autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing McKee's tire coating

I applied this way too thick I think and 24 hours later it's peeling a brownish substance. I thought I cleaned the rubber thoroughly, but clearly not.

I'm using tire cleaner and a stiff nylon brush to chip away at it, but it's tough. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing McKee's tire coating

It should not have any issues if applied it thick. I apply about 2-3 coats but do use the metro blaster sidekick to accelerate the drying time in between coats and after the final coat.

Just when you think the tires are clean hit them again with the tire cleaner. You should be getting white suds and that is when the tires are clean.

A couple questions for you.

How old are these tires? Are they new?

How long ago has it been since you stopped using a previous tire dressing?

If you really want to remove the tire coating I wrote this How To and it still pertains to the McKee's version.

How to remove DP Tire Coating

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome thanks for finding this link. It is most likely that I didn't let enough time go by and/or scrub enough for it to bond properly. I'll give it another go once I get it clean over a period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

A couple questions for you.

How old are these tires? Are they new?

How long ago has it been since you stopped using a previous tire dressing?
    I'm also interested to know the answers to these questions...

What specific tire cleaner did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Guz, is it safe to assume that removal process also applies to TW tire coating since it's acrylic too?

And did your tires remain with scrub lines in the rubber as shown in your close ups?

I waited a few weeks before applying the TW tire coating on new General tires in hopes of letting the release mold junk leech out. Apparently it wasn't long enough. It's been a few months since first applied and I'm not happy with the blotchiness and uniform look. Might remove it and go back to regular tire shine products.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My tires are about a year old and I cleaned them with Tuf Shine tire cleaner several times, but I've been using chemical guys VRT bimonthly and a couple days prior to tire coating the dealership put some of their junk (unknown type) on it. I thought I cleaned them well (day prior to application and day of). Once the tires were dry I did the coating... a few thick coats and today its peeling off badly and looks horrible after a short drive. I should have prepped more, but I'll go the steel wool route this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Steel wool cleans tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Guz, is it safe to assume that removal process also applies to TW tire coating since it's acrylic too?

And did your tires remain with scrub lines in the rubber as shown in your close ups?

I waited a few weeks before applying the TW tire coating on new General tires in hopes of letting the release mold junk leech out. Apparently it wasn't long enough. It's been a few months since first applied and I'm not happy with the blotchiness and uniform look. Might remove it and go back to regular tire shine products.
    I'm sure it will work and remove the TW stuff easily. I find DP/Mckee's to be harder to remove than TW especially on a fresh application. After the coating has been on for a few months they are both easily removed with a tire cleaner such as Tuf Shine.

I can't recall but as far as I know the scrub marks are not there. I will have to check the next time I recoat the wheels. The current application of my old DP bottle is going strong at just over 4 months.

Some tires take a little longer for the mold release wax to completely be removed. Also some tires don't take a tire coating that well. For example the goodyears on my dad's 2015 Impala. Tuf Shine Tire Coating or McKee's Tire Coating doesn't last more than a month before the tire looks dull. I have since gone back to a regular tire dressing in CarPro Perl which takes very well on the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by fly4food84 View Post
    My tires are about a year old and I cleaned them with Tuf Shine tire cleaner several times, but I've been using chemical guys VRT bimonthly and a couple days prior to tire coating the dealership put some of their junk (unknown type) on it.
    These two things are what I am going to conclude as the problem. The CG tire dressing has probably absorbed into the tire and needs time to work it's way out. The dealership tire dressing, which is probably silicon does not help. I would recommend not running a tire dressing of any sorts for about a month minimum and just clean your tires. Then try the tire coating again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I'm sure it will work and remove the TW stuff easily. I find DP/Mckee's to be harder to remove than TW especially on a fresh application. After the coating has been on for a few months they are both easily removed with a tire cleaner such as Tuf Shine.

I can't recall but as far as I know the scrub marks are not there. I will have to check the next time I recoat the wheels. The current application of my old DP bottle is going strong at just over 4 months.

Some tires take a little longer for the mold release wax to completely be removed. Also some tires don't take a tire coating that well. For example the goodyears on my dad's 2015 Impala. Tuf Shine Tire Coating or McKee's Tire Coating doesn't last more than a month before the tire looks dull. I have since gone back to a regular tire dressing in CarPro Perl which takes very well on the tires.
    Thanks for the info! I think your right about not adhering to certain tires. With as much prep work, cleaning and as meticulous as I was with applying the TW coating, I was underwhelmed with the final result. Or maybe my expectations were too high.

I'll try your recommended removal process. Although I'm not looking forward to it as I know it's going to be time and labor intensive. Lol