autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What to get?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What to get?

Just did my first order for material to cover a few jobs...here's what I got (should be in before 2pm today)

...Porter Cable kit with 5 pads of my choice, as well as some more Klasse Sealant, some more Ultimate Compound, some Meg's Swirl X, Meg's 205 Ultra Finishing Polish, and the XMT 180 paste wax.

Does anyone have any recommendations/additions to this? I run a mobile detailing business and mostly work on high end vehicles (Mercedes-Benz AMG Series, regular MB's, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Maserati) but I do work on all makes and models.

Any help would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to get?

I would get Pinnacle Signature Series II instead of the XMT 180 IMO its much easier to apply and take off.
    These are the products I use. It is all personal preference. Try alot of products and find something you like.

M105
    M205
    SIP
    Wolfgang Paint Sealant 3.0
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
    Pinnacle Liquid Souveran
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to get?

I did a test panel on my own truck today, as I've been so used to using the rotary/3M Perfect It 3000 system that I knew this would be a learning experience...didn't take pictures because although it's visibly noticable, my camera wouldn't show the differences in panels very well since my truck is white...here's how I went about it. The truck has been severely neglected mainly because it's my beater truck (though I wouldn't say it's bad enough to be considered a beater...just a typical work truck).

Washed the door, chamois to dry it, then a large microfiber follow-up drying. Hit it with a light clay bar and got it glassy smooth...thing had swirl scratchs/spiderweb scratching all over it.

First thing I did was apply the Ultimate Compound using the PC and the yellow cutting pad. Worked the panel three full times, each with less and less pressure.

Now here is where I screwed up...I didn't pick an orange pad with the kit, so I instead went to the white polishing pad and worked the panel 3 full times using the Meguiars Swirl X...thing was already looking MUCH better!

Now here's another mistake I made...I didn't pick a Green Polishing/Finishing pad, so I ended up applying my M205 with the Gray Finishing Pad...needed a few extra passes, but it did the job, and it was already looking much better.

Follow that, I applied the Klasse sealant on the panel by hand, and buffed off by hand with a microfiber towel 25 minutes later. I then applied the XMT 180 by hand with a foam applicator, let it set for about 20 minutes, and it buffed off with the microfiber surprisingly easily, and I am rather happy with the result.

Things that I figured out:
    - I've used the M105 before...I had to do a detail a while back and the customer requested the 105/205 system, and his paint was pretty well shot, and I liked using it...although I like how the Ultimate Compound performs on neglected paint, I'm not entirely sure it would cut as well as the 105 on SEVERELY neglected paint, so I think I'm gonna keep some M105 on hand for the bad ones.
    - With the proper pads, I'm imagining it wouldn't have taken as many work-overs on the panel if I had the proper pad/polish configurations
    - The DA buffer...well, I like working that MUCH better then the 'ole rotary.

So now I have an orange pad, a green pad, another yellow pad, and some 105 on order.

...and what is this "SIP" you speak of?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.