autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What can I use to polish NEW clearcoat?

Hi guys,

I just picked up some bike parts from a local painter. They did a great job on the paint work, but I also saw them polish and then wax the pieces.
    I am pretty sure I need to get the wax off of them so they can cure properly.

What polish can I use to do this? Preferably something very fine cut.
    Can it be any polish that is silicone free or is there more to it than that?
    I have a few 3M products and some Megs as well around the house. I just want make sure they are safe for new paint!

Thanks
    S
    Last edited by shizam; 01-24-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can I use to polish NEW clearcoat?

If the body shop did it, let it be. It will be their ass if it messes up, It'll be yours if you mess around with it.

You should let it cure for at least 30 days before giving it a light polish (if even needed) or wax.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree in principle, but I don't want to wait for months only to find out the finish has issues and have to tear the bike apart again.
    I can save myself a lot of hassle by making sure it cures right the first time!
    S

Any ideas on what polish is ok to use?

Post Thanks / Like

In general you stick to the lightest (least abrasive) polish and pad combo and move more aggressive only as needed.

I too might suggest a little time to make sure the paint has cured prior to heavy polishing. Someone working in body work, like Asphalt Rocket (Dana), could likely assist more during this stage while paint is still so new however.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the first problem here is the paint shop SHOULD NOT Have waxed newly painted body parts...newly sprayed clear coats need to "cure" and "breathe" for at least 6 months before applying a sealant or wax to it's surface. An easy way to remove the wax is go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of Isopropyl Alchohol and mix it 50/50 with water and spray it on the finish and wipe it off. It should remove the wax off of the surface. So long as the paint has been on the bike for about a week or more, then it's safe to polish with body-shop safe compounds and polishes like 105/205.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The paint has been on the bike about 2 weeks. They waxed the parts about 1 week after they painted them.
    I am leaning towards 3M imperial hand glaze 39007. Very light cut and it says it is safe for new, uncured paint.
    I am a bit leery of using IPA on the bike. Will it only strip the wax? Is it ok for uncured clearcoat?

Thanks for all the help guys.
    S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shizam View Post
    The paint has been on the bike about 2 weeks. They waxed the parts about 1 week after they painted them.
    I am leaning towards 3M imperial hand glaze 39007. Very light cut and it says it is safe for new, uncured paint.
    I am a bit leery of using IPA on the bike. Will it only strip the wax? Is it ok for uncured clearcoat?

Thanks for all the help guys.
    S
    Did they heat bake the painted parts? If so, then it's safe to polish and wax. Do you think manufactors wait 6 months before polishing or waxing a new car?

Mike Phillips

M09 Swirl Remover by Meguiar's or M205 Ultra Polish

These are both very light cleaner/polishes that are Body Shop Safe and safe for fresh paint. Apply using a clean, soft foam applicator pad and this should provide enough light cleaning to remove the majority of any wax or sealant applied to the paint and they will leave a nice clear finish.

Post Thanks / Like

An IPA wipedown won't hurt your new paint at all. It will just clean the old wax off. Even if they heat baked the paint on, which I doubt they did, you should still wait a few months before putting a wax, sealant or glaze on your paint. Anything that seals the surface of the new clear will prevent it from curing properly.

I have lots of friends in the body shop industry here and they've all said the same thing to me. You can polish new clear about 2 weeks after it's been sprayed, but you CAN NOT put any type of protection on it that will prevent it from breathing for a few months, even if it's been baked on.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    IO have some Meg's #9 and also some 3M imperial hand glaze. The #m product is also supposed to be paint shop safe and very low abrasive.
    I will try them both to see which has a better finish.
    The paint wasn't baked. Motorcycle plastic parts don't bake well! It was a dupont clearcoat and they put on colour then 4 coats of clear.

I think it needs a few months before I seal it.
    Cheers
    S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast