autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Used a grinder near my corvette, now paint has hundreds on small rusty pits!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Insurance would pay. If wind blows a healthy tree limb on your friend's car, homeowder's insurance will not pay because that is an "act of god." As I found out.

Rates should not go up. There's a word that the insurance agent told me that I have forgotten, but basically means your premiums won't go up because it wasn't your fault.

your state may vary.
    Call your insurance agent and ask him if they would cover a repaint on a corvette because your brother in law ran a grinder next to it an ruined the paint and then report back to us. No way would home owners insurance cover this and I'm with the best insurance company in the country. USAA.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Used a grinder near my corvette, now paint has hundreds on small rusty pits!!!

I'm curious to know who's house this occurred at.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this happened. Based upon your explanation of the event, I would state with reasonable certainty that no polishing will fix the paint.
    The hot shards of metal hitting the car probably caused enough damage to have to repaint.

As others have asked, did this happen at your house? I'm envisioning that you perhaps left your vette in what you thought was a safe place to perhaps store the vehicle? Did your BIL give you any notice he was going to do this kind of work in advance? Certainly negligence on your BIL's behalf.

But he is family, so it's best that either he pay for repairs, or your or his INS pays, or you pay, and forgive and forget.... Thanksgiving will be difficult if you carry a grudge.

Post Thanks / Like

It will depend on whose property it was on.

If it is on the OP's property,
    it will be on his homeowner's insurance.
    He could get the BIL to cover teh deductible.

If it is on BIL's property, OP should be
    covered by BIL's homeowner's insurance.

If it was on neutral ground,
    that will be on OP's auto insurance.

I went through an insurance situation
    recently with a windstorm and a tree limb.
    ^^^Nope...None of that is relevant, IMO.^^^

It's the BIL's responsibility to
    make reparations. Question is:
    Will he man-up?

Insurance would pay.
    Rates should not go up.

There's a word that the insurance
    agent told me that I have forgotten,
    but basically means your premiums
    won't go up because it wasn't your fault.

your state may vary.
    Was the word: Indemnify (hold harmless)?

•Insurance premiums won't go up?
    -Wait 'til the policy renewal hits the
    mailbox...the insurance company, in
    their own inducible manner, is going
    to recoup at least part of the "Corvette
    Tax": the payout for that new paint job
    and hatch glass.

•Again:
    -According to the OP's narrative:
    The BIL is responsible. He should
    not, then, be "held harmless"!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Sorry to hear this happened. Based upon your explanation of the event, I would state with reasonable certainty that no polishing will fix the paint.
    The hot shards of metal hitting the car probably caused enough damage to have to repaint.

As others have asked, did this happen at your house? I'm envisioning that you perhaps left your vette in what you thought was a safe place to perhaps store the vehicle? Did your BIL give you any notice he was going to do this kind of work in advance? Certainly negligence on your BIL's behalf.

But he is family, so it's best that either he pay for repairs, or your or his INS pays, or you pay, and forgive and forget.... Thanksgiving will be difficult if you carry a grudge.
    First I want to thank everyone for their replies!

It did happen at my home.

I had taken it for cruise and went to the store. Yes, I did have it an area that any competent individual would consider safe. He pulled his pickup to work on the racks. I get home and see the damage and his truck right beside. I asked "Did you see my car there?". His reply "Yeah, I saw it. But I thought it would only take a minute and besides if I parked further away I would have to run another extension cord".

And I was stupid enough to listen to my wife when she said, " Just let him stay for a little while, he's lost his job and has nowhere to go". If he was like this at work no wonder he's unemployed.

I SHOULD CHALK THIS UP TO UP TO MY OWN STUPIDITY!

Once again thanks for your replies!

Post Thanks / Like

I would be livid...

Post Thanks / Like

Try CarPro's Iron-X. This will dissolve the iron that is showing up as rust. Then try compounding. If that is not enough then try sanding to correct.

If you have enough paint left on the car then this should work. Afterward, polish with Essence then make sure you coat the paint with Gtechniq CSL.

Best of luck,
    James

Post Thanks / Like

What year is this Corvette? Any pics?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to hear what your car insurance says.

From my experience homeowners insurance won't do anything as it didn't cover any of our 4 cars totaled in a house fire. The car insurance covered the cars. The one car that wasn't insured (a 68 vette I was restoring and didn't have comprehensive coverage on because I thought, in error, that if anything happened to it while it was in the garage not running)...was not covered at all.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

First and foremost, sorry to hear about your car. Yes I too would probably be pretty hot to say the least. I agree with the others that say the BIL is the one who needs to make it right. Not the insurance company. It will only make things awkward with the family for him if he doesn't make things right, you did nothing wrong IMO. If you get stiffed (hope not), one day BIL might need something, karma!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast