autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Menzerna or Griot's? Which products should I use?

Menzerna or Griot's? Which products should I use?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

So I get an e-mail asking,

Hey Mike I know your a busy guy but I didn't know if you could give some advice on adding some paint correction services and products to my business arsenal. Just can't decide on some certain products and didn't know if your expertise could give me some insight. I'm stuck on whether to buy menzerna's fg400,mc2500, and sf3800 or go with griots boss line of correcting creams. It should also be noted that while I have been using a rotary and my gg6 on family and personal cars for years, offering paint correction and coatings to the public is something that will be new at my business for 2018. Along with my Makita rotary, my gg6 with a 3",5",and 6" backing plate and pads, I do plan on purchasing a g21 or rupes 21mm at the first of the year.

Thanks for reaching out to me, I don't have time to answer individual e-mail where only one set of eyeballs will see the time-investment in typing out helpful, detailed how-to information.

Also, here's a tip... when typing, hit the [Enter Key] once in a while. The human eyes don't like to read large chunks or large blocks of text.

Like this,

Hey Mike I know your a busy guy but I didn't know if you could give some advice on adding some paint correction services and products to my business arsenal.

Just can't decide on some certain products and didn't know if your expertise could give me some insight.

I'm stuck on whether to buy menzerna's fg400,mc2500, and sf3800 or go with griots boss line of correcting creams.

It should also be noted that while I have been using a rotary and my gg6 on family and personal cars for years, offering paint correction and coatings to the public is something that will be new at my business for 2018.

Along with my Makita rotary, my gg6 with a 3",5",and 6" backing plate and pads, I do plan on purchasing a g21 or rupes 21mm at the first of the year.

You can't go wrong with Menzerna products. The Griot's BOSS compounds and polishes are also great. The only way you will know which brand you like best is with hands-on real-world experience. So I'd suggest starting with one brand and then before the product run-out order the other brand and this way you will get real-world experience and if you're busy detailing cars it won't take too long to have used both brands and then know which brand you like better.

Menzerna products

Griot's BOSS products

I would also highly recommend you join this forum and use this form to learn more and also interact with me when you have a question. Not above how I was able to provide you with a link to the products you asked about? The form is a powerful learning tool.

Stop lurking and join the forum today!

I'm not sure where you live but I would highly recommend seeking out and attending a REAL detailing class taught by someone in this industry with a great reputatioin and someone that has real testimonies from people that have attended their class and the testimonies are POWERFULLY POSITIVE.

A real class will NOT cost you money - just the opposite - it will MAKE YOU MONEY.

Hope that helps...

Mike

2. Likes Renozx12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menzerna or Griot's? Which products should I use?

One other piece of advice to give is, as Mike states, systems are created to work together; i.e., the BOSS Creams are designed to work with the BOSS system of Pads and Tools. That doesn't mean you can't use them with the G6 etc... However when Griot's was designing all the products, they designed them to work as a system, so just keep that in mind.

If you contact any of the brands, they will send you small samples. Griot's has little packets of all their creams. (kind of like big tear-open ketchup packets).
    I'm sure Menz has small 3oz or 4oz bottles they can send as samples.

However, by joining the forum you'll see a thread called Samples: SAMPLES (original post updated)
    Where folks are willing to share product.

I have many products... way to many, and if you're looking for Menz samples, I'm willing to offer some. PM me. I have the older style numbers FG400, SF4000 and SF4500 (old numbers) along with similar DAT compounds and polishes in the Pinnacle line up. I have all of them, including the BOSS system (tools, pads & creams) in my lineup. Each have pro's that are little different than each other, but not many cons.

Hope this helps!

4. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the explanation. I have tried and used several different brands on compound/polish and have come down to my go-to compound/polish. My go-to is Menzerna FG400 and SF4500 (Menzerna 3800). This is my combo I use for 95% of all of my correcting work. This was the best combo (FOR ME) for detailing. During my trials and tribulations I have come to like 3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultra Fine Polish as my "Jeweling" Polish (the other 5%)....LOL

I know the instructions on the 3M says it's for a rotary machine, however, I have had great success with it. I use my Flex 3401 on Speed setting 5 with either a White Lake country Pad or a Gold Lake country Pad. That is my only deviation from my go-to combo.

It was an expensive way to learn what you like in terms of correcting, however, I have not deviated from it. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Again, Guru Mike Phillips has spoken and as usual, I still can't take the pebble from his hand!

Yours Truly
    Grasshopper, Quai Chang
    Shou Lin Kung Fu Apprentice!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Dislikes dlc95 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im just throwing this out there. I have both lines and I like the menzerna better. Their sf 3500 is the best finishing polish out there. Many many people say that. In my opinion its better then the boss perfecting cream. Though I do like the boss correction cream but the menzerna 2500 is prob just as good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Thank you for the explanation. I have tried and used several different brands on compound/polish and have come down to my go-to compound/polish. My go-to is Menzerna FG400 and SF4500 (Menzerna 3800). This is my combo I use for 95% of all of my correcting work. This was the best combo (FOR ME) for detailing. During my trials and tribulations I have come to like 3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultra Fine Polish as my "Jeweling" Polish (the other 5%)....LOL

I know the instructions on the 3M says it's for a rotary machine, however, I have had great success with it. I use my Flex 3401 on Speed setting 5 with either a White Lake country Pad or a Gold Lake country Pad. That is my only deviation from my go-to combo.

It was an expensive way to learn what you like in terms of correcting, however, I have not deviated from it. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Again, Guru Mike Phillips has spoken and as usual, I still can't take the pebble from his hand!

Yours Truly
    Grasshopper, Quai Chang
    Shou Lin Kung Fu Apprentice!
    Sorry, Kamakaz! Latency in my phone had me pressing the "dislike" button, after I hit "like"!

Make no mistake, I LOVE that post!

9. Likes Kamakaz1961, ironmongoose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally like the BOSS over the menz line, but that is because of where I detail. I get longer working times and better results with the BOSS creams in direct sunlight in the desert heat. I also suggest more then just one line incase what you have is not working out because the paint system on the car is to hard/soft etc you can switch up your combo. I have griots, menz, mckees, megs and 2 other lines on my shelf at all times and while I have my main go-to's they are not the end alls.

11. Thanks Fwawa20 thanked for this post
    Likes ironmongoose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

for those who have't seen it, here's an explanation of the BOSS Creams...

Post Thanks / Like

I would keep in mind how universal the Menzerna range is. Any tool, any paint, and they'll perform flawlessly.

They've been shoving my Megs stuff aside for a couple months now. I can count on them to work in a wide variety of climate conditions as well as delivering a world class finish on any paint I've used them on.

One of my favorite aspects of Menzerna is the strength of the lubricating matrix. It creates a definite film over the work area, where the abrasives can work their magic.

Griot's on the other hand make excellent product, but as stated before, they're designed for their proprietary system of polishes and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

They each have their pros and cons. I tend to reach for the BOSS creams most but I have both lines on hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

15. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest try them both as suggested. It seems by your initial question you have narrowed it down to those two and an excellent two they are. In my experience I've had to work products in MY hands and using MY techniques and equipment to best evaluate what I like.

Again, they are both top shelf product lines however you may find you like one slightly better than the other.

I'm like Cruz though, I have several lines I use depending on what I have in front of me. My inventory has been built up by playing with all of them to get as completely familiar with how they work best for me in certain situations.

But start with these two and you'll feel them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast