autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Water spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe

Hi Mike,
    what should I use to remove the mineral etching water spots on a C7 Transparent, tinted roof panel? I have bought all sorts of glass type cleaners to try to remove the spots. Also, I have purchased ceriglass and glass polishing pads to use on my older cars windows ( which works fantastic as you know on removing water etching on glass) but I am sure it will be too harsh to use on the tinted roof panel. Some people have suggested that I use a finish polish on the C7 tinted roof panel. However, before I try this option out, I wanted your opinion as to what is the best thing that I should use to remove the etched water spots.Thanks for your suggestion as to what I should do about this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe

Can anyone then give me a suggestion on how to correct this problem in this thread? I have been told in a detailing group, I joined from Autogeek, to use a finish polish on the top but which one? I have literally bought all kinds of products from Autogeek ( sent another order in on Saturday) but want to try the one product that will be mild and least likely to damage my C7 transparent top but yet has the biggest chance of working on this problem. I don't want to just start grabbing and using any finish polish I have because I am sure someone out in our detailing community has run across this problem before and knows exactly what product I need to use to correct these etched hard water spots...I hope someone can help me and give me the name of the product they have used previously on this same type of problem I am trying to correct ..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by attyvette View Post
    hi mike,
    what should i use to remove the mineral etching water spots on a c7 transparent, tinted roof panel? I have bought all sorts of glass type cleaners to try to remove the spots. Also, i have purchased ceriglass and glass polishing pads to use on my older cars windows ( which works fantastic as you know on removing water etching on glass) but i am sure it will be too harsh to use on the tinted roof panel. Some people have suggested that i use a finish polish on the c7 tinted roof panel. However, before i try this option out, i wanted your opinion as to what is the best thing that i should use to remove the etched water spots.thanks for your suggestion as to what i should do about this problem.
    that's a tough stubborn part of the car.m101 by hand will make a improvement.that's if you have tried every spot remover.or fg 400 may improve that with out instilling micro scratches. I used m101 with a 3401 and came out 85 percent.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that top is acrylic so to much heat with a machine may scour it.To be on the safe side rub it out by hand first .So many products out there but from my experience FG 400 worked pretty good but I used a blue rupes pad with a da.Then went back over it with griots perfecting cream with a thin pro orange pad.Wasn't 100 percent but a major improvement and this top was hammere

Post Thanks / Like

Meant hammered.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Spotless.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    CarPro Spotless.
    Thanks I'll try that too!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you feel if the spot is raised or is it indented? If it is etched only polishing will help. If it is raised like where water has left a calcium spot try CarPro Spotless. If it is acrylic using a polish will likely create hazing, and if that happens the only solution I know is replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using DG Nu-Glass on Corvette roof panel once. AND ONLY ONCE.

An abrasive glass polish is way too aggressive. I had to hit the panel with M105 and orange pad like 4-5 times to get the marring out. The stuff is very tough. Start with a finishing polish and work your way up in aggressiveness until you get results.

Mike Phillips

I'm pretty sure the material you're working on is

Lexan

If you do a Google search and type in

Polishing Lexan Mike Phillips

Here's what you come up with...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...any-input.html

I'd highly recommend reading the above thread and my post which is post #3

Here's more...

Overspray - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...glass-top.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ratches-2.html

Polishing Plexiglass

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-cleaning.html

aircraft window screen

Be vary careful with Lexan plastics - they don't like to be abraded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast