autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing a horse trailer...need help!

I have a potential customer interested in having her horse trailer detailed. I've never tackled something like it so not sure where to begin or what to tell her. Here's a pic...

Detailing a horse trailer...need help!-horse-trailer-jpg

Not sure if that's aluminum or steel above the tandem axle trailer and what about the white portion of the trailer? Guessing I need to ask more questions before proceeding but she's an hour away so hate to drive there and back to see it with my own eyes.

I have the Flex 3401 and a ton of foam pads(every color in the rainbow) but no wool/mf pads. What do you think? Any pad/product suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing a horse trailer...need help!

Don't have any pad recommendations, David. But I'll guarantee the metal above the wheels is aluminum. That much steel would add a ton of weight to the trailer.

As for the white, it has to be either painted aluminum or fiberglass.

Hope this helps you in some way.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

My approach would be to do an AIO...
    Go around the trailer once and then you're done.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Some of these trailers have a gelcoat, so you might want to look into whether that's going to change your polishing plans. I bet the other stuff is aluminum as well.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Nuvite products are great for gelcoats or single stage aluminum.They don't sell that product on here ,there based out of I slip.They have a product caller nupol it's a strong cleaner and brighter for aviation .by hand or machine it's a awesome product.Check out my fb page St Lucie auto spa.I detailed a 1967 airplane with that product and the before and after are amazing.

6. Thanks Ranger5477 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. I did confirm with the owner that it is aluminum and not steel. Thinking of going this route with the Flex 3401...

step #1 Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Fine Aluminum Polish for weathered aluminum trailers, diamondplate, wheels, bumpers, and trim. Airstream trailer polish, metal

step #2 Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Concours Metal Sealant, aluminum sealant, metal protectant, chrome sealant

and these pads - 6.5 inch 50/50 Wool Acrylic Polishing Pad (3 Pack)

I've got so many foam pads and products that I'm confident I can find something to make that white part shine. I'll be sure to share pics after.

David

Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty simply a cargo trailer. And not a cheap one no doubt.

Usually the biggest offender on the Trailer, especially the painted panels is dirts and discoloring of the paint.

Rains, and rain drip stains are one culprit. Comes from a lack of protection, usually many people aren't anal about upkeep.

It calls for some type of cleaner, to rid the paint of dirts, and as well maybe some clouding-hazing, and loss of gloss due to oxidation.

Yeah, good ole Meguairs Cleaner Wax at about $6 a pint will cleanse the paint without causing any damages from being too aggressive a product.

Personally, and if it can be helped-avoided, I wouldn't go at it with a aggressive Polish or Compound. All one would do is remove and thin precious paint in the process.

Problem with that Megs Cleaner Wax. Two weeks later, water won't even bead, the stuff is gone, caput, not at all a long lasting product. But it has good detergent cleansing action. And it's cheap, and easily gotten just about anywhere.

What I've done for years, and do on my own Cargo Trailer lately, is concoct a Frankenstein mixture of Megs, and another product of choice that has good durability.

And the one product I often reach for is Collinite #845 Insulator Wax.

Easy, it's a liquid, squirt a bit of this and a bit of that on a pad and go at it. The Colly #845 is now "fortified" with more cleansing action to rid the dirt, stains, oxidation, leaving behind high gloss, and a more durable protection. I've found they play pretty well together.

And removal is fairly easy with some terry Cloth Towels after.

Whatever you do, don't resort to Duragloss #501! Ask me how I know, and found out the (very) hard way. Stuff just not come off these types of finishes sadly.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post

I have a potential customer interested in having her horse trailer detailed. I've never tackled something like it so not sure where to begin or what to tell her. Here's a pic...

I have the Flex 3401 and a ton of foam pads(every color in the rainbow) but no wool/mf pads. What do you think? Any pad/product suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David
    Hi David,

Here's your picture,

Like others suggested, I'd do the painted or gel-coat portions with a AIO or cleaner/wax. (same thing, different words). My favorite is the 3D HD Speed. Killer product. Use it with a foam polishing pad on your 3401 and clean your pad of the.

For the aluminum, if it's not in bad shape, any brand name aluminum polish will shine it up and you can also use your FLEX 3401 with a foam polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I really over-thought this then. An AIO it is - HD Speed and McKee's 360 are my favorites. And an aluminum polish. Time to get to work.

Thanks all for the imput. Mike, I look forward to meeting/working with you when you visit LC Mfg for the 2-Day Road Show in Wisconsin in August.

David

Mike Phillips

Ok, I really over-thought this then. An AIO it is - HD Speed and McKee's 360 are my favorites. And an aluminum polish. Time to get to work.
    Have fun with this project, looking forward to the "after" pictures.

Thanks all for the imput. Mike, I look forward to meeting/working with you when you visit LC Mfg for the 2-Day Road Show in Wisconsin in August.

David

Looking forward to meeting and working with you also.

I have some catching up to do since I was offline for roughly 5 days for this last 3-day class here at Autogeek but as soon as I can I'll start posting pictures of the class this last weekend and I think everyone is going to be blown away at the before and after pictures of the amazing cars we worked on.

Plus, having David and Don from Lake Country Buffing Pads attend this class primed them to know what to expect when Autogeek rolls into town.

It's going to be fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast