1 to 5, with 1 being the easiest and 5 being the most difficult.

Yes, I have read that. Now that you bring the article up, this question has come to mind.

If I want to eventually move to a rotary, does it make more sense to train on and master a Flex 3401 or a DA such as the G110v2?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have read that. Now that you bring the article up, this question has come to mind.

If I want to eventually move to a rotary, does it make more sense to train on and master a Flex 3401 or a DA such as the G110v2?
    A rotary is a completly different animal. The Flex DA is closer to a rotary as it has forced rotation. I believe it only spins at 400 rpm which is not even close to a rotary. Most correction on a rotary will be 1200-1800 rpm. Using a DA or Flex DA will give you the feel of using a machine to polish. This will help you when and if you decide to step up to a rotary. I don't own a Flex DA, but most will tell you that it can do correction work pretty well. There are some that don't even use their rotaries anymore.
    Last edited by Rsurfer; 02-14-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rsurfer. I used the new Griots and the Flex 3401. Get the Flex if you have the money.

You don't do this for a business so I don't think you will want to or need to move to a rotary. The Flex is just a wonderfull and beautiful machine. Review-FLEX XC 3401 Dual Action Orbital Polisher
    Full disclosure: I have never used a rotary and I almost never say never but... I will probably never buy a rotary. LOVE the Flex 3401
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 02-14-2010 at 08:24 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care