autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What to do if you cant get ahold of a customer to pick up the car?

Hello! So this is something I haven't really thought about, what do you do if you cant get ahold of someone to get their car? I have tried a few times yesterday with calls and one text. No answer. I tried today from two different numbers ... no answer.

Do you all have a time frame to give someone before you tow it off or do something else?

also do you know of any cases where the car ended up be stolen or someone trying to clean something that shouldn't be cleaned?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do if you cant get ahold of a customer to pick up the car?

I actually went through this with a lease turn in car, the client gave me a weird feeling that something was fishy. After 3 days no contact, I contacted my local pd and was advised to not tow but to make a police report. Sure enough on the 4 th day the client called and was asking where her car was, I said it's still here and she thought I was going to drop it off, I said that was never discussed and she went on and on about how I screwed her. She comes to get the car and didn't want to pay and was getting hostile so I called the police. Cops come,show them the police report and the emails and phone call attempts from the prior 3 days, cops side with me and she finally paid.
    Now I'm not saying a circumstance like this is common but there are a lot of goof ball people out there. I'm not sure but she accused me of driving her car and putting on 1200 miles, luckily for me I take pictures to document miles,prior dents, curb rash etc. I believe she was over on her miles and was looking for a scapegoat. After this I only take on customers that I feel comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I actually went through this with a lease turn in car, the client gave me a weird feeling that something was fishy. After 3 days no contact, I contacted my local pd and was advised to not tow but to make a police report. Sure enough on the 4 th day the client called and was asking where her car was, I said it's still here and she thought I was going to drop it off, I said that was never discussed and she went on and on about how I screwed her. She comes to get the car and didn't want to pay and was getting hostile so I called the police. Cops come,show them the police report and the emails and phone call attempts from the prior 3 days, cops side with me and she finally paid.
    Now I'm not saying a circumstance like this is common but there are a lot of goof ball people out there. I'm not sure but she accused me of driving her car and putting on 1200 miles, luckily for me I take pictures to document miles,prior dents, curb rash etc. I believe she was over on her miles and was looking for a scapegoat. After this I only take on customers that I feel comfortable with.

Ya I am sure that happens. I am starting to wonder about this one. He seemed alright and said no hurry and didnt need it for a few days. It's just weird that I cant get ahold of him and hes not calling back. Its definitely not a lease car . its an older vehicle and rust on the outside of it. Said he just bought it and is going to fix it up to sell for more later on.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    Ya I am sure that happens. I am starting to wonder about this one. He seemed alright and said no hurry and didnt need it for a few days. It's just weird that I cant get ahold of him and hes not calling back. Its definitely not a lease car . its an older vehicle and rust on the outside of it. Said he just bought it and is going to fix it up to sell for more later on.
    If you know his name first and last try looking him up on social media. You have done enough so this isn't a means of contact just a way of finding out if he's alive or dead in so many words.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have a shop so this never happens to me. On the other hand, a few times I have taken an appointment with someone and could not reach them the night before to confirm the appointment nor the day of the appointment. When this happens, I consider it a cancellation and don't drive to the client's location. Forced vacation day is the way I look at it. Really annoying but a day off is not such a bad thing in the end

Oh, and once someone does something like this to me, he is on the black list from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    That's crazy! Can't believe people try to pull $hit like that.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    Hello! So this is something I haven't really thought about, what do you do if you cant get ahold of someone to get their car? I have tried a few times yesterday with calls and one text. No answer. I tried today from two different numbers ... no answer.

Do you all have a time frame to give someone before you tow it off or do something else?

also do you know of any cases where the car ended up be stolen or someone trying to clean something that shouldn't be cleaned?

Thanks!
    That is very weird, I feel like if you don't hear from them in 48 to 72 hours I would call the local police and explain the situation. They can at the very least check the car if it was stolen or even do a welfare check on the customer?

I'm sure this could be a problem for shops that have limited space and customer didn't discuss leaving the car there. I'm sure detailers could charge a "storage" fee per day that customer is no show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    That is very weird, I feel like if you don't hear from them in 48 to 72 hours I would call the local police and explain the situation. They can at the very least check the car if it was stolen or even do a welfare check on the customer?

I'm sure this could be a problem for shops that have limited space and customer didn't discuss leaving the car there. I'm sure detailers could charge a "storage" fee per day that customer is no show.
    Ya I actually called today and it didnt come back as stolen. But the name I said from his voicemail isnt the name on the plate they ran. Wouldnt give me the name and the guy did say he just bought it so it could be the previous owners name still.

With that they would be doing a wellness check on the wrong person.. unless that other person knows the guys name and address they could get it from them. I may give it a few more days. If I have to they said a police report would be needed and then they would sticker the car .. if it sits there for two days then it can be towed

Post Thanks / Like

Insane.

This goes against the thinking of all us Geeks on here.

Imagine abandoning your ride?? Not wanting to see the results??

Again, insane.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.