autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

IDA question for you, Mike.

When you get a chance, Mike, i am very interested in IDA but will admit not knowing too much about it. I have been on the website and researched a bit but, again, haven't seen much discussion about it on the forums i visit. Is there anything you can offer from your perspective?

In the past i was one of those who threw in to discussions about having some type of "certification" for the detailing profession. I retired from a field that have several and they carried quite a bit of weight when you saw certain initials after someone's name. Professional standards and more importantly the maintenance of those standards, that is the recurrence of maintaining progressive standards, speaks volumes about one's committment to excellence in any field.

I was curious about seeing just a short paragraph from you on the subject. I realize you are tremendously busy and simply when you get a moment.

Or anyone here at AGO who is either affiliated or knows more about it.

Thanks,
    Paul Anderson
    Anderson Pro Auto Detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IDA question for you, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul I am surprised you didn't get any replies. I joined the IDA in December and am just an operator, haven't got the CD or SV yet but am working on it. My main reason for joining was the education opportunities with the webinars. I don't think having the certifications would make a lot of difference to some customers but it does help you stand out in a crowd. The Facebook group doesn't seem to be too large and out of control. I haven't had the time to post to the FB page since my job keeps me out of pocket more often than not. The IDA is into mentorships so that is another plus. I plan on continuing to be a member.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Guyb View Post

Paul I am surprised you didn't get any replies.
    Hi Guy,

I just now found and read this thread.

I think my 20+ year history of answering questions in-depth on this thing we call the "Internet" shows I do my best to answer as many questions as possible but I have to see and/or find the thread in order to reply to it.

The last 5-6 months here at Autogeek have been crazy busy and I'm the first to admit my forum time has been reduced substantially due to a lot travel and behind the scenes work related to the TV show.

Now that I'm aware I'll be happy to post a reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the ida, hope to meet you one day. You can call the ida office and all of your questions will get answers

Mike Phillips

Hey great question Paul.... sorry for my delay in getting back to you...

As mentioned in my reply to Guy and I know he wasn't singling me out, just wondering out loud why no one had answered you yet, I'm just stretched to the max on typing time all the time.

In a nutshell, the IDA is an organization trying to elevate the status and awareness of the detailing profession to the masses. The masses being Joe and JoAnne Consumer. This is to help them make better choices when it comes to hiring a detailer or detail shop to work on their car in the same way they make choices as to where to have the mechanicals on their car serviced.

The paint on a car is the most expensive part of the build at the factory level. It's also one of the most, if not the most important aspect of a car when it comes to sales both when new and also when used or traded in. The factory paint on a new car is around 2 mils thin. When unqualified detailers work on cars a lack of knowledge about proper and correct techniques, tools and products for exterior detailing can and will lead to the destruction of this thin, protective layer of paint that has a HUGE affect on the value of the car. Not to mention the owners enjoyment of the car.

Then there's all the other areas of the car like interiors, wheels, and tires, engine compartments, glass and trim. I have saying that goes like this,

"It takes just as long to do the job wrong as it takes to do the job right"

In fact I have an article by that name with a picture of a Camaro detailed for SEMA. Here's the link,

It takes just as long to do it wrong...

The average car owner knows squat about their car except where to add more gas and turn on the radio. Yet for most people, their car, truck or sports utility vehicle is the SECOND LARGEST PURCHASE they will ever make.

We here on AGO see examples of hack work all the time shared by our forum members and to me, hack work is a form of property crime. The reason why is because the damage is real and has huge cost ramifications to undo the damage and it simply doesn't have to happen except currently in the United States as well as the rest of the world, there is no governing body or organization to bring some form of common sense to the car detailing industry. As well as bring some form of sanity to it.

This is where the IDA comes into play. The organization is about education, training to elevate the education level and skill level of people that work in the car detailing industry. The IDA is about establishing uniform, standards for professional quality work performed in this industry for all IDA members to adhere to.

Compared to historical existing organizations the IDA is in its infancy but I'm happy to say its growing fast both in the U.S. and in the world thanks to the efforts of the members in the organization.

Like the old saying goes.... there's power in numbers and this applies to the IDA and its membership. There are more benefits to existence of the IDA organization and to being a member of the IDA that I can and will expound on in the future but suffice to say raising the status of the detailing craft and professional detailers had to start somewhere and that is what the IDA is... it's the start of a powerful organization to elevate the detailing industry and the people that call themselves professional detailers and in the long run my opinion is that it's better to be a part of the IDA and thus be part of the solution to the problems in this industry than to sit on the sidelines and let those that belong do the heavy lifting.

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm proud to be a member of the IDA.

The association has a common goal, To unite like minded passionate business men and women of this fantastic growing industry to the next level of professionalism.

Lead by industry leaders with a combined many years of experience, the association is in the right hands.

I've joined, because I take the industry extremely seriously and i want to convey this to my peers in the industry and my customers.

Education is key. We all know how advanced technology and technique has evolved and continues to change. The IDA is at the forefront to be able to both evaluate and communicate essential changes in the industry worldwide to it's members.

Leading manufacturers and suppliers are also on board to give support.

Becoming a member gives you access to fantastic resources through the IDA website as well as access to Webinars hosted monthly plus much more.

I'm very much looking forward to becoming a fully certified detailer through the IDA when this option becomes available to achieve in Australia.

I'm very glad I joined.

IDA question for you, Mike.-imageuploadedbyagonline1461620261-481626-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect response, Mike and thank you! Yes, i clearly understand your time has been stretched to the max lately and i greatly appreciate your perspective shared with us on this subject. IDA sounds like exactly what i and others have talked about in the past...a professional affiliation to bolster one's committment to expertise and to offer a set of conceptual standards to give both the customer and service provider some credibility.

I am looking forward to this organization's growth...and, as a member!

Thanks again, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

I also came from an industry with certification and professional standards (software), and I had the same questions when I first learned of the IDA. Since launching my business late last year and joining the IDA in February, what I have found is that the organization offers both written and live skills certification, logos and a library of webinars in addition to other more abstract benefits. While the visibility of the organization outside detailing circles is limited right now, I believe it is as much our task as members as it is the leaders of the IDA to educate our customer base about the benefits of the IDA and what it means to them. If we are successful, we will see public awareness of the IDA grow. I consider membership in the IDA an invaluable tool for detailers who take pride in their profession.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike I know you are very busy and can't answer every question directed at you when posted. I was mainly pointing out his last sentence which applied to all of us here in the forum that are IDA members. I can't get on the forum as much as when I am back home and when I am I don't have but 10-15 minutes at a time. This particular question day wasn't a good day over here for internet.