autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help needed on shadow black Mustang GT dealer installed swirls

Hello All, skip to second paragraph for question.

i recently had my garage queen Mustang in for an oil change and the tech wiped the dirty car down with rags which and you could imagine completely swirled the paint. They offered to buff and fix damage. Only problem is the person running the buffer had a very poor technique and the entire car has even worse swirls from the buffer all over it.

How do I get my show car shine back? I currently use an MT300 with UC/UP with the 5 inch Megs foam pads. Maroon,yellow, black. I've only started messing around with fixing the issue but I want the paint as flawless as I had it prior to the dealer screw up. Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated as at this point I have to find the time to do the entire car and the hood is likely where I will start. I used some UP and the yellow polishing pad and got some of the swirls, but it looks like I need a little more cut for some of the damage. How does one do this correctly and how do I finish out with a mirror like finish(which I previously had) without any trace of having used a DA. Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm at my wits end trying to have someone else correct the problem when so far it's only been made worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help needed on shadow black Mustang GT dealer installed swirls

try using the polishing pad (yellow) with UC and see where it gets you. if you're new to machine polishing (notice the slow arm movement), check out this video...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. That's the step I was thinking of trying next. I'll def check out the video as I want to improve my machine polishing skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I would try a polish first in spot on the hood or a horizontal panel instead of a compound right off. If you can get away with just polish then you save yourself a step by not having to compound and then polish. You could try M205 with a light polish pad (white and probably want something more aggressive) or something harder like a green or orange pad, (all mine are hexlogic pads) the green is a medium polishing pad and the orange is a cutting pad. Also what worked really well for me was a microfiber 5inch cutting pad with M205 on speed setting 5. I did 4 to 6 passes .. 2 or 3 passes with heavy pressure so the line was spinning about once a second or a little faster. Then I did 2 to 3 passes with light pressure .. not so light that it was just free spinning, but light enough it was moving pretty quickly and just barely slowed down the rotation. All of this is fairly slow arm speed and of course overlapping passes. This not only took out swirls but left a really good finish as well due to the polish. I just cleaned the microfiber pad with a pad brush while it was spinning at speed 5 or 6 and did that after every 1/2 panel .. hood will be like 4 to 5 panels. doors I cleaned the pad twice on...etc When going the microfiber route completely cover the entire face of the pad with the compound OR polish by working it into the pad with your hand/fingers. Then place about 3 dots on the pad and dab on the car section and get to work.

I actually used the microfiber and M205 method and it worked out great .. I mean I still went over the car with white pad using Ultimate Polish (less cut and more polish oils than M205) AFTER the M205 (speed 4 with light pressure for 3 to 4 passes ever so slightly faster arm speed) ... but thats just me.

IF you used meguairs M205/Ultimate polish... you can use the Ultimate Liquid Wax (sealant) and there is no need for an IPA wipe down .. as the Ultimate Liquid wax/sealant is miscible ..which means it will meld with the polish oils in the 205/ ultimate polish. It just builds on top of the shine from the polishing oils too!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get away with the least aggressive method and I'm trying polish on what seem like minor scratches with the Megs yellow pad but I barely made a dent in some of the marks. I may try the UC with the yellow pad or the UP with the maroon pad. It's kind of like trial and error at this point since some sections are worse than others and I'm trying to get a uniform look across the entire car. Any AIO products recommended by anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

3D HD Speed is a great AIO

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I've seen some reviews on the stuff. Just curious if it lived up to the claims.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive heard good things about meguiars d151 AIO. Change the abrasiveness by changing the pad type with protection thats supposed to last a long time several months. I havent used it yet .. but I have some coming.

Also I have heard stuff about McKees 37 360 AIO. That has a sealant in it thats supposed to last up to a year I believe. I dont know about how aggressive it is compared to something like D151 though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDYGYCTLLT View Post
    Thanks. I've seen some reviews on the stuff. Just curious if it lived up to the claims.

Check this link out.

2015 Camaro Meets 3D HD Speed / Poxy
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast