autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical additive to increase Foam/Suds?

Look up the review of the Honest Wash Fat Foamer. Wile id does foam up, it doesn't do it very well. Right in the video, he says that it is horrible. Look at the video for the CG Glossworks soap. See the difference, both in the foam on the car, and the comments? There are differences, and they are not subtle. The Honest Wash Fat Foamer looks like it fulfills your request to name a soap that truly sucks, and doesn't foam (or doesn't foam well, at least), and doesn't clean. The turtle Wax review comes pretty close to being as bad. So yes, there are soaps that suck, and thre are soaps that are really good. The majority fall into the middle, just like the regular old bell curve.

The choice of soaps, as might be iunderstood from the title, it based on their being available on Amazon. He has reviewed Nanoskin, Meguiar's, and CG products (usually multiple from each line). Truth of the matter is that reviewing a soap that isn't available widely is not going to help anybody, as it probably won't be available to most people. For example, Glossworks for me is only available by mail order, while Extreme Maxi Suds II that I use is available locally. Glossworks may be better, but not so much better that I am willing to pay the extra cost, shipping and wait for the mail order to come in. Other, entire lines are not available at all. So his doing tests of say, Burt Hamber products (available in the UK an Europe, but not generally available in North America) wouldn't do most people any good. Same goes for Gyeon, or Carpro. He is trying to reach a general audience, not the leading edge detailers. Leadiing edge detailers don't need reviews to guide them, they know what works.

I didn't get the Glossworks, I got the CG Extreme Maxi Suds II. No it does not foam the best, but for a pH balanced soap, and it cleans really well. It is also cheaper than the favoured Glossworks, or the other favoured car wash soap which is from a line not carried here..

Post Thanks / Like

My question would be why? It's not suds or foam that wash a vehicle, it's the lubricity of the detergent and agitation of wash media (wash-mitt). Hence, why Mike Phillips states not to use the "cave-man" approach when filling your bucket. Fill with water first, then add your soap, then use your natural ability to stir the liquid, usually means I dunk my arm and hand and slosh the soapy water around and stir the solution

I do enjoy using my AGO Foam Cannon as a way to pre-treat the vehicle. And I use Megs Hyper Wash, about one ounce in the canister, and fill the rest with water, and it does the trick nicely.

Honestly, I'm not sure if making the vehicle looks like it just got painted white with soap creates a reasonable difference between getting the car gorged with a good car-soap, then use the wash-mitts and 2BM, (filled with 3 oz of Soap and 4 Gals of water).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of Russell. He's saved me from buying a lot of soaps on impulse. I would like someone to do a test that demonstrates whether suds help cleaning? I'm guessing very little but have no proof.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

You way way over thinking it. If you want more foam add more soap simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    You way way over thinking it. If you want more foam add more soap simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    As for washing s clean" car, it isn't.
    It is shown in the videos that there
    is some sort on the car.

It may not be mud caked, like what
    an off road vehicle just coming back
    from mud bogging all day, but the
    cars he is washing are about right
    for use with a foam cannon.

Really dirty cars are not going to benefit
    from a foam cannon wash. Very dirty cars
    need to get washed some other way.

So the dirt levels of the cars
    he is using for testing are
    appropriate for a foam cannon wash.
    AFAIC:
    The above narrative further validates
    and confirms the reasons for my being
    so blithely unconcerned when it comes
    to using foam guns/cannons in conjunc-
    tion with any phase of detailing vehicles.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    x3

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical additive to increase Foam/Suds?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Name 1 that totally lacks suds.
    @kritsilas. I said suds, not foam. Suds meaning in the bucket. I do not own a foam cannon so I honestly wasn't even thinking about that being a factor.. But I guess there is a difference between the soaps as far as the foam cannon experience goes.. But alot of people argue that the foam cannon is more for show than actual purpose as far as it making any significant difference as far as cleaning. Garry Dean made a video about that and I tend to agree with it.

If I had a foam cannon I wouldn't use it the way Russell uses it and instead I would pre rinse with the power washer then foam and leave the vehicle foamed and immediately begin my bucket wash adding more suds to the wash.

As far as Russells statements about the foam step/soap cleaning "non bonded contaminants... What he really means is dust, and the power washer alone can remove all the dust just fine. Any so called "bonded contaminants" are where a soap would actually impress if it was able to remove them while still being gentle enough to not strip wax, but that's a tall order, especially when it comes to regular car wash soaps.

