autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This is Hologram or DA haze or ???

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Are you asking about my approach? It's really nothing cosmic or earth shattering.

I simply don't chase 100% perfection when I polish out my cars. I also use the lightest polish needed to knock out the more obvious swirls and don't chase after the deeper defects that appear over time. I'll also only lightly polish it on an annual basis, or even longer intervals now that I'm using coatings.

Daily drivers will accumulate defects over time, and I don't feel it's worth abrading large amounts of the clear coat trying to elimiate them. If I'm going to hang onto a vehicle for a decade, my priority is on the survival of the paint. Protection will come first before beauty.

tks

Post Thanks / Like

A tip for OP and all:

Wipe the area (with a MF towel), both vertically and horizontally, that you suspect is hologramming and inspect the results. For illustration: wipe vertically and inspect, then wipe horizontally and inspect. If you see the direction of the lines/hologramming mirroring the direction in which you're wiping, it is most likely simply excess residue that has not been completely removed. If by using this method you've confirmed that it is excess product, grab a clean dry MF and proceed to wipe the area. However, environmental conditions might be such that there is too much moisture in the air and the area will keep ghosting, as you're seeing.

Learned all of this trying to teach myself how to finish out hologram-free with a Rotary.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattyL View Post
    A tip for OP and all:

Wipe the area (with a MF towel), both vertically and horizontally, that you suspect is hologramming and inspect the results. For illustration: wipe vertically and inspect, then wipe horizontally and inspect. If you see the direction of the lines/hologramming mirroring the direction in which you're wiping, it is most likely simply excess residue that has not been completely removed. If by using this method you've confirmed that it is excess product, grab a clean dry MF and proceed to wipe the area. However, environmental conditions might be such that there is too much moisture in the air and the area will keep ghosting, as you're seeing.

Learned all of this trying to teach myself how to finish out hologram-free with a Rotary.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks MattyL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123