autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirl marks and bug etchings in a 2014 black BMW 328d

Hi, Welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

Plenty of great advice supplied thus far. You will do well with the guidance.

The Wolfgang product line is fantastic and will work very well with your black BMW. Here is a great article on using the Wolfgang products.
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...gang-four.html

Dont hesitate to ask questions along the way. BTW, I have a Jet Black 07 and Jet Black 11.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1123 View Post
    So by the sounds of it, I'll need a more aggressive product for this job, so skip the WG Swirl Remover 3.0 and get the WG Uber Compound and start with the orange 5.5" cutting pads coupled with the 5" backing plate. Then move onto a less aggressive pad to use with the WG Finishing Glaze, then the WG DG Sealant with a pad that has no cut.

I'll report back here with the results.
    Just remember to perform a test spot. But most likely yes Uber with an orange pad and FG with a white pad. Finish off with the Sealant on a black or red pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of good info indeed! Lots to go through while I'm waiting for the supplies to arrive.

The Wolfgang Four, looks like a winning combination! Thanks for the link.

Ok duly noted regarding the process. I'll probably begin by doing a test spot with Uber/orange pad, FG/white pad, then the Sealant/Black or red pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally had a chance to begin working on my car's paint correction, and I fear I may have run into some trouble...

First of all, I had an unfortunate event happen to my ride. Somebody scraped it in a parking lot and drove off. Luckily, there was security camera footage and I was able to follow-up with the police. In any case, while my car was in the shop, the folks there worked on the hood of my vehicle and removed most of the bug etchings. That's the good news. However, they left some buffer trails. No worries I thought, I'm armed with the excellent info from this forum and my arsenal of recently delivered tools. I felt ready to tackle the job!

I took an afternoon, got my GG6 out with the 5" vented backing plate and accompanying pads (orange/white/red) and conditioning brush, along with my bottles of Wolfgang Uber Compound, Finishing Glaze, and DGPS, and got to work. My test spot looked phenomenal on the trunk lid. The Compound, Glaze, and DGPS did a superior job! After I did the trunk lid, roof, and hood, I had to call it a day. I put the car cover on it and then, without fail, it poured rain for the next two days. When I went to remove the car cover afterwards, I noticed some areas of the hood were wet, which was to be expected I suppose. I then discovered that there is a discoloration in a small section of my hood. Looks milky white compared to the rest of the panel. Thinking it may just be a Type 1 water spot, I tried using some compound/glaze on the area to no avail.

Unfortunately, I fear I may have failed to use the least aggressive product first when it came to my hood. Thinking about it afterwards, I bet the shop used a very aggressive abrasive on the hood, and then I came in and used the Uber Compound on top of that... So I think I may have burned through my clear coat.

Here are a couple of pictures. Maybe a little hard to see, but it's there. It's strange that it's only in one spot though. I used the same technique over the entire hood.

Swirl marks and bug etchings in a 2014 black BMW 328d-20170901_211600-jpg

Swirl marks and bug etchings in a 2014 black BMW 328d-20170901_211631-jpg

What are your thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12