autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy A little advice?

To make a long story short I was forced off the road into a curb back in December. It caused some major front suspension damage to my 2007 black Nissan Maxima and it has been in the shop since. I will finally be getting it back this week and have been worried about the amount of new scratches, buffer trails, and swirls that will be on it. While there was no noticable body damage directly from the curb, there was some very minor damage to the front right quarter panel while being moved off the flatbed at the dealer. This means there will now be some paint work invoved. Preparing for this in advance I am going to take the plunge and buy a polisher and go over the car properly(minus the newly painted area). That being said which machine and product line would you recomend? The paint is in reasonably good shape, better than 85% of the black cars I see. I use proper wash techniques and have been protecting it with Nattys Blue. It is a daily driver, so i don't expect %100 but would like to fix what I can. Sorry for the length of this post and will get pics when I pick it up.Any advice is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A little advice?

Griot's 6 inch Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher

WG twins Create a flawless finish in 2 simple steps with the Wolfgang Duo.

The WG twins is a awesome combo, And will take care of your black paint..
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

What pads should I get for light correction? This is new to me, and I dont want to damage the paint. Thank you.

Regular Member Blake's Mobile Detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

CCS orange
    2009 Red f250 4door powerstroke fx4

Post Thanks / Like

Still don't have the car back yet but they promised soon, but I just have a few more questions. I noticed that there is a package deal on Autogeek that has the Wolfgang products along with a Porter Cable, and was just wondering if that polisher will work as well with the Wolfgang duo as the Groits that was recomended? Should I also get a couple blue or gray pads to fallow up behind the orange in order to perfect the finish a little more? What is the best and least abrasive way to remove old wax and sealent? Again, thanks for the advice.

Matt T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matttathome View Post
    Still don't have the car back yet but they promised soon, but I just have a few more questions. I noticed that there is a package deal on Autogeek that has the Wolfgang products along with a Porter Cable, and was just wondering if that polisher will work as well with the Wolfgang duo as the Groits that was recomended? Should I also get a couple blue or gray pads to fallow up behind the orange in order to perfect the finish a little more? What is the best and least abrasive way to remove old wax and sealent? Again, thanks for the advice.

Matt T.
    The PC package will work fine. The Griot is a little more powerful, but the Porter Cable is a very dependable machine. Besides the orange pads, you will need white and grey. The orange is for correction, the white is for finishing and the grey is for final polishing and you can use a blue to apply wases and sealants. It is not necssary to clean your paint before polishing as the polish will remove any old wax. It is advisable to clay the paint before polishing to remove any contaminants that may be in your clear coat. After polishing you can use a paint cleaner to clean the paint of any oils or fillers left from the polish. You can also use rubbing alchohol to remove these oils.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the process for using the alchohol? This might be a stupid question, but is it mixed with water or just used on a microfiber?
    Last edited by matttathome; 02-13-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the process for using the alcohol? This might be a stupid question, but is it mixed with water or just used on a microfiber?
    It's used to remove any oil or fillers that is left after polishing. You can use it straight or mix it 50/50 with distilled water. You can soak a mf towel or spray it on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Last question on this subject, I promise. Are there any other recomended steps after the WG finishing glaze that would be needed besides a wax or sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Last question on this subject, I promise. Are there any other recomended steps after the WG finishing glaze that would be needed besides a wax or sealant?
    WGFG is still a polish and should be cleaned with an IPA wipe down to reveal the true finish before sealing or waxing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast