autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax-Sealer Question

I got a question that's easy for most on here to answer. I used to detail cars at a dealership late 80's early 90's. allot has changed sine ive been out of the business. Now I just enjoy detailing my pride and joy. really just wash. use a local waterless wash and Mothers carnuba. My question is whats the difference between was, and sealer? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax-Sealer Question

Wax typically is described by products that include carnauba wax, a naturally occuring wax extracted from the leaves of a palm species called Copernicia prunifera. It is a natural wax that is then mixed with other ingredients like oils etc to soften up the application process and allow it to be more workable as a protectant layer on vehicle paint. Sealants, on the other hand, refer to manmade products...chemical polymers typically, that are more robust and chemically cross link and then bond to the paint forming a more substantial and longer lasting protectant.

From your screen name it looks like you are in Florida. I am too and have abandoned using natural waxes like carnauba altogether down here. the reason for me is that they simply don't last in this climate. Sealants, for me, are much more durable and coatings (super sealants) last even longer. I am still of the opinion that nothing equals the shine and gloss of carnauba based waxes but I don't like having to apply it every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Wax is organic, sealant is synthetic. That's the only difference They are both "wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Wax typically is described by products that include carnauba wax, a naturally occuring wax extracted from the leaves of a palm species called Copernicia prunifera. It is a natural wax that is then mixed with other ingredients like oils etc to soften up the application process and allow it to be more workable as a protectant layer on vehicle paint. Sealants, on the other hand, refer to manmade products...chemical polymers typically, that are more robust and chemically cross link and then bond to the paint forming a more substantial and longer lasting protectant.

From your screen name it looks like you are in Florida. I am too and have abandoned using natural waxes like carnauba altogether down here. the reason for me is that they simply don't last in this climate. Sealants, for me, are much more durable and coatings (super sealants) last even longer. I am still of the opinion that nothing equals the shine and gloss of carnauba based waxes but I don't like having to apply it every week.
    Yeah I hear ya about the Florida heat. I am using Mothers California Gold now. looks great. water beads up nice. but what I hat is when it rains and sun comes out. those nice beads of water stain. I started another thread about waterless carf washes. the one I use says "Cleans polishes, and protects" works nice. loooks great does shine nice but jury is out about the protection. so I wax the top pannels. on the other thread people where saing to use sealant instead. I'm guessing that wont make the water bead?

Post Thanks / Like

Both waxes and sealants should yield beading of water, especially when freshly applied.

Post Thanks / Like

so how do you deal with water spots?

Post Thanks / Like

My daily driver is garaged but if i'm caught out in a rain i use a leaf blower when I get home. A quick 10-15 mins and I blow as much as I can off the paint asap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Floridian Mustang View Post
    Yeah I hear ya about the Florida heat. I am using Mothers California Gold now. looks great. water beads up nice. but what I hat is when it rains and sun comes out. those nice beads of water stain. I started another thread about waterless carf washes. the one I use says "Cleans polishes, and protects" works nice. loooks great does shine nice but jury is out about the protection. so I wax the top pannels. on the other thread people where saing to use sealant instead. I'm guessing that wont make the water bead?
    What you want is a product that will sheet the water, try menzerna endless shine, the 1 with the red hand pump

Post Thanks / Like
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is garaged also. but if we get a storm at like 12-3 and I dont leave till 5 =water spots

And I dont like water spots on my Deep Impact Blue Mustang jk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast