autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Yeah, another polisher question...

Yes, another. First an intro - I keep up six cars of different ages. All but one are metallic/clearcoat paints.

I own a PC 7424. Use lake county pads on it. Occasionally.

Im also very time limited between family, travel, work, etc.

I have a good car washing ststem set up that really limits marring and scratching. All the cars are parked carefully, and do not have dents or scratches. Any damage is due to the environmental fallout, driving on the roads, birds and critters.

Some cars use cquartz, others blackfire wax, etc.

most cars are parked outside.

So all that said, I appreciate keeping my cars clean and well protected. Heavy correction is not needed. Speed and convenience for light correction or just very light "cleanup" is key. Id like to be able to do a full correction, wash and dry included, in four hours or a little more. Including a minivan.

Cost isnt really a consideration. If two machines gives a marked benefit, I'm ok with that. I am not keen on having to keep and wash multiple pads in multiple sizes but if the benefit is compelling, so be it.

Im not a pro and won't make money off this. I am not afraid to spend money on a tool I'll use for the next 20-40 years with light usage.

It it seems that for fast light corrections, the best bet would be either a flex 3401 or a rupes 15 mk II. Maybe. Since speed is a premium, is the 21 a better bet, especially since I don't seee the need for heavy corrections?

Since all cars cars have little spots to go over, is a rupes mini 75 an obvious second tool?

is there a reason to have a flex 3401, a rupes 15 or 21 mm ii AND a mini? Again, I'm not opposed to spending money on the right tool to make a long job faster and easier. But frugality is also a virtue.

Fast, right and easy as top three, what would you buy?

easy, fast and right as top three, how would a secection of machines change?

thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yeah, another polisher question...

I have the PC7424XP and have delegated it to my mini-DA as well as sealant and wax applicator. My main DA is the Flex 3401. You mentioned reducing a long job and making it easier. All I know is that ever since I got the Flex 3401 I have never looked back. I have reduced my correcting time (compared to the PC) MORE than 1/2. You will pick up on how to use the Flex pretty easy. If I had to do it all over again; knowing that there are new DA's that have come to the market, would I pick the Flex 3401 again. My answer is yes.

I would look into Mike Phillips thread in the comparison of the Rupes and the Flex 3401 and he makes great points. I am on the Flex side and you can't go wrong with the Rupes either. BTW, either DA's you decide to go with is a HUGE upgrade from the PC7424XP. As I said before it is my 3" Mini-DA and LSP applicator. Good Hunting!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Ggg6 awesome little powerful da.Need more bite buy some micropads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
    I am not afraid to spend money on
    a tool I'll use for the next 20-40 years
    with light usage.

Fast, right and easy as top three,
    what would you buy?
    Since you want 20-40yrs. service-life:
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher

{It comes with a 100% lifetime warranty}

I don't seee the need for heavy
    corrections? Since all cars cars have
    little spots to go over...
    Use this, or similar polish, with the
    recommended pad and the GG6":

Griots Garage BOSS Perfecting Cream

And when/where necessary...
    Use this, or similar liquid:

Griots Garage BOSS Correcting Cream

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

I would look into Mike Phillips thread in the comparison of the Rupes and the Flex 3401 and he makes great points.
    I must have read 100 pages and it's all looking into six in one, half dozen in the other...

So thats ATs sort of why I'm going after one big, but then is the next item to buy a mini or a different polisher?

I have a rupes duetto coming on loan shortly to try and get a feel for...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Since you want 20-40yrs. service-life:
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher

{It comes with a 100% lifetime warranty}
    I'm just not a heavy user, six cars a year at max? Any pro machine ought to last a long time...

Warranty aside, is there reason to think that GG is better made than flex, rupes, pc, etc?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I have the PC7424XP and have delegated it to my mini-DA as well as sealant and wax applicator. My main DA is the Flex 3401. You mentioned reducing a long job and making it easier. All I know is that ever since I got the Flex 3401 I have never looked back. I have reduced my correcting time (compared to the PC) MORE than 1/2. You will pick up on how to use the Flex pretty easy. If I had to do it all over again; knowing that there are new DA's that have come to the market, would I pick the Flex 3401 again. My answer is yes.

I would look into Mike Phillips thread in the comparison of the Rupes and the Flex 3401 and he makes great points. I am on the Flex side and you can't go wrong with the Rupes either. BTW, either DA's you decide to go with is a HUGE upgrade from the PC7424XP. As I said before it is my 3" Mini-DA and LSP applicator. Good Hunting!

In my opinion, this is great advice from Kamakaz1961.

Although I don't have a PC7424XP (we don't get them in NZ) they are a pretty reliable tool, & like Kamakaz1961 states - pretty versatile too. I used to have a DAS-6 that I used as a 3 inch polisher & for applying waxes/sealants as well.

As for the Flex 3401 - I use them on a daily basis in our shop & all of them have had countless hours of use & never let me down, not once. I have other tools in the shop but seldom reach for anything other than the Flex unless its a complimentary polisher alongside.

If I HAD to choose only 2 polishers ever - it'd be the Flex PE-14 & the Flex 3401 period! I think Kamakaz1961 is steering you in the right direction here though.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just not a heavy user, six
    cars a year at max? Any pro
    machine ought to last a long time
    "Ought to last a long time" sounds good,
    but, IMO, has no lasting-affect on polishers
    having only One Year Warranties.

As is usually the case:
    The number of times that a polisher
    is used per year is irrelevant to the
    manufacturers' implementation of
    their One Year Warranties.

Warranty aside, is there reason to
    think that GG is better made than
    flex, rupes, pc, etc?
    I'd say it's the same reason-ing that
    people use when a similar comparison
    is going to be meted out for the majority
    of Consumer Product subsets.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

do 21mm with 5in plate or a Makita PO5000C(my first choice now adays)
    Either way but a Griots HD 3in backingplate

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PC with a 3" plate and 21 with a 5" plate and have nothing bad to say. I haven't used a flex but I'm sure I'd be happy with it too. If you value outright correction speed above all else, get the flex. The rupes is great but its generally seen as more of a finesse tool. Smoother, a little easier on the user, but it can have trouble on really curvy panels. Not really a huge issue for me though because I can just do tight curves with the PC and a smaller pad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast