autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Wash Soaps

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Wash Soaps

I'm going to place an order on AG right now for the Durogloss and Optimum. I'll let you know what I think as I try them using the two bucket method. I'm also going to get a Meguirs Soft Touch drying towel also. I have been using the beige waffle weave microf towels and love them but they do get stiff fairly quickly which I worry might lead to micro marring. We'll see how the Meguirs works.

Also, what does everything think about storing products in a cabinet in the garage? It's coldddd down here in the south right now but I just dont have room for everything inside.

I dont know why Sal doesnt go with AG. You would think it would mean so much more exposure and money for him. His products are excellent but he has to rely on word of mouth. Maybe that's what he wants? I was hoping he would throw in a free T-shirt with an order one of these days as much money as I've spent over the last two years. So far no t-shirt......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Also, what does everything think about storing products in a cabinet in the garage? It's coldddd down here in the south right now but I just dont have room for everything inside.
    Dane, here's a link to an autopia forum where someone has asked your same question about winter storage of products:

Winter Storage of detailing products - Autopia.org

I myself live in Southern NC, and yes, it's been cold! I have an attached garage, and I put a thermometer near my stuff stored there, and the temp has not gotten below 40 F, so I am not worried. I would be if the temp got too close to 32 F, which is freezing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    I will second (or third or fourth) the recommendation on DP Auto Bath Shampoo.

I have learnt on this forum that in a shampoo, you are looking for 3 qualities: lubricity, detergency and possibly gloss. I used to use the Meguiars Gold Class and it has these qualities, although I found out later on that DP was glossier and had even more lubricity at a lower concentration. I am a DP fan now.
    That said, all products recommended here are extremely high quality.
    The products mentioned on this thread -- OCW, Meg's GC, DG -- they are all excellent. However, the lubricity, suds, and lovely mild banana scent make DP ABS my current favorite. It is just a beautiful product. Just got a gallon on BOGO.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, if you spend a little more money then you would on say Turtle Wax you probably have a functional shampoo. After that, smell is my biggest deciding factor, Optimum and DP ABS is my current favorites. These are favorite enough to bench the Meguiar's even as much as I love it.
    Of all the people that I have net, you are truly one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't waste your money on Dodo Juice Supernatural Shampoo. Over priced, doesn't sud well, and takes more than 1 pump per gallon as mentioned on the label. I ended up using 6 pumps or squirts for 1 gallon to get some suds action and cleaning ability. My fave has always been Meg's but after reading this thread I may order DP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Just don't waste your money on Dodo Juice Supernatural Shampoo. Over priced, doesn't sud well, and takes more than 1 pump per gallon as mentioned on the label. I ended up using 6 pumps or squirts for 1 gallon to get some suds action and cleaning ability. My fave has always been Meg's but after reading this thread I may order DP.
    Check out this video from Mike Philips' Show Car Garage days:

How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)#

According to Mike, suds are not an integral part of the washing process. Some soaps are intentionally not sudsy. If they provide lubricity and cleaning power but not suds they're still a good soap. I've never used Supernatural Shampoo but no suds doesn't necessarilly make it a bad soap.
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
    Check out this video from Mike Philips' Show Car Garage days:

How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)#

According to Mike, suds are not an integral part of the washing process. Some soaps are intentionally not sudsy. If they provide lubricity and cleaning power but not suds they're still a good soap. I've never used Supernatural Shampoo but no suds doesn't necessarilly make it a bad soap.
    this is very true, however some people shop by the ability of a soap to suds up (not the case for me). i just provided my experience. when i washed my car with the Supernatural, it didn't have the same slick feel that i am used to with Meg's Gold Class. i am impressed so far by the quality of their waxes. just not a fan of the soap or wheel cleaner.
    Last edited by rwright; 01-06-2010 at 04:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Car Wash Soaps

Do the DP and Optimum soaps work pretty well, even in hard water? Just wondering...

And I did watch that video last night, and it is full of great info. And yes, Mike P. did talk about the lubricity of the soap being the most important factor. He intentionally doesn't blast the wash bucket with water and soap because then you have too many suds and not enough water. He gets water ready in his wash bucket first, then he puts the soap in and swishes it around by gentle mixing with his mitt in his hand inside the water + soap bucket to mix the soap into the water. Good method! I will try this next time I do a regular wash (now doing ONR because it's cold out!).

I wonder if the genuine sheepskin mitt is Mike's go-to mitt for washing nowadays, or if he uses a different mitt? The video was shot in 2006.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    Do the DP and Optimum soaps work pretty well, even in hard water? Just wondering....
    We have some of the hardest water that I have seen here in Jacksonville and I can whole hardedly say DP is awesome. I am still waiting for the temp to raise a little more to try out the Optimum soap. Dublifecrisis hooked a brother up with the Optimum sampler they sell for Christmas and looking forward to trying all of it out.

Rob
    Of all the people that I have net, you are truly one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robbyboatz View Post
    We have some of the hardest water that I have seen here in Jacksonville and I can whole hardedly say DP is awesome. I am still waiting for the temp to raise a little more to try out the Optimum soap. Dublifecrisis hooked a brother up with the Optimum sampler they sell for Christmas and looking forward to trying all of it out.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. Looking forward to your review of the Optimum soap (AND warmer temps, too!!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast