autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

ideal shop lighting setup?

i am getting my new paint correction area ready, unfortunatly i only have a single overhead 4ft light. my goal is to creats a lighting setup that eliminates the need to drag around a work light.

the area i have is 16ft x 30 ft with a 20 ft ceiling.i have 3 walls to put lights on plus hanging lights from the ceiling, the front of the bay opens to a 3000 sq. ft. shop.

i will try and get a picture of the area a little later.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ideal shop lighting setup?

1000 bulbs . Com, led high bay lights

Post Thanks / Like

I use this site! My shop is set up at 30fc and I would suggest more light than that...more like 50fc.
    E-conolight.com
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a paint correction light, a movable unit is your best bet. If you just want better general overhead lighting that is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

For general lighting this thread is pure gold!

The Best Light Fixture Ever! - The Garage Journal Board
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    For general lighting this thread is pure gold!

The Best Light Fixture Ever! - The Garage Journal Board
    ha, i've had that thread favorited for a while. that board is cool. have you tried the bulbs he's currently recommending? i called the one supplier "Bees Lighting" this week to ask them some questions about fixtures and the James bulbs and was put on hold too long. i hung up and got busy with other things so i didn't call back. i think it's cool to be able to score a fixture and two of those bulbs for such a relatively low price vs. the normal cost of a fixture and two regular T8s. a lot of performance for the money.

i have a new (to me) house and am setting up the garage. the lighting, at least the wiring, has to come soon because i need to board the attic and it will be a lot easier to wire w/o the flooring. i love the idea of the bulbs platonic is suggesting in that thread, but 5000k frosted instead. 4000k would probably be ok but i have a bunch of LED par38 bulbs and generally prefer the 5000k over 4000k for this sort of stuff. i have some challenges with the ceiling because i have many things in the way (garage door opener/brackets/etc., attic opening and more) but i think i will be able to make something outstanding using the info i've found in a few of the threads on that forum. one big thing i learned and i never thought about before was if the light is, say, 120*, have to think about the direction the light is going when you decide to mount it. i never through about that before because i'm so used to using household bulbs that cast an relatively even radius, no matter what the spread. those instances are the only time i ever thought about degree spread. narrow, wide, etc.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

just to update, i have a bunch of the basic 4ft twin tube fixtures coming from Bees Lighting. i will make a decision on the bulbs between the James/Diva Lite 4k or 5k as i have one of each coming. traditionally, i use 32W 5k fluorescent tubes for general shop lighting, so, 5k is what i like for this purpose, but with these new LEDs it's hard for me to trust no-name Asian manufacturers when it comes to color temperature even though there is DLC info for them. it's ok because i can use the 4k tubes over my bench no matter what if i end up going with 5k for everything else.

Chad, what did you end up doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    just to update, i have a bunch of the basic 4ft twin tube fixtures coming from Bees Lighting. i will make a decision on the bulbs between the James/Diva Lite 4k or 5k as i have one of each coming. traditionally, i use 32W 5k fluorescent tubes for general shop lighting, so, 5k is what i like for this purpose, but with these new LEDs it's hard for me to trust no-name Asian manufacturers when it comes to color temperature even though there is DLC info for them. it's ok because i can use the 4k tubes over my bench no matter what if i end up going with 5k for everything else.

Chad, what did you end up doing?
    Sorry, the notification system is like a week behind on here so I didn't get your reply until today. I'll be ordering the James/Diva fixtures and bulbs. The 5K bulbs are cheaper now and there is also a $10 off code for Bees right now, "MAYPROMO". I've talked to several people who've bought these fixtures and all were very happy with both the 4k and 5k bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Sorry, the notification system is like a week behind on here so I didn't get your reply until today. I'll be ordering the James/Diva fixtures and bulbs. The 5K bulbs are cheaper now and there is also a $10 off code for Bees right now, "MAYPROMO". I've talked to several people who've bought these fixtures and all were very happy with both the 4k and 5k bulbs.
    it's ok. thanks dude! i ended up hitting you up facebook

<--- Jared lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    it's ok. thanks dude! i ended up hitting you up facebook

<--- Jared lol
    LOL! Yeah, that clicked after I looked at the GJ forum about an hour after posting that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast