autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratches on Chrome

Check out this detail I did with some very rough chrome and it cleaned it up remarkably well. I used my rotary and a 3" white wool pad with either M105 or a mix of that and Menz PG. I followed it up with a 3" pad with Collinite Metal wax buffed right in. Man, did that chrome jump. If the chrome is nice, I buff it with the pad and the metal wax to some amazing results.
    Monster Truck: 2006 F250 4 door - Live2Detail

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post

Check out this detail I did with some very rough chrome and it cleaned it up remarkably well.

A lot of the chrome in the pictures looked dirty, but not scratched and should clean up well. At least if the chrome was scratched, the dirt coating was covering it up in the before pictures.

Removing "actual" scratches "in" the chrome plating would mean abrading the chrome to level it and in so doing, not leaving any of your own abrasion marks in the layer of chrome in the process.

This picture, from the above detail looks like there are actual scratches in the coating?

Did these buff out 100%? Is the below the same component just from a different angle?

If so, then there's a lot of people with scratches in chrome that will be able to duplicate your process with success. That would make for a great, step-by-step "how to article".

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove scratches in chrome?

old thread, but any updates on this?

Mike, was there ever a step-by-step "how to article?"

Post Thanks / Like

Ive heard that minor scratches can be removed , but you need a special metal polishing bonnet, and a special metal polishing paste .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Mike, I'm a little hesitant to use 105 and 0000 steel wool, but several well respected detailers said that it works. Have you tried this?
    It won't work. You can use 0000 fine steel wool on chrome...but it's not the best thing for it. I use bronze wool, just due to the fact that it's softer, and less harmful. Will it remove a scratch? No, it won't. But it's great for polishing.

I have used fine steel wool to polish chrome before. As long as you keep a good amount of polish between the wool, and the chrome...you're usually ok. But, if you apply pressure and overwork an area...you will leave a dull spot, and just be adding a ton more scratches. I think a scratch in chrome is better left alone.

Post Thanks / Like

chrome is nickel with chromiun applied to it with electicity to make the nickel hard so it will hold its miroor like shine. using any thing coarse on it will slowly make it dull from very fine scratches.
    Chorome platers use what is called jewelers rouge and buffing wheels to polish the nickel before the chromiun is applied, when the chromiun is applied ti turns the nickel black, then this is polished off leaving your mirror like shine.
    all i will use is fleese rags and chrome polish on my chrome any thing else will sctrach an dull the finish over time.
    Jonathan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12