I didn't see the Fat Max vid. I did see the Glossworks vid and I don't remember him glowing as high about it, but I could be wrong I only watched it once a few hours ago..

At the end of the day I'm of the belief that using a foam cannon as a pre rinse doesn't amount to much more than light dust removal anyways, max foam or not, it doesn't exactly translate to any cleaning of "bonded contaminants" to use his words.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post
    I'm a fan of Russell. He's saved me from buying a lot of soaps on impulse. I would like someone to do a test that demonstrates whether suds help cleaning? I'm guessing very little but have no proof.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app
    the problem with most soaps are they are not meant to be used in a foam gun/cannon but more so in a bucket wash. i would be more concerned about the soaps lubricity in which it helps prevent swirls in conjunction with your wash mitt. if one is concerned about it so much, pressure wash the car first before washing which will remove some of the loose dirt and then start your normal wash routine...

Post Thanks / Like

If you do watch the videos carefully, you will see that Russell/9thgenaccord does indeed characterize the soap in both the foam cannon and the bucket wash. He characterizes the foam structure (bubble sizes, mix of sizes, and for foam cannons, layers) and lubricity for both the foam out of the foam cannon, and from the wash bucket. Lubricity/slickness seems to be a particular point of emphasis for him.In addituon, he has now started to rate how "durable" the soap is on the wash media. Durability is defined (by him) as how slippery the the media at the end of a panel being soaped up is as compared to the beginning of the panel being soaped up. That too, seems to vary. between soaps.

As for the validity of a foam cannon, to each their own. Gary Dean has his opinions. Others have different opinions. Considering the amount of time that setting up a foam cannon/pressure washer takes up to set up, vs. just a pressure washer alone, I like to take the extra 5 minutes, and 2 ounces of soap and foam wash. It may not be getting much of a benefit, but it may help dislodge some grit particles or get rid to some tree sap. Argument can be made that just a pressure washer rinse may do the same. Maybe. Maybe not. Just seems to me that a good to great foaming soap (high lubricity, high cleaning power) would be of at least some benefit. My soap of choice, CG Maxi Suds II, was chosen based on Russell's video of the soap. It wasn't the best soap, but it was among the soaps that cleaned the best as a foam wash. I hadn't even heard of the Maxi Suds II before watching Russell's video review of it. Without the review, I probably would have chosen some other soap, and it would have been hit or miss as to whether that soap would have done as good a job (considering the number of soaps out there, probably miss).

As for Gary Dean, or Russell, or Junkman 2000, or any of the Youtube detailing hosts, I do watch their videos, but I don't necessarily agree with their points of view. I respect their efforts, but they don't always come across as logical to me. Gary Dean has his views on foam cannons, and I don't agree with them. Junkman 2000 is a two bucket wash method guy; I use a one bucket method (like Russell does). Russell doesn't think that increased foam cannon lubrication will cause the foam to slide of quicker. I disagree because it seems only logical that a slicker/slipperier surface would allow gravity to pull the foam down faster. Junkman even contradicts himself sometimes. What I am saying is that there are many ways to detail a car. Everybody has their own way, and if it is working for them, great. I am pretty new at this, but did a lot of reading, an watching of videos before I got started from multiple sources. I took what I thought was the most logical parts of many processes and jumbled them together when I started doing my own detailing. Doesn't mean anybody was wrong, just meant that I used what works for me. I get a lot from the detailing videos, I don't let them think for me. They all provide some information that is useful, but they also mix in some opinions that I don't agree with. I couldn't for example, run out and get upwards of 50 car soaps to try in order to find the one that was best for me. Russell has done that in a video series, so I take that information to help me decide where to start. Where else are you going to get valid comparisons made? Watching vendor videos doesn't work; CG must have a dozen soaps out, and according to their videos, every single one of them is the best; all of them make thick foam, all of them clean perfectly. Guess what: NOPE.

What Gary Dean says about foam cannons may be completely correct in Florida. I don't live in Florida, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. In the summer, we get a lot of blown dirt particles on everything. Our humidity is low, the summers get hot, it is windy most of the time, and dust blows everywhere, all the time. So, in our part of the world, I think a foam cannon pre-wash helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast