autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I make the jump to a paint coating?

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I applied Optimum Opti-Coat two years ago to the front half of my car. To this day, it is still shiny, looks great from a few feet away. However, the moment after I applied the coating, it got bird-bombed, swirled, tarred, sapped and hit with embedded particles just like any clear-coat would. The front half of my car is rough to the touch and has modest swirling, but is shiny. The back half of my car is smooth to the touch and 90% swirl free. This is because I can clay and polish the back half of my car. I'm afraid to do this with the coated front half of my car - don't want to wreck the coating. So it depends on you. If you are a perfectionist and like to fuss with your car, don't do a coating. If you want the car to be shiny, and don't care if the finish is not so awesome on close inspection, do a coating. Kind of comes down to that.
    Gloss Coat can be coated using optimum car wax as clay lube.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know does a coating save clear coat better then a wax/sealant combo? Meaning will it protect against swirls better p4p then a high end wax/sealant double layered lsp?

Post Thanks / Like

Others have already said it but it can't be said enough, stays cleaner longer due to NOT attracting dust like products with wax in it. Speaking of wax, forget about using RW or WW's that have wax in it because it WILL change the look THAT you've achieved with a coating. Right now it's N914 and Ech2o for me to maintain my coatings finish, hasn't changed the look one bit.

The looks of a coating are very impressive and there's no products to boost its longevity/appearance when you feel you need to a couple monthes or year down the road, depending upon which product you use to coat with.

Finally cleanup is easier and that's a big plus with a big truck!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I would like to know does a coating save clear coat better then a wax/sealant combo? Meaning will it protect against swirls better p4p then a high end wax/sealant double layered lsp?
    I don't think any coating will provide much more in the way of scratch/mar resistance. The real selling strength is exactly like Klasse Act just mentioned: it makes washing and maintenance much easier. When washing and drying become nearly effortless, there is far less potential for maring. Also in my case, the coatings last far longer than even the most durable sealant I've used, so I have an easy to clean vehicle that looks great and I don't have to detail it nearly as often as in the past when I used less durable products.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I like detailing my car so I don't mind that aspect. I think the dust attraction comments about traditional products are highly exaggerated. After the first wash they don't attract much dust imo. Maybe during pollen season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I like detailing my car so I don't mind that aspect. I think the dust attraction comments about traditional products are highly exaggerated. After the first wash they don't attract much dust imo. Maybe during pollen season
    I have noticed a big difference in dusting, even when we aren't in the middle of a spring pollen "blizzard". I live in a fairly dusty area due to all the agricultural fields. Vehicles accumulate light dust constantly almost year round. Only a covering or snow or long periods of rain will knock it down. I've noticed significantly less dust accumulation on my vehicles since I've applied a coating. Not only is the accumulation much less, but due to the better water sheeting properties, a good rain shower will rinse away what little dust has accumulated.

Long ago I moved from carnuaba waxes to sealants in order to make my life easier. Now I've used a coating, it is the next progression for me. I love detailing my cars too, but life doesn't afford me much time lately. This way I still wash them on my normal intervals, but don't have to do a full LSP refresh nearly as often.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings and sealants are more durable than wax, so having one on your paint is great way to ensure its protected. You can also layer a wax on top of many coatings which is great for those of us who enjoy waxing our cars. If you do apply a coating, make sure you go through all the prep steps noted by the coating manufacturer. Nothing worse than sealing in imperfections in your paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12