autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question alright .. really how do you wash a big suv in the sun

Ya I know .. not supposed to do it in the sun .. well I dont have a shop and I dont have a canopy. So for now until I can get to the point where I have a shop most of mine are going to be done at my house outside washing.

I did a Nissan pathfinder today and luckily it was an overcast day and not too hot .. light breeze.

So I thought oh ya this is going to be nice and not dry too fast.

welllll not so much. I dont know if it was due to the size of it slowing me down or what but by the time I got the top done I went straight to the driver side.. by the time I got that done the passenger side was drying out with the foam on it. Then I said screw it and went back to the driver side and re-did it quickly and then rinsed the top and the drivers side off. Thought I was good on that side.

well again no .. by the time I did the passenger side the driver side was drying and started to have water spots on it .. even though I sheeted the water off. Water spots mainly on the glass areas. Windshield and all.

I am just not sure how to get this done right .. or if there is a right way to do it better to avoid water spots as much as possible.

I used a foam cannon to soak the car first .. I even put in some wolfgang uber rinseless wash in the foam cannon and the soapy water thinking that would help a bit .. but didnt seem to.

do people break the car up into sections when outside like wash and dry a section at a time?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: alright .. really how do you wash a big suv in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    Ya I know .. not supposed to do it in the sun .. well I dont have a shop and I dont have a canopy. So for now until I can get to the point where I have a shop most of mine are going to be done at my house outside washing.

I did a Nissan pathfinder today and luckily it was an overcast day and not too hot .. light breeze.

welllll not so much. I dont know if it was due to the size of it slowing me down or what but by the time I got the top done I went straight to the driver side.. by the time I got that done the passenger side was drying out with the foam on it. Then I said screw it and went back to the driver side and re-did it quickly and then rinsed the top and the drivers side off. Thought I was good on that side.

well again no .. by the time I did the passenger side the driver side was drying and started to have water spots on it .. even though I sheeted the water off. Water spots mainly on the glass areas. Windshield and all.

I am just not sure how to get this done right .. or if there is a right way to do it better to avoid water spots as much as possible.

I used a foam cannon to soak the car first .. I even put in some wolfgang uber rinseless wash in the foam cannon and the soapy water thinking that would help a bit .. but didnt seem to.

do people break the car up into sections when outside like wash and dry a section at a time?

Thanks
    yes acept you just wash a section at a time not dry a section at a time. then you can keep rewetting the sections while you go around the car, I usually wake up early and wash mine before it gets to bright but if i have to do it in the sun i like to do the section thats in the shade first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post

Thanks
    There are so many variables.Always use wash and wax soap products.wash it then rewet the whole vehicle then dry the first side where the sun is beating on paint first.you said it was overcast I'm thinking it's your water.

Post Thanks / Like

For a big SUV when I'm using a foam cannon I just foam up a section at a time, wash it, and then rinse. Yes you get some overspray of foam on some already completed sections sometimes, but just make sure you rinse well. Also I use and have used my CR Spotless (since around 2008) and I never have water spots. I can let a black car dry in the hot NC July sun and I don't get spots.

Mike Phillips

Simple...

Set your alarm for about one hour before sunrise.

Start early.

Work in the cool of morning.

When I lived in the Mohave Desert- this is how I washed our black Honda Pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

A good rinsless wash will reduce the water spots unfortunately you have other issues when using a quick detailer as a drying aid on hot surface, however this is another option.

To me it's just not worth the time and effort to wash a large SUV in the sun especially dark colord ones

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't Poorboy's sell sun friendly products only?
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpacker92 View Post
    For a big SUV when I'm using a foam cannon I just foam up a section at a time, wash it, and then rinse. Yes you get some overspray of foam on some already completed sections sometimes, but just make sure you rinse well. Also I use and have used my CR Spotless (since around 2008) and I never have water spots. I can let a black car dry in the hot NC July sun and I don't get spots.
    I am looking at that filter.

are you using that filter hooked up to the pressure washer or just the hose for rinsing?

if you are using it hooked up to the pressure washer what psi and gpm is it? mine is a 3200 psi and 3.5gpm pressure washer and I am wondering if it reduces water flow to go through the filter to the point where I couldnt use the pressure washer that I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a rinseless or waterless wash and if you are worried about water spots with a rinseless, use distilled water.

Post Thanks / Like

Literally one section at a time with your favorite RW or WW👈

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast