autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought two coatings....what to use first?

Hey guys,

I bought two coatings that I now have the option to apply in the second week of September. This will be my first foray into coatings.

I have PBL v2 diamond paint coating and bought some Uber paint coating today(should be here in 9-10 days). I will be working in ambient temps of 95-100 in a semi sealed garage.

What coating is better for the first time user AND is weather friendly.

A point to note: Both coatings will be used in this week as I have 2 cars to play with, my 2016 Accord v6 and my gf's 6-7 year old severely neglected Pilot. Just trying to decide which one to use on mine lol, heart says Uber as its more expensive...

Her car is more like a test bed which she is giving me to play with to improve my "skills" while she is travelling for a few days.

TL/DR : What coating is better for me to learn with and make mistakes so as to perfect the second time. I feel its Uber due its better working time and depth of application (uses). PBL dries and flashes quickly etc.

Just need some clarity or other peoples ideas.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I bought two coatings....what to use first?

Sounds like your heart knows what to do already.

Uber on her pilot first for trial and error
    PBL on your ride for perfection

Post Thanks / Like

Pbl seems like it is like mckee's as far as application. If that is so, if you can apply a spray wax you should be able to easily apply it.

You may want to check shelf life after the syring is opened on the uber. If it isn't long then use it on both.

Post Thanks / Like

Both of these coatings are incredibly easy to use/apply with the advantage going to PBL in terms of user friendliness. However in terms of looks/durability the nod goes towards Über. Of course IMO/IME.

Based upon your location and temperature, I would get all the prep work finished the day prior and leave the coating instal for first thing in the morning. The cooler the ambient temperature the better off you will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Octopiston View Post

You may want to check shelf life after the syring is opened on the uber. If it isn't long then use it on both.
    This is what I am worried about. As far as packed goes, Uber is 18 months and PBL is 10 years. Not sure about what it is when it is open though :/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Both of these coatings are incredibly easy to use/apply with the advantage going to PBL in terms of user friendliness. However in terms of looks/durability the nod goes towards Über. Of course IMO/IME.

Based upon your location and temperature, I would get all the prep work finished the day prior and leave the coating instal for first thing in the morning. The cooler the ambient temperature the better off you will be.
    Thank you Mike. I am worried that I can do all the prep work but overnight, winds will blow and my cars will be covered in dust in just a matter of hours This is because If you think about a garage it is 3 walls and a garage door. Mine is Door + 1 wall. Rest are open. I am not far from the beach either so a lot of sand gets blown up.

I was thinking of Polish, prep and coat as I go. Would that be bad? Maybe the coating applicator would get hard too leaving such a long gap between each application.

2nd option : Polish it out. Next day use ONR rinseless - follow with prep polish or prep spray and coat. Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    Sounds like your heart knows what to do already.

Uber on her pilot first for trial and error
    PBL on your ride for perfection
    I think you got it the other way around lol. Uber on mine, PBL on hers.

Based solely on price

Post Thanks / Like

Would love a few more ideas/opinions.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Flip a coin lol.

Out of the two I've only used PBL and it's pretty forgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Use pbl on hers for the practice, then use uber on yours. Other suggestion is to go ahead and prep the car but be ready for a quick waterless/rinseless wash the next day when it's time to coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Use pbl on hers for the practice, then use uber on yours. Other suggestion is to go ahead and prep the car but be ready for a quick waterless/rinseless wash the next day when it's time to coat.
    Thanks man, thats sounds the like the right way to go. Just to confirm, by prep you mean including the PBL cleansing polish (or Wg perfect finish paint prep) as well right? By that I mean, on day one I will polish with say m205 and follow with paint prep and leave overnight to collect dust and follow with ONR next morning and then coat.

Just to be safe, isnt it better to leave both ONR and paint prep for the next day? That would be, ONR to remove dust safely, paint prep and then coat.

Edit: Wouldn't ONR before application harm the coating from bonding due to its polymers?
    Just curious.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast