autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Single stage paint '84 Beechcraft Bonanza

I know this is an Auto detailing forum, but I've recently tried to take my detailing to my plane. I've got an 84 Beechcraft with single stage paint. I've got a porter cable random orbital and the griots machine polishes.

I recently did a full detail on the plane and generally it looks amazing compared to before but in the right light in the hangar I can see differences in the paint where the orbital went. I don't think these are tiger stripes as referred to here but i'm not sure what this is or how I can clean it up.

I washed/dried the plane, did a round of griots paint cleaning clay and then machine polish 3 to test followed by 1,2,3, a round of meguires 7 (after reading about the oils in it here) and finally applied griots poly wax.

Here are some photos showing the issue which can be seen in the right lighting in the hangar but generally isn't noticed out in the sun or while flying.

thanks for the help!

Single stage paint '84 Beechcraft Bonanza-img_2845-jpgSingle stage paint '84 Beechcraft Bonanza-img_2846-jpgSingle stage paint '84 Beechcraft Bonanza-img_2847-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single stage paint '84 Beechcraft Bonanza

very hard to put tiger stripes in aviation finish.Aviation material is very hard as to pulling out oxidation and sanding scratches.I just did.a 1967 single prop that hasn't been washed in 5 years.Nothing in the car sector would put a dent in this or any other oxidized single stage aluminum. So since ag doesn't sell aviation approved compound and polishes nuvite in islip long island will.steer you in the right direction.Take a look at some.of my aviation work on FB St lucie auto spa.James from nuvite will call you and steer you where you need to be.Im doing more planes than cars the profit is much larger and there really isn't anyone qualified in restoring old and new planes.call nuvite.

Post Thanks / Like

Just did a beechcraft bonanza 3 days ago looks dripping wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Hit it again using your DA with HD Speed. I do not think you could tiger stripe the paint used on your Bonanza, it's much to hard IMHO....looks to me that incorrect product was used for the condition of the paint although I have a hard time offering anymore advice based on pictures alone. HD Speed should bring a shine to it ...Try it, what do you have to loss. i have come to love the result of this product. Also there are aviation specific polishes and waxes that deal directly with badly oxidized Alloy. I never have used them on my plane but they do exists...my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

HD polish won't do it.There is a product called nupol its HD speed on mega steroids.you apply this product let it dry and buff off with day.Its a strong cleaner gloss enhance with UV protection and other protective qualities delta and united use this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    HD polish won't do it.There is a product called nupol its HD speed on mega steroids.you apply this product let it dry and buff off with day.Its a strong cleaner gloss enhance with UV protection and other protective qualities delta and united use this stuff.
    Thanks GSKR....HD Speed worked great on my Bonanza but it wasn't oxidized. I really appreciate the sharing of knowledge. As a bonanza owner myself , I tried my best to help but fell short...Sorry ARB for any confusion I may have caused. Again, was only attempting to help to the best of my ability and personal experience.

I placed a link below to the product GSKR recommends, if I broke any Forum rules please delete...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...uvitenupol.php

Post Thanks / Like

I did a 1982 single prop don't remember the make.That was the only plane I started and walked off.It was to far gone.Need aviation products when working on rough stuff.Car products will benefit if its in good shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DZ302 View Post
    Thanks GSKR....HD Speed worked great on my Bonanza but it wasn't oxidized. I really appreciate the sharing of knowledge. As a bonanza owner myself , I tried my best to help but fell short...Sorry ARB for any confusion I may have caused. Again, was only attempting to help to the best of my ability and personal experience.

I placed a link below to the product GSKR recommends, if I broke any Forum rules please delete...

NUVITE NUPOL METAL POLISH/RESTORER from Aircraft Spruce
    Stuff is great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arb View Post
    I washed/dried the plane, did a round of griots paint cleaning clay and then machine polish 3 to test followed by 1,2,3, a round of meguires 7 (after reading about the oils in it here) and finally applied griots poly wax.
    I'm not really sure what you're showing in your picture, but I'm pretty sure that Meg's #7 was a waste of time on this paint. Even back in the days when cars were painted with lacquer, your airplane would have been painted with "Imron", a two part polyurethane similar to today's clearcoats, which would simply be impenetrable to those "oils". My arm hurts just thinking about buffing off #7 on a vehicle that large.