autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Colorchip

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Colorchip

Have any of you used this product yet? If so, what do you think of it? Do the results really look as good as the pictures on their Web site? How hard is it to use?

I'm sorry if I shouldn't be posting about this product on this site (since AG doesn't sell it), but since I've seen Mike and other members discuss it I'm figuring it'll be okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. Colorchip

I purchased some for a black car. I only tried it once but it wasn't as easy as they make it out to be in my experience. I tried it on small chips, relatively long scratches etc.

For me it states take the glove they provide and dab after applying but the glove pulls the paint out and I haven't found a way yet to smooth it to where you can't tell where the spot is.

The results so far is just like any used car a dealer has touched up just to hide the metal or white in a chip. If you inspect it you'll still see it.

Granted, it was my first attempt and I messed around approx an hour with it.

The one good thing, the solution they provide to take off the excess does work pretty good.

I just wouldn't expect to spend a minute and have it miraculously make the areas you are trying to fix disappear.

Post Thanks / Like

Its ok you can post it, we have looked into it before. Maybe some of the members have experience with it and can help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it with good results. There is a "technique" involved...dab it on and let it "sit" for a bit (I think the "drying" time window is rather lengthy so take your time - you're just letting the initial paint application set up and firm a bit; I usually "sit" it for about 5 - 15 minutes) then smear it with your gloved finger (you're just trying to take the "excess" portion off). Use the liquid wipe down afterward, let it cure for a few weeks and then polish/protect away. I had a "learning curve" before I got comfortable with the technique that works for me but results were very satisfactory. Sorry, but do not have pics. $50 is $50 but is somewhat of a cheap try. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used it on a silver car. I have a bad case of road rash on the lower front end. I tried their technique for road rash (use a soft t-shirt and smear it on, then follow normal procedures). This did not work at all. I have had good sucess with it on small individual chips however.

Post Thanks / Like

I used it on a deep scratch and it did "ok" in that the scratch is less noticeable, but still there. The removal of the excess paint worked well.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you guys say this is the best product out there for road chips and rashes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    Would you guys say this is the best product out there for road chips and rashes?

Hi check out this tread Mike Phillips spoke about Dr. Color Chip in his post to this thread.
    Rock Chip Repair

I emailed the co. with questions and they were very quick and thorough in their reply
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

I've used it on some road rash on the edge of a rear fender and it worked ok. Not the amazing disappearance they show, but good enough to hide the rash
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    Have any of you used this product yet? If so, what do you think of it? Do the results really look as good as the pictures on their Web site? How hard is it to use?
    Used it on a black Hyundai. On the larger chips it wanted to pull back out when it was smeared. Still concealed the chips better than before. I'd expect a better result with multiple applications.

On the peppered front bumper and forward facing parts of the hood I used the recommended t-shirt method. Many of the spots disappeared, some were still there so I reapplied with a better result.

I polished after a couple of weeks of curing with good results. The jury is still out on how long-term the repair is gonna be. Probably a moot point, the lady that drives the car wouldn't notice debris hitting her car if she was following a gravel truck and stones were ping-ponging off everywhere. ::::shrug::::

Of the remedies available I think Dr. Colorchips may be the best remedy for severely peppered front ends. For random deeper chips perhaps the individual-chip touchup methods may be a better solution.

YMMV..... TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast