autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

what is a "glaze"

ive been reading up alot but i cant really find the answer .

what exactly makes a glaze, a glaze?

to my understanding it is an oily like product that nourishes the paint and deepens luster while giving a slight polish. but i also thought a glaze was to fill in imperfections similar to pinnacle cleansing lotion. but i dont find any where that any of the "mirror glaze" products like #7, and #5 actually hide imperfections. or even clean for that matter and it doesnt lable them as actual abrasive polishes either it does say polish but doesnt say how much or anything...

i bought meguiars show car glaze #7 but its REALLY REALLY oily even after i wipe it off. did a test piece (carbon fiber interior piece) and i dont really like how it feels after finished. i did wax the piece too.

so what makes a glaze, a necessary part of the possess
    Last edited by 87rx7chick; 12-07-2009 at 02:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what is a "glaze"

The term Glaze in "Mirror Glaze" may be just that, a term or trademark name. Just as some polymer sealants marketed on the shelves of auto part stores are sometimes called "polish" or "wax" it is neither a polish or a wax it technically a sealent. I believe your discription is correct as to what a traditional glaze is, A product that brightens or darkens paint while filling light micro marring or imperfections.

A glaze is not a neccessary step in the detailing proccess as there are polishes that will finish down to near perfection with a good proccess. A glaze is somewhat of a Band-Aid product covering up some imperfections. Some people use a glaze in their process if they don't want to take the time to perfect their paint.

The use of a glaze can be good for daily drivers where a person wishes not to level their cars clear coat, so it is a trade off...use a glaze to keep more clear coat on the car. A lot of places will use a glaze when detailing a car in the production world of detailing but it then washes off later showing the holograms and micro marring. Using a glaze in this manner, to me is misleading and not a good practice to keep return customers. Hope this helps...TD

Mike Phillips

Here's something I posted in your other thread here,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...as-swirls.html

The M07 Show Car Glaze is a very oily product, (it's supposed to be), and my personal experience is that it doesn't apply well with a really soft finishing pad, it's just too gushy. So if you want to apply by machine try a polishing pad like your white polishing pad. For the Flex 3401, probably a speed setting around the 3 or 4 would work best.

You could also apply by hand using a clean, soft foam or microfiber applicator pad.

Couple of tips,

Thin application
    Apply a thin coat to a panel at a time and then remove with a clean, soft microfiber polishing cloth.

A panel = a Door, or a Hood, or Fender

Don't let it dry
    #7 doesn't not need to dry nor should you allow it to dry, it's a WOWO non-abrasive pure polish or glaze.

Remove in stages
    Usually if I use this product I would apply to a panel then get most of it off the panel and then make a second and maybe even a third pass, that is don't try to rub it 100% off from each square inch you're working on in real-time. Remove most of it off the panel, it's okay is you leave behind a few smears here and then just get most of it off, and the re-wipe the panel and be sure to fold you microfiber to a clean, fresh side.

Been around since the Model T
    M07 Has bee around since the early 1920's and the head chemist at Meguiar's told me he's never touched the formula, so the only one that has created and modified the formula over all these years would be Frank Meguiar Jr. and after him Malcolm Meguiar, both of whom are no longer with us.

The glass bottle to the far left is only post-WWII but it's been around since the 1920's. The bottle second from the right came out during the transition of the name change from Sealer & Reseal Glaze to Show Car Glaze.

Mike Phillips

The problem with words used in the detailing industry is there's not standards by which companies must adhere and their's no governmental agency with oversight... yet...

Thus the word Glaze can mean a paint sealant or it can be used to describe a non-abrasive beauty product like the M07 Show Car Glaze.

I think it's safe to say that the term Glaze has most of it's history in the re-finishing industry where after a two-step rotary buffing process on fresh paint, one a heavy cut, the second a finishing polish, the fresh paint would then have a glaze applied to it to hide or mask the remaining buffer swirls so when the customer looks at and inspects the paint they find it acceptable.

And that's how a glaze is often used in the body shop or re-finishing industry because a quality glaze will fill and hide light or shallow imperfections.

In theory, a quality shop will do a quality buff job and there will be no swirls in the paint and when this is true the glaze is applied as the finishing touch, like frosting on a cake as body shops don't normally allow a wax or paint sealant into their work environment so instead of applying a wax or paint sealant to finish off their work they apply a hand-applied glaze or pure polish.

Detail shops on the other hand have no problems with using waxes and paint sealants as they're not spraying fresh paint so their last step is to apply a wax or pain sealant.

Does any of that make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The problem with words used in the detailing industry is there's not standards by which companies must adhere and their's no governmental agency with oversight... yet...

Thus the word Glaze can mean a paint sealant or it can be used to describe a non-abrasive beauty product like the M07 Show Car Glaze.

I think it's safe to say that the term Glaze has most of it's history in the re-finishing industry where after a two-step rotary buffing process on fresh paint, one a heavy cut, the second a finishing polish, the fresh paint would then have a glaze applied to it to hide or mask the remaining buffer swirls so when the customer looks at and inspects the paint they find it acceptable.

And that's how a glaze is often used in the body shop or re-finishing industry because a quality glaze will fill and hide light or shallow imperfections.

In theory, a quality shop will do a quality buff job and there will be no swirls in the paint and when this is true the glaze is applied as the finishing touch, like frosting on a cake as body shops don't normally allow a wax or paint sealant into their work environment so instead of applying a wax or paint sealant to finish off their work they apply a hand-applied glaze or pure polish.

Detail shops on the other hand have no problems with using waxes and paint sealants as they're not spraying fresh paint so their last step is to apply a wax or pain sealant.

Does any of that make sense?

oh it makes all the scene in the world!!! it really was my missing link to my detail processes. i guess i really didnt need it but because i cant view the car in direct sunlight its prob safe to use before the car show so nothing slips by me and gets viewed in the bright sun and i just feel terrible that i missed something. though i know after 105 there really wasnt anything... its safe to say i should use glaze for this car show coming up!!!

and i guess i should go pick up some applicator pads hu? i think you just saved me a headache of trying to apply it with a foam pad and making a mess.

i noticed last night when using m07 that the microfiber cloth sucked alot of it up while trying to apply it to a small piece of carbon fiber.

im going to read your post a few more times and get back to work!

Post Thanks / Like

I never got along with #7, however there are many different glazes that add their own oils and polymers to the paint when you apply them. Many will fill but there are also many that do contain slight abrasives for instance Wolfgang Glaze or Pinnacle XMT finishing glaze or there are heavy fillers like Poorboy's Black Hole.

Bottom line is the word glaze is a bit ambiguous so if you do some research on specific products you can likely find reviews from those who have used it and read their thoughts. At least thats what I do!

Mike Phillips

I find applying with a small, foam applicator pad to work best. After you apply the #7 a few times the pad will become a little saturated with product and then you'll find less soaking into it and a little bit of M07 going a long ways.

Here's an old product that uses the name glaze that I have in my collection...

Note it claims no wax no grit

Post Thanks / Like

wow thats crazy

yes i really do wish i had time to pick up black hole or other "better" glazes but like i said. i am a lil short on time and the sun aint out and i rather be safe then sorry =X

i'll be looking forward to researching all these products mentioned !