autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Reapply Cquartz UK process

I will begin by saying that I am not a pro in any way when it comes to detailing, however I do my best to research and put in an honest effort. Now, that being said, last year I followed the recommended process to prep and apply Cquartz and for the most part I am happy, beads like crazy and super easy to wash after. I did however notice a few high spots later but did not address them immediately. Fast forward 8 months and here we are. Seeing as the car is in storage for the winter, I figure now is a good time to tackle the car again. I have a heated garage so the temps won't be extremely cold, but they won't be summer like either. My question is how would i go about properly addressing the entire car? I understand I can just focus on the high spots, but personally I'd feel better if the entire car was redone.

I have a Griots DA and will get whatever compound, polisher I need to complete the task properly.

What order of steps are required?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reapply Cquartz UK process

Unless you really want to fully remove the existing CQ I don't see the point of going full polish and correction. In this case I would suggest using CarPro Essence "Xtreme Gloss Enhancer" as it is a light polish as well as now a base primer for CQ & CQUK. this should alow you to polish everything up leveling the high spots and be fully prep'd for the CQ application.

Then only if you ahve some areas that you need a stronger polish do you need to truly re-polish and re-prep.

Post Thanks / Like

So you think a pass with Essence will do the trick? I've read up on peoples reviews and they all seem to be positive. I will give it a try. What pads would you recommend? I hear that the MF pads are good, but can leave marring, will the Carpro Gloss pads be enough? Also, does anyone have experience with Essence Plus? Is this something I could/should apply after the initial pass with Essence primer?

Post Thanks / Like

If there are no swirls, scratches, or other defects that need to be addressed, then paint correction type work is just a waste of time and material.

Simply clean and decontaminate the surface to ensure it is properly cleaned.

Next, do a simple light polish on the car using something like Meguiar's M205 (you may also use Essence if you'd prefer). When I say a light polish, I mean like 2-3 relatively quick passes over a larger area than you would if you were doing correction work. This light polish can be completed in an hour or so... it should be quick and easy. Again, it is not paint correction, just a quick refinement of the surface and most importantly it ensures the paint is completely clean. (the high spots may need to be spot corrected with a smaller pad and compound)

Once polished, wipe the surface with an alcohol solution and then apply your coating.

I do this same process every 1.5 - 2 years on my cars as I keep them swirl free, and this deep cleaning light polishing process is all that is needed to remove light wash induced marring and maximize gloss.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 14gt View Post
    Also, does anyone have experience with Essence Plus? Is this something I could/should apply after the initial pass with Essence primer?
    Essence plus is meant to be used on top of an existing coating for added protection and to fill in minor defects, not prior to applying or reapplying a coating.

Essence Plus is NOT a primer. Don't use it beneath a coating.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the detailed replies, I know these may seem like novice questions so I appreciate all the information.
    So I understand correctly,
    Wash car with Reset
    Iron-x
    Nanoskin
    Address any high spots, scratches, swirls with compound
    Apply Essence
    Coat with Cquartz UK

Is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 14gt View Post
    Thank you for the detailed replies, I know these may seem like novice questions so I appreciate all the information.
    So I understand correctly,
    Wash car with Reset
    Iron-x
    Nanoskin
    Address any high spots, scratches, swirls with compound
    Apply Essence
    Coat with Cquartz UK

Is this correct?
    Sounds ok, but maybe Essence alone may take care of the defects instead of a compound. Try using Essence first.

Post Thanks / Like

Great, I'll give that a try first. Do you feel the Carpro gloss pad would be appropriate for the task?
    I need to order a few items and just want to make sure I get what I need.