autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Makita PO5000CX2

This seems to be a real new product, I watched the Video with Mike Phillips doing some work with the tool ! Seems to be a real nice machine .
    Has anyone on here acquired and used it yet ?
    My orbital polisher is getting tired and I want to get a new one to replace it !
    My problem is once again toooooooo many choices !
    If you lived in Russia there would be two choices , the rich mans buffer and the poor mans buffer, not the case in this country we have twenty choices for the same basic product !
    When I am looking to acquire a tool I want the best tool that can be acquired and of course I will shop it to death before I buy it.
    I am retired but so some detailing on boats, cars and trucks, and like to keep my own stuff real shiny !
    Any and all input will be appreciated !
    Brain

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Makita PO5000CX2

Do you use a rotary?

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Brian I have had one for a little over a month now. I haven't used it extensively enough to write a full review, but I can tell you in direct drive mode it is a correcting machine. Zero pad stall as you would expect, and this allows you to work more efficiently. I've been using mine with LC ThinPro's and love the combination. I do sometime soon hope to try it out with my LC HDO pads and see how the machine feels with them. I know the HDO's were designed for low throw machines. In random orbit mode, you have to use it on speeds 4 & 5 to do correction. Anything less is only good for sealant and wax applications. Seems to be solidly built - reliability will be determined over time.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Brian I have had one for a little over a month now. I haven't used it extensively enough to write a full review, but I can tell you in direct drive mode it is a correcting machine. Zero pad stall as you would expect, and this allows you to work more efficiently. I've been using mine with LC ThinPro's and love the combination. I do sometime soon hope to try it out with my LC HDO pads and see how the machine feels with them. I know the HDO's were designed for low throw machines. In random orbit mode, you have to use it on speeds 4 & 5 to do correction. Anything less is only good for sealant and wax applications. Seems to be solidly built - reliability will be determined over time.

ScottH
    Does it want to walk on you in direct drive mode?

Post Thanks / Like

It does more so than a long throw machine such as the G15/G21, Rupes etc. - with direct drive you have to be more mindful of folds in the body panels - it will grab them and pull/walk away (so to speak). It's really nothing to be overly worried about - just be mindful of it and you'll be fine.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

LC says that their Hybrid Force (and older Hybrid) pads are designed for forced rotation machines (Flex XC3401, Makita POt000C, and soon, Rupes Mille). The HDO pads are for long throw free rotating DAs (Rupes 15/21 Bigdoits, GG BOSS 15/21).

Post Thanks / Like

does it turn clockwise?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    does it turn clockwise?
    Does it matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Counterclock wise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    does it turn clockwise?
    You'd think, if Makita's designer had used any other tools, a rotary, a drill, a grinder, a what the **** ever... they'd have made the tool spin the same direction as all those tools - clockwise. Or, if they'd even asked someone, anyone who had run those tools ever, even once in their lives which direction should this new tool spin, hey'd have made it spin the same - clockwise. But somehow, Makita managed to spend all that time and money designing a tool that spins counter clockwise in the forced rotation mode. Apparently, it just never came up. SMH, seriously.

And, "Does it matter?" Yes. Because if someone has in fact used and gotten comfortable with all those other tools, having it spin the same direction would have made it immediately useful because there would have been little to no learning curve. On the other hand, if you run a rotary and pick up this machine you'll have to learn to weight the pad against the paint on pretty much the opposite side as you would with the rotary so there will be a learning curve. Also, if you learn to use this machine before you use a rotary it will make the rotary counter intuitive and harder to learn. Again, seriously?

That said, the PO5000 with the new lake country pads and good polish is really good. It's fast and effective. You can get to just about every surface on a car without having to change machines and you can get right up to the edge and near moldings etc. without having to tape. (Your mileage may vary.) I find myself reaching for my rotary about a third the time I used to and getting done in less time with a better result, so the money I spent on two of them was well spent.

Mostly, this works for me because I've been using the Makita BO6040 since 2002 or so, so I already know how to run a machine that runs counter clockwise because it spins counter clockwise. But if I'd never run a rotary and the BO6040 I think I might hold off till some of the new forced rotation machines come out that did manage to get the spin consistent with the other tools just to make it easier to move from one to the other.

RSW

11. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast