autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ok I am about to buy a Rupes and I really need to know for sure ..

Rupes - check out Kevin browns page Buff Daddy
    YouTube - search Kevin brown and AMMO NYC
    If you want absolute power look into FLEX and ask Mike Philips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ceerokz View Post
    I kind of look at Rupes as finesse tools with great cutting "potential". I wouldn't recommend them to someone who preferred a more heavy handed approach to polishing paint. They simply seem to disappoint those using them. The operator ends up overheating, chewing up pads, and complaining about lack of power because it won't maintain rotation while being mashed against a contour with 20 lbs of pressure on it.

I guarantee that same person would be in love with the Flex 3401.

Pad stall seems to be a concern with the OP. If there is was ever a reason to go with the 3401, that is it. You can also use 4" pads with it via the Lake Country plate.

The 3401 has no problem turning heavy cutting wool pads, and is not at all worried about pad or product specifics, where some of the long stroke tools that were developed along side proprietary pad/polish systems, might struggle with after market accessories.

This all coming from a "random orbital guy".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I kind of look at Rupes as finesse tools with great cutting "potential". I wouldn't recommend them to someone who preferred a more heavy handed approach to polishing paint. They simply seem to disappoint those using them. The operator ends up overheating, chewing up pads, and complaining about lack of power because it won't maintain rotation while being mashed against a contour with 20 lbs of pressure on it.

I guarantee that same person would be in love with the Flex 3401.

Pad stall seems to be a concern with the OP. If there is was ever a reason to go with the 3401, that is it. You can also use 4" pads with it via the Lake Country plate.

The 3401 has no problem turning heavy cutting wool pads, and is not at all worried about pad or product specifics, where some of the long stroke tools that were developed along side proprietary pad/polish systems, might struggle with after market accessories.

This all coming from a "random orbital guy".
    I was seriously looking into those due to the forced rotation. But then I started seeing how the Flex only has an 8mm throw and the rupes has 15 and 21mm throws and that makes it much faster in correcting even without putting a lot of pressure down on the pad ..etc .. really wish I had a way to try these out .. but I am out of luck on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The 3401 is not at all worried about pad or product specifics
    If that's the case, then why do 99.9% of the people say to use LC Hybrids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ceerokz View Post
    Rupes - check out Kevin browns page Buff Daddy
    YouTube - search Kevin brown and AMMO NYC

actually the only thing I have seen him say about his choice between the two was some vague post that said something like .. if you look deep into my avatar eyes you might see the answer.

but I also see him in videos and on here almost always talking about the Rupes .. So I am guessing that he is more of a rupes guy than a flex guy.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are coming from a Porter Cable you will love a Rupes MKII 15 or 21 in fact the 15 would be a great all around and the Porter could be used for 4" and 3" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    I am about to buy a rupes. I am looking at the mark II 21 and the mark II 15. I am leaning towards the 21 for the bigger pad size and power. Now when I say power I see that they both claim to be 30% more powerful than the previous model. BUT I have seen numerous comments that say the mark II 21 is more powerful than the mark II 15, meaning that its harder to get it to stall. This to me does not make sense due to the power increase on both of the polishers and as far as I can tell the only difference is the pad size.

so there is that.

also I want to know what is the smallest pad size that you can use on the mark II 21? I do see 4inch Rupes pads on this site ... but I thought that the mark II only went down to 5 inch pads? If you can do it and it just vibrates a little .... thats fine.. im coming from a PC .. so I am not concerned with a little vibration.

is there even a 4 inch backing plate option for the Rupes mark II 21?

also is the rupes microfiber pads worth anything? I have seen reviews on amazon .. and they arent good.

and the HD model .. is the only difference the power cord?

Thanks for the help
    what other polishers do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    If that's the case, then why do 99.9% of the people say to use LC Hybrids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Hybrids are an after market recommendation. Flex inever specified what pads to use with it.

I would assume a majority of the people who bought the Hybrids, did so initially on recommendation, and may not have even tried anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

You still have the PC? Hope you still do. Adding a 3 inch bp is nice. For a long throw go get the 21. Just be patient and learn the technics. I have the Boss g15 and I love it but I wish I got the g21.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    I was seriously looking into those due to the forced rotation. But then I started seeing how the Flex only has an 8mm throw and the rupes has 15 and 21mm throws and that makes it much faster in correcting even without putting a lot of pressure down on the pad ..etc .. really wish I had a way to try these out .. but I am out of luck on that one.
    I'm confused a bit. The 15 and 21 correct faster, but you've not tried them out yet?

Or this is what you've read?

Not calling you out, just trying to clarify.

I just see concerns over power and stalling. I know that the 3401 has power in spades, and will never stall.

The long stroke tools have a bit of a learning curve that sometimes frustrates people new to using them. Even I had issues my first go round with my Duetto! I almost sold that thing at least a half dozen times..... But I finally got the hang of it after some dedicated time using it. That never happened with the 3401. With the 3401 I put the pad on, and started working immediately.

Anyway, just a consideration based of observing your concerns.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